Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 291

Thread: Low carb + lower fat page 2

  1. #11
    Ayla2010's Avatar
    Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,296
    And Zach I don't have the strength to argue you with today. I am just looking for help , that doesn't involve too much sugar, as I truly don't think its going to help my diabetes.

  2. #12
    Shadowknight137's Avatar
    Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand.
    Posts
    613
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Angry kiwi, you have the people on here always saying calories are the only thing that matter.
    So in their logic I should have lost huge amounts of weight in the last 3 months, but its been 4 kg.
    I believe now this is due to my high insulin, (according to the Dr), but need to know if this is correct.
    Maybe you are right about needing more food. Do you think eating 3 meals like I listed above (leaner protein + lots of veg and a little fat) would work better?
    I guess with lowered fat I could fit in more.

    Look I am not here to argue with anyone, I am just in desperate need of help right now.
    I can tell you as a fact that yes, calories do matter. Eating below your BMR is a recipe for disaster.

    You've admitted to have - at least in the past - counted calories, setting a goal of 1200 and failing to even meet that. You also claim to not be hungry and that you "couldn't possibly eat any more". Y'know, one of my friends thought the same thing. Why? She has anorexia nervous: the brain can very easily mask the signals the body gives to fulfill arbitrary goals.

    I think you either need to:
    1: Eat intuitively, eating Paleo/Primal foods whenever you have the desire to. DON'T restrict of count calories, just eat what your body wants to eat. Y'know, like how Mark's book instructs you to.
    OR
    2: Get back on MyFitnessPal, set a realistic calorie goal - that's 10-20% below your TDEE (NOT your BMR) to lose weight and drop fat - and meet that calorie goal daily. Hell, there's even a Paleo/Primal support group on there that has members - myself included - who are happy to help.

    Don't mistake me as a jackass just picking on you, or something along those lines. I genuinely can and will help - there's no reason you have to starve yourself to lose weight, in fact, you can eat food you love while doing so.

    Any way. That's my take on it. Do as you will.

  3. #13
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Your body is in starvation mode. You are not hungry because your metabolism is low to reclect your calorie intake. You are borderline diabetic because your body does not know how to deal anymore. You are starving yourself of calories, macro and micro nutrients. Do you honestly think taking half your calories from fat like coconut oil is doing anything helpful?

    Unfortunately there is no easy fix. To get yourself healthy again you will probably need to gain even more weight. You are in a vicious cycle right now where your body will hold onto as much fat as it can while gaining fat back whenever it can.

    The first thing you need to do is give up your way of eating. What you are doing now is metabolic death. You need to saturate yourself with nutrients until your body feels comfortable enough to let fat go. Stress, exercise, sleep all need top priority as well.

  4. #14
    Ayla2010's Avatar
    Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,296
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
    I can tell you as a fact that yes, calories do matter. Eating below your BMR is a recipe for disaster.

    You've admitted to have - at least in the past - counted calories, setting a goal of 1200 and failing to even meet that. You also claim to not be hungry and that you "couldn't possibly eat any more". Y'know, one of my friends thought the same thing. Why? She has anorexia nervous: the brain can very easily mask the signals the body gives to fulfill arbitrary goals.

    I think you either need to:
    1: Eat intuitively, eating Paleo/Primal foods whenever you have the desire to. DON'T restrict of count calories, just eat what your body wants to eat. Y'know, like how Mark's book instructs you to.
    OR
    2: Get back on MyFitnessPal, set a realistic calorie goal - that's 10-20% below your TDEE (NOT your BMR) to lose weight and drop fat - and meet that calorie goal daily. Hell, there's even a Paleo/Primal support group on there that has members - myself included - who are happy to help.

    Don't mistake me as a jackass just picking on you, or something along those lines. I genuinely can and will help - there's no reason you have to starve yourself to lose weight, in fact, you can eat food you love while doing so.

    Any way. That's my take on it. Do as you will.
    But this is truly what I am doing.
    I was counting calories when I first went HFLC yes, but it makes me obessed and crazy. If I am hungry I do eat, I just don't often have hunger, which I was attributing to the higher fat, particularly in the BP coffee. Which is why I wondered about eating leaner proteins but 3 times per day if I can. I would gather with lowering my fat id get hungrier anyway.

    Anorexia? I am over 100 lbs over weight and not exactly dropping huge amounts quickly. I do believe the higher fats are making me not as hungry.

    I don't think you are a jackass, truly. Just trying to work out what is best. This whole thing is insane for me.

  5. #15
    Ayla2010's Avatar
    Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Your body is in starvation mode. You are not hungry because your metabolism is low to reclect your calorie intake. You are borderline diabetic because your body does not know how to deal anymore. You are starving yourself of calories, macro and micro nutrients. Do you honestly think taking half your calories from fat like coconut oil is doing anything helpful?

    Unfortunately there is no easy fix. To get yourself healthy again you will probably need to gain even more weight. You are in a vicious cycle right now where your body will hold onto as much fat as it can while gaining fat back whenever it can.

    The first thing you need to do is give up your way of eating. What you are doing now is metabolic death. You need to saturate yourself with nutrients until your body feels comfortable enough to let fat go. Stress, exercise, sleep all need top priority as well.
    OK first Zach.
    Do you truly think my high insulin from just 3 months?
    The Dr seemed to think it was due to my dieting history and was sorta waiting dormant (I think that is how he explained it). Plus my family history. Remember the last 3 months ive lost only 4 kg, and that was actually only in Jan, nothing Oct - Jan while being low carb, 100% primal, and never starving. I was eating more then, as my fats weren't as high.

    And no, I absolutely cannot gain any more weight, I just can't.

    I do walk daily, and sleep pretty, stress has been higher recently due to my oldest starting school, but working through it.

    So eating 3 x a day leaner protein, lots of veg. Do you think that would help?

  6. #16
    Shadowknight137's Avatar
    Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand.
    Posts
    613
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    But this is truly what I am doing.
    I was counting calories when I first went HFLC yes, but it makes me obessed and crazy. If I am hungry I do eat, I just don't often have hunger, which I was attributing to the higher fat, particularly in the BP coffee. Which is why I wondered about eating leaner proteins but 3 times per day if I can. I would gather with lowering my fat id get hungrier anyway.

    Anorexia? I am over 100 lbs over weight and not exactly dropping huge amounts quickly. I do believe the higher fats are making me not as hungry.

    I don't think you are a jackass, truly. Just trying to work out what is best. This whole thing is insane for me.
    Anorexia isn't necessarily defined by weight. If it was, I'd have been classed as anorexic when I was at 47kg, 165cm. Was I? Nope, just nutritionally uneducated and unsure of what was wrong.

    If what you say is true, I highly recommend the second option I gave you. Get back on MFP. Set a realistic kcal goal. Join the Paleo/Primal support group. Meet your goal daily.

    Yeah, it can be confusing, all this stuff. But people can and will help if you let them, and you will get the hang of it - I speak from experience; trust me.

  7. #17
    Ayla2010's Avatar
    Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,296
    Yeah but whos advice do I listen to about the amount of calories and macro breakdown?
    There is so much info out there, it is hard to know which way to go to.

    Counting calories and macros has not gone well for me in the past, as it has lead to many binges. I have not binged in ages, and I am terrified of going back there. Being out of control like that is awful, and I just can't do that.

    Surely counting calories doesn't have to be the answer.

  8. #18
    Ayla2010's Avatar
    Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,296
    Zach and angry kiwi, how does your theory of starvation mode relate to extremely high insulin?

    The Dr says its why weight loss has been harder, but you are saying I am not eating enough.

    Can you see why I am confused? It has to be one answer surely? It can't be everything.

    OK I do know I need to eat more, and I think lowering my fats will do that, and I am fine with doing that. But if I am eating more, will it have anything to do with bringing the insulin level down? Or do I truly need this drug the Dr wants me to take?

    I need to understand this 100%

  9. #19
    Ayla2010's Avatar
    Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,296
    Is this true?
    I just found on a site when I googled insulin and weight loss:

    So insulin turns OFF the fat burning switch and turns ON the fat storage switch. This is bad enough, but it can also cause you to lose lean muscle. Here is how…when insulin brings down the blood sugar levels often times it “over-corrects” by causing low blood sugar. The body normally combats low blood sugar by releasing energy from stored fat, but the high level of insulin will not allow this to happen. The only source of energy in this circumstance is protein. Your body will break down muscle protein when faced with this dilemma. It is a bad situation…gaining fat while at the same time losing lean muscle. Not a good deal at all!

  10. #20
    Ayla2010's Avatar
    Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,296
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well now Zach you could actually be right about something just teasing.

    I found this from Mark:
    I cut this from it:
    To sum up, I don’t think you need to worry about insulin resistance as long as you’re still losing weight – which you appear to be doing – since weight loss exerts a powerful effect on insulin sensitivity. However, once you’re lean, or have stalled without changing anything, moving back toward the 100-150 Primal carb gram range will keep your insulin receptors “honest” without causing weight gain (and it may even jumpstart weight loss again). Lifting heavy things, sprinting every once in awhile (in a manner suitable for your physical limitations), and doing lots of slow moving will also keep you insulin-sensitive, particularly after the physical activity.

    Read more: Does Eating a Low Carb Diet Cause Insulin Resistance? | Mark's Daily Apple

    I just don't know what to think any more.

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •