Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Low carb + lower fat page 13

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    Not exactly sure what you mean by this. Insulin resistance is insulin resistance... no matter if it is from eating junk or by eating VLC. Both scenarios cause the body to be less sensitive to insulin therefore needing more insulin.

Low carb did cause insulin resistance in me.
    She means (and is correct in saying) that there are actually more than one type of insulin resistance. Any resistance induced by VLC is a normal and transient physiological adaptation at the muscles to free up glucose for the brain. This type goes away with the reintroduction of carbs to the diet (takes like 2 days). The pathological sort of insulin resistance is systemic (hepatic and muscular) and will not disappear with the reintroduction of carbohydrates.

Smileyshaz is offline Junior Member
    I would second what Sixpack says - give yourself a break.

Your body didn't get the way it is overnight, and it's not going to be fixed overnight either. Try changing your diet the way you were thinking about, stay away from the scales and the tapemeasure for a month then check and see it it's working, if not then try something different, perhaps increasing the carbs and protein and/or lowering the fat a bit and seeing if that makes a difference. If you start finding yourself lacking in energy or feeling rotten, then change things a bit sooner.

Some people feel great on a high protein diet, others don't. It's your body and you need to learn to listen to it (and it will learn to tell you what you really need) and not worry yourself about all the other information that is out there - lets face it, for many years we all listened to what we were told to eat by others (CW) and look at the mess it's got us into.

Everyone is different and it's going to take experimentation to find what works for you.

Good luck, I hope you find your solution!
    Respect Mother Nature - for you are small and biodegradable!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Ayla, I wasn't trying to suggest which herbs you should be taking or anything. I was just posting some links to information that proves my point which is that tea, herbs, and spices, in the context of a diet containing lots of other whole foods as well, can be extremely beneficial in restoring insulin resistance.

Of course the evidence is mounting in favor of certain herbs and spices over others, but you can let the studies and your naturopath help you with that one.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks DM. yep I believe herbs etc are helpful to many things, so still doing reading on that.
    Have not made a naturopath app yet, but I intend to

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Thanks DM. yep I believe herbs etc are helpful to many things, so still doing reading on that.
    Have not made a naturopath app yet, but I intend to
    I DID link to info on the ones I PERSONALLY believe to have some of the best evidence in their favor, but there are others showing good results as well, and your naturopath can help you navigate this murky field.

I just wish I was further into my studies to be a Naturopath so I could help myself, but am only 2 units in out of 24 so its going to be a while before I gain the knowledge I need. Working through your links as I can.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    She means (and is correct in saying) that there are actually more than one type of insulin resistance. Any resistance induced by VLC is a normal and transient physiological adaptation at the muscles to free up glucose for the brain. This type goes away with the reintroduction of carbs to the diet (takes like 2 days). The pathological sort of insulin resistance is systemic (hepatic and muscular) and will not disappear with the reintroduction of carbohydrates.
    QFT. Because it needs to be said once again. And again. And again.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    QFT. Because it needs to be said once again. And again. And again.
    This really does make sense. NH when you say re-introduce carbs, what level are you talking? Still not above the 150 g per day?

So if I kept going low carb, would the same damage occur as in someone who had high insulin levels, but was not managing it at all, as in still eating garbage? Or because its not quite the same, would nothing negative happen?

Zach is offline Banned
    There is no such thing as good insulin resistance.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    There is no such thing as good insulin resistance.
    That's exactly what I thought!

Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast