Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Low carb + lower fat page 25

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Gopintos, if you are still losing weight just continue to do what you are doing...
    Unfortunately I am not. I have just been spinning my wheels. Scratching my head. I have lost 20lbs in 11 months of primal. But the reality is, I weigh the same today as I did 5 months ago. Funny thing is, if you asked me 5 months ago, I was certain that I knew exactly what I was doing wrong and I knew exactly what I needed to change. The really funny thing is (okay, incredibly sad thing is...) never once did I think about increasing calories up anywhere close to BMR. I am consistently anywhere from 500 - 900 under BMR. Every single day. For a year. The 2 months prior to that, I was only a few hundred calories under BMR. Weight loss was about 10lbs per month then. Then it dropped to 5lbs after primal. Then eventually to no pounds. I blamed it on high fat. The higher the fat, the lower the calories. I did that for probably 5 or 6 months so it was close to 700 - 900 under BMR during that time period.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    Unfortunately there are too many answers to go through, so I will just reply to the original post.

If you reduce carbs and increase fat intake, like Mark suggests, your body will learn to burn fats. Additionally, fats are extremely important not only in terms of calories, but it terms of nutrient itself. Reducing the carbs will prevent insulin spikes: insulin is the hormone that carries fats to be stored. In short: no insulin spikes -> fats will stay around to be burnt evenly -> no carvings for food -> higher energy level (because the calories are used, not stored!!!) -> you'll actually find you eat less without forcing yourself to

If you reduce carbs AND fat and regularly live of lean proteins, you are training your body to burn proteins for energy. Not good. You can do it once per week, and only when your body has already learned to burn fat as the primary source of energy. That day of lean proteins (or if you want, total fasting, I personally prefer the second) you will enter that legendary state called ketosis that everybody here speaks about but very few actually understood.

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    Btw, I received this article today. Coincidence?

http://healthybabycode.com/why-eatin...-is-a-bad-idea

janie is offline Senior Member
    Gopintos-
    I admit to having not read thru the entire thread and I've been hoping someone more familiar with your BMR concerns would respond. But here are my thoughts based on my experience: When I lost my 70 pounds, I did so eating around my BMR ( some days higher, some lower - not planned, just turned out that way). I ate low carb (20-30 grams daily, with fat around 60%. I also found that if I took fat higher (and therefore the calories), it did seem to stop my progress. I'm wondering if you got you calories up closer to your BMR but continued to keep your fat around 60% (or more if that works for your metabolism) if the weight wouldn't start dropping again? You might see a gain initially but it may be worth the risk. Like you, I love Jaminet's PHD, but I fear I wouldn't have lost the pounds on it as well as I did keeping carbs as low as I did. Back then some extra asparagus could screw up my week. However, now that I'm maintaining a normal weight, I've found I can incorporate small amounts of white rice or potatoes with no harm. Good luck with working this out. It is my belief that our metabolisms vary greatly and we have to test & sometimes stumble b/f we find the sweet spot for our body and even that isn't carved in stone.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    Gopintos-
    I admit to having not read thru the entire thread and I've been hoping someone more familiar with your BMR concerns would respond. But here are my thoughts based on my experience:
    Thank you for taking the time to write.
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, so feel free to ignore me. I don't journal, so just going to spew here.

Ok, I started to spew & deleted. I think I will start a journal. I will have to figure out how....

OIC, it's just a thread in the journey section?
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

calee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post

just when i think i have this figured out, i realize i dont have a clue.
    amen!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by primal_alex View Post
    If you reduce carbs and increase fat intake, like Mark suggests, your body will learn to burn fats. Additionally, fats are extremely important not only in terms of calories, but it terms of nutrient itself. you'll actually find you eat less without forcing yourself to

If you reduce carbs AND fat and regularly live of lean proteins, you are training your body to burn proteins for energy. Not good.

http://healthybabycode.com/why-eatin...-is-a-bad-idea
    This^^^^

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal_alex View Post
    If you reduce carbs and increase fat intake, like Mark suggests, your body will learn to burn fats. Additionally, fats are extremely important not only in terms of calories, but it terms of nutrient itself. Reducing the carbs will prevent insulin spikes: insulin is the hormone that carries fats to be stored. In short: no insulin spikes -> fats will stay around to be burnt evenly -> no carvings for food -> higher energy level (because the calories are used, not stored!!!)
    Sounds good, except that you are wrong about almost everything in your post! The body never forgot to burn fat, everybody do it all the time, so you are plain wrong...

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Sounds good, except that you are wrong about almost everything in your post! The body never forgot to burn fat, everybody do it all the time, so you are plain wrong...
    If the body is fed too much carbs too frequently over a long period of time (aka the SAD), it does indeed "forget" how to burn fat. This is why people go through the carb flu.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    If the body is fed too much carbs too frequently over a long period of time (aka the SAD), it does indeed "forget" how to burn fat. This is why people go through the carb flu.
    Possibly slightly better terminology may be that the hormonal imbalances created by a carb heavy diet block the bodys ability to utilize fat metabolism effectively, it doesn't quite forget, just gotta clean out the line and reset for fat burning, but yes end result is the same no matter how you describe it.

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast