Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Low carb + lower fat page 26

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Wow OK I can't believe this thread is still going.
    The only thing I changed was stopped the BP coffee, and had a small meal instead. I am now eating 3 small meals a day, and still feel 100%, and in that week I lost 2.5 kg.
    I have not reduced my fat intake. I am having some leaner proteins, like chicken breast but with added fat. More so for variety more than anything. I am having small amounts of sweet potato, which is fine. But I did have a couple of sushi rolls the other day, but I did not feel great after, so probably will stay away from rice for now like I was.
    Just will be taking one day at a time for now.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Possibly slightly better terminology may be that the hormonal imbalances created by a carb heavy diet block the bodys ability to utilize fat metabolism effectively, it doesn't quite forget, just gotta clean out the line and reset for fat burning, but yes end result is the same no matter how you describe it.
    Exactly right but I didn't want to lay the "science-y" stuff on too heavily as I was talking to Gorbag.

janie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Exactly right but I didn't want to lay the "science-y" stuff on too heavily as I was talking to Gorbag.
    Ziiiiing! And correctly so.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Fair call, will keep that in mind.

jmsmall is offline Senior Member
    I'm new to forums but saw this post. In my reading I am struck that we all have different genetic baggage, and there is not a one size fits all diet for everyone. Some self experimentation is needed. In the pure low carb literature (Volek and Phinney, Westman) it is pretty clear that some people are extremely carb sensitive and won't lose weight unless they cut to 20-30 gm/day of carbs. Others (like me) are lucky and can do 50 gm/day and still lose. The Atkins approach, which many people don't read far enough in the book to understand, has you start with 20 gm/day for two weeks to adapt, but then start slowly adding back berries, nuts, other things with more and more carbs to figure out your own metabolism. I did 20 gm/day for a month and had few problems. If you feel weak, supplement salt with a couple of cups of boullion a day.

The major difference is probably the composition of the meals in that Mark stresses stopping grains for health reasons. But note that adding grains is the very last kind of plant food on the Atkins ladder (above berries, nuts, root vegies, then finally grains.) Functionally there isn't a nickel's worth of difference between the approaches!

Doc Jim

Think Atkins has evolved quite a bit toward the basic primal aproach, it was initialy very high protein based to achieve satiety/disgust.

Along with genetics, there is personal history, the variability between individuals is affected by longterm metabolic imbalances as well as twisted brain pathways and these do take quite a long time to relax and straighten out.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    If the body is fed too much carbs too frequently over a long period of time (aka the SAD), it does indeed "forget" how to burn fat. This is why people go through the carb flu.
    Even an obese and insulin resistant person burn fat from ingested food and stored bodyfat all the time, so that's just urban mythology without any scientific foundation whatsoever. What you call "carb flu" is not an physiological adaption to fat burning either, but never mind, just keep on by spewing nonsense and urban myths, at least it is entertaining to some extent...

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Even an obese and insulin resistant person burn fat from ingested food and stored bodyfat all the time, so that's just urban mythology without any scientific foundation whatsoever. What you call "carb flu" is not an physiological adaption to fat burning either, but never mind, just keep on by spewing nonsense and urban myths, at least it is entertaining to some extent...
    Please explain carb flu as you understand it.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Please explain carb flu as you understand it.
    Why should I, when there are almost as many different versions as there are people having those symptoms? The symptoms are real enough, but are not related to any physiological adaption to fat burning…

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Why should I, when there are almost as many different versions as there are people having those symptoms? The symptoms are real enough, but are not related to any physiological adaption to fat burning…
    I actually thought you might have something useful to say, obviously not.

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast