Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Low carb + lower fat page 18

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    AK 47 I did suggest that I would introduce you to my 18 year old hunting, shooting, motorbike riding daughter - so no excuses there !!!!!!!!
    and shes not as ditsy as her mother !!!!!!
    You got me - that's true.

Tell me, though, is everyone in your family a badass, or is just the women? :P

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    We are a family of gun slinging, bareback horse riding, motorbike riding, jetboat racing, dirty dancing, top shelf drinking, gumboot wearing, hillbillies from the back blocks - but are actually quite a nice bunch of dudes !!!!!!!! LOL
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

..... and YES its just us woman !!!!!!!!

...small steps....

the boyz are quite presentable !!!!!!!

...small steps....

tolleson is offline Junior Member
    Hi Ayla. I can certainly understand your frustration and confusion with your diabetes diagnosis and it relates to your dietary choices. Being a Type II and prescribed Metformin, I have lost weight and have now stopped taking the Met because my blood sugar (BS) is now under control.
    Having read the whole thread, a couple of other members of the Diabetes family have chimed in with support. My suggestion is to get your BS under control and then worry about the weight. Having said that, by getting your BS under control may result in losing weight.
    Do you test you BS regularily? You should be testing when you first get up in the morning (normal range btw 4 - 7), 1 hour after your first bite of food and then 2 hours after your first bite of food (btw 7 -10). What kind of numbers are you seeing?
    My AIc test is in the normal range but if I don't control the carbs, my BS bounces all over the place. Everyone is different so test often to get a handle on what spikes your BS.
    If you need support, talk to other diabetics. My place for support is Diabetes Daily - A better life starts today.. The people there are great, supportive and informative. There is a live, real-time chat. You are not alone in this craziness.
    People here are trying to help but they are not diabetic. Although good intentioned, they don't have the hardware that is broken. Talk to those that are like you and following LC diet to help control (not cure) their diabetes.
    I wish you luck and good health. Cheers.
    Last edited by tolleson; 02-17-2013 at 06:59 AM.

calee is offline Senior Member
    Hi Ayla,
    I wanted to come give you hugs instead of advice because I don't have any.

What I would like to say is that I have a good friend who is an MD but practices Holistically. More Eastern than Western. She dispelled things like the Myths about Cholesterol and Statins. Which led me to stay off them and lose weight to correct the problem whie my MD was recommending drugs. Would it be possible for you to find someone like that in your area that could work with you? I have so much sympathy with your stress levels. You will always get conflicting advice on a forum which surely will keep you in a tail spin. Wishing you success in finding better health!

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Ayla2010

WOW, this is a long thread!!!

Who ever thinks eating HFLC or low calories can cause insulin resistance is definitely a moron. Sorry, but true.

Insulin resistance happens when you've eaten way too many carbs until your muscles and liver are full of glycogen, and then you keep on eating more carbs even though your already full. When your body produces more insulin and tries to push the nutrients into the cells even though they are already full, the cells become insulin resistant.

The only way to solve this problem is to decrease carbs for a while. Decreasing calories actually helps too. In fact, I read about a study that was done where they put type 2 diabetics on a protein sparing modified fast (PSMF) with only 600 calories per day, and within 10 weeks (if I recall) they had lost weight and their symptoms of diabetes had gone away.

Second of all, with 100 extra lbs of fat on your body, there's NO WAY IN HELL your body is going to think it's starving. Hmm, let's think and do the math. You have 3500 calories in one lb of fat. So that means you have 350,000 extra calories!!! That's A LOT!!! Now for example, let's assume you burn 2000 calories per day. (350,000 calories)/(2000 calories/day)= 175 days. If you didn't eat at all for 175 days, you'd survive perfectly fine and would end up a normal healthy weight. Bear with me however; I wouldn't recommend doing anything that extreme.

Anyways, here's what I would actually recommend:
    1. Go with lean proteins like with your idea. What I would recommend is alternating different good lean proteins such as chicken, fish, lean steak, egg whites, lean ham, etc.. Put some salsa on it or what ever for flavor. And include your green vegetables. The idea would be to keep your calories super low until the fat starts melting off like crazy.
    2. Include high carb high calorie days once per week. This will cause high insulin levels, which isn't good. But it will help restore your metabolism and keep it high. And this will help A LOT to get the fat to start burning again.
    3. Exercise more. Do a few HIT workouts per week to help keep the metabolism high. If it hurts your body, use machines.
    4. Exercise even more!!! Do you REALLY want the fat to come off? Hop on a bicycle and take it for a LONG LONG ride, and do that a good 3-4 times per week. If that doesn't help nothing will.

That's similar to what my friend did a few years ago to lose 100 lbs FAST. He did low carbs. And on top of that he ran every day. That's the only way you're going to be able to drop that much fat within a reasonable amount of time. It's A LOT of fat!!! Go to war with it!!! Exercise like you really mean it and you want it to go away.

And in case your wondering how this is going to work, your body will go after the fat for energy. That's how it works. That's what body fat is meant for, so you don't have to have food constantly going down your throat and for times of famine.

That's why I don't understand how people can't grasp such a simple concept. Eat less and the body uses up it's own fat for energy. That's how it works. How else could I go a handful of days without fat? Try it. Try it for even a weekend and see what happens. You lose weight, definitely. That's what happens when you don't eat.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    Ayla2010

WOW, this is a long thread!!!

Who ever thinks eating HFLC or low calories can cause insulin resistance is definitely a moron. Sorry, but true.

Insulin resistance happens when you've eaten way too many carbs until your muscles and liver are full of glycogen, and then you keep on eating more carbs even though your already full. When your body produces more insulin and tries to push the nutrients into the cells even though they are already full, the cells become insulin resistant.

The only way to solve this problem is to decrease carbs for a while. Decreasing calories actually helps too. In fact, I read about a study that was done where they put type 2 diabetics on a protein sparing modified fast (PSMF) with only 600 calories per day, and within 10 weeks (if I recall) they had lost weight and their symptoms of diabetes had gone away.
    Ripped, what you said doesn't even make sense and you're horribly wrong.

Randle cycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

“The antagonism between fat and sugar that Randle described can involve the suppression of sugar oxidation when the concentration of fats in the bloodstream is increased by eating fatty food, or by releasing fats from the tissues by lipolysis, but it can also involve the suppression of fat oxidation by inhibiting the release of fatty acids from the tissues, when a sufficient amount of sugar is eaten.”

The Randle cycle revisited: a ... [Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI
    Impairment of glucose disposal by infusion of t... [Am J Physiol. 1989] - PubMed - NCBI
    Free fatty acids, insulin r... [Proc Assoc Am Physicians. 1999 May-Jun] - PubMed - NCBI

There are several negatives that disrupt glucose metabolism, consuming glucose is not one of them.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Amidst all this, Ayla - good food for thought:

So don’t be discouraged if your health issues don’t immediately vanish, or you reach a weight loss plateau. It took decades of unhealthy eating to cause your problems…don’t expect healthy eating to fix everything in a week or two. (Or even a couple months…I was still experiencing perceptible improvements after nine months.)

There Is Another Level Above “I’m Doing Fine” - GNOLLS.ORG

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Zach I am defending it because it works for some, and not everyone is going to be damaged by it.

<snip>

And don't you dare say I want to destroy myself, I DON"T want to live in this fat disgusting body and I am working my way through it, you don't know me, and don't understand.
    If I didn't care I would be stuffing myself with SAD food still, and eating myself into a stupor. So please just stop.
    Ayla, put Zach on ignore. (Click on his name in one of his posts, and then 'view profile'. In his profile, click 'Add to ignore list'. When prompted, choose 'yes'.)

That's the easy way to make him 'just stop'.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast