Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat girl on a farm. page 5

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    When you stop eating sugary crap it is amazing ho your tastes change. I can taste the sweetness of spinach now and my family thinks I am nuts ( okay, not just about the taste thing). So just skip the wine in the future and just drink water...or taste Som's wine if he has it and enjoy just a taste. Those little indulgences like a couple of onion rings should be remembered and enjoyed so that you know you are not being deprived.

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    When you stop eating sugary crap it is amazing ho your tastes change. I can taste the sweetness of spinach now and my family thinks I am nuts
    On that note. Went to a fancy steakhouse for v-day. Had the same creamed spinach that I had at the same place 1.5yrs ago (pre-primal) and enjoyed very much (which is why I ordered it again). This time I could not stomach it, they put nutmeg in the thing and all I could taste was nutmeg, no hint of the spinach, just an overpowering disgusting nutmeg flavor. I remember last time tasting a hint of nutmeg and thinking it interesting; but no longer. fortunately the the wifey still liked it -- which is strange as last time (pre-primal) should didn't like it specifically because of the nutmeg. so our preferences got switcheroo'd.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Well, the only side effects I felt last night was an extreme food coma. I got home and didn't want to do anything. This morning, I woke up to extreme bloating, and awful stomach cramps. That ended up with a massive exodus of my bowels. I guess I should be happy for the relief. I'm glad I didn't eat any more non primal than I did. Crazy how a few onion rings could take effect like that.

I have been viciously hungry all morning like I haven't been in three weeks. Jeez! I am waiting on my bacon/egg/cream cheese muffins to get done so I can tame this beast.

I am a (was?) a huge wine fan. Love trying all kinds, and now I am seriously depressed if my tastes have changed so much that I no longer enjoy it. The grapefruit cocktail I had was perfect. Literally just vodka, grapefruit vodka and grapefruit juice. They stuck two pieces of grapefruit on for a garnish. They were the sweetest tasting bits ever. Again, Som said "your taste buds are wrong."

I'm not totally put out. I am tasting things I never, ever did before. It's STRANGE. I've done low carb diets before. Many times. Never did I get this phenomena. Maybe I'll get lucky, and I'll start to like onions!

And yes, I need to marry this one. When our lives settle down a little bit, and we don't live an hour apart, we'll work on it.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps your buds will adapt more. No insult intended to the wine/wine providers...but maybe it was the wine? I've tasted a good amount of VERY nice wines (we're talking aged to perfection, worth a few hundred $ a bottle) and the cheaper stuff that should be "nice" just isn't anymore.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Normally, I would agree with you. But I've had both wines before, and they were fine! It's me. I'm broked.

Ya know, I was scared to death about having a non primal meal. In the past, when I've dieted, and had a cheat day, it was a holy break out of all the crap junk food I craved all week. I gorged until I was sick, and immediately started planning next week's cheat day. Um, no. I seem to have bounced back from it just fine, thank then lordy! Yesterday, I wasn't very hungry. I had a couple eggs and a piece of bacon for breakfast, and didn't eat my left over steak and potato nub until 5pm or so. Some days, I'm just not into food.

I wish I had the time to plan meals better. I find myself eating the same things every day. Which, for now is just fine. I know, however, that someday (probably soon) I'm going to get tired of it, and that is where I run into problems.

What are ya'lls favorite dinners? Lunches? Breakfast will probably all stay the same. But, I love to cook, and I need something to MAKE! The paleo brownies... well... I liked how they tasted, but they were way too powerful in the cocoa dept. for Som's sweet tooth. Just right for me and my broken taste buds, though.

For lunch on Sunday, we ate at Hyvee. I got the salad bar, and put some watermelon on my plate. I took one bite and had to spit it out! What! You seriously can get too sweet. Som tried it and said it was the best watermelon he'd had in a long time.

Makes me nervous for growing my own this year. Hopefully by then I'll be more adjusted to things, and be able to enjoy it. I don't know if anyone had ever had a fresh off the vine melon before, but if not, you'll probably think you've gone to paradise. Or, in my case, sugary sweet hell! Ha! It makes me wonder how a lot of my fresh produce is going to taste to me.

I noticed the taste difference last year on SAD, but this might be a whole new experience. I remember the first cucumber I bit into. Tasted like no cuc I've ever had before! WOWZAH!

I bought most of the supplies I need to get my seeds started for this spring. Woo hoo! I'm so excited! Now, I just need to get the rack all set up, and everything in it's place. I bought 12 dozen starting pots, so I'll see how far that gets me. I may have to buy more, but a lot of things get directly seeded into the ground. This is one of the most nerve wracking times of the year for me. Seed starting is such a meticulous process. Too much water, not enough water, not enough light, too much heat. So many things can go wrong and the little seeds won't sprout. Then, once they sprout, it's a battle to keep them a live long enough to harden off. Then, the hardening off process is a real bitch.

One cannot sprout a plant, and then just put it in the garden when it's big enough. You have to "harden it off." Which is a process of setting the trays outside for a little bit each day so the tiny sproutlings get used to the weather change. I mean, it's basically like going swimming in the early morning. You don't just want to PLUNGE into the pool/lake/whatever. You'll probably get a cramp or something. So, if you're like me, you stick one toe in at a time and let out a squeal with each one. Same thing with hardening off a plant, except... I'm pretty sure they don't squeal. Not that I've heard anyway!

Ruby is due March 8th, and her belly is getting bigger by the day. I am so excited and nervous at the same time. She's an experienced mom, but anything can happen to those little darlings in the birth canal, and after they are born. Goat kids are more delicate than lambs when first born. In fact, they might be the most willing to die babies on the earth. But, I also think they are the cutest!

Sorry for the long entry today.

Peace and Love to you.

H

P.S the wind in Iowa is outrageous. And we got a wee ice storm last night. So, here's to hoping I don't get blown away on my way to work. Driving back from Som's last night was like being on an ice rink in a wind tunnel.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Animals giving birth is so awesome to me, scary, but awesome. My parents freaked when I was defiant about watching my cat have her babies.. I was about 10 yrs old, but she needed me there with her, so I stayed~

I love your enthusiasm for your garden. I've killed many seedlings taking them from my greenhouse to the garden. With age comes wisdom; how lucky you are to have already learned so much.

Safe travels; stay home if it's too bad.

I love reading about your excitement for this year's garden. I've been reading gardening blogs all afternoon. I just hope we get some much needed moisture soon! We are in the middle of our biggest storm so far this year and should have 8 " by morning. One of my problems has always been guessing when the last freeze will be and back tracking to when I should start the plants. That and remembering to bring them in at night while hardening them off

Yeah, Mud Flinger, we are looking that storm right in the face. We're expected 8-12 inches starting tonight. It is going to SUCK driving to work tomorrow at 3 in the morning in a damn blizzard. We've had nothing but snow or rain here. I shouldn't complain. The drought winter is what made gardening last year so miserable. Of course that would be the year I choose to start.

Yesterday was a stressful day. Work was fine. I met my dad's 1/2 chinese friend from Guatemala, and he was really cool.

I got home and went straight outside to batten down the hatches for this storm. Hay bales needed re covered, Chicken coop needed it's northern wind block on, four wheeler needed brought in. I cleaned out and re filled all the stall with new bedding and took scrap hay over to the chicken coop. I also bolstered the laying box with extra insulation hay. I gathered up the eggs, and was ready to head inside when I noticed something different about Ruby.

Essentially, doe goats have two pencil like ligaments running on either side of their tail bone. When she gets close to kidding time, those ligaments will seem to just disappear, leaving a big dish mark in her back end. It's basically the same thing a human's body does. Everything get's loosened up. Well, it's a tell tale sign of imminent kidding, and she had it. Crap. She's 18 days early. 18 days early in goats in a death sentence. They just don't live. Especially in the middle of a blizzard. I was already preparing my speech to mom and dad as to why I needed to bring her inside.

Well anyway, after five hours of getting her stall prepared for kidding, stressing around, feeling for her ligaments every 30 seconds and general freaking out, my friend, and her previous owner came over to look. She checked for the ligs, and couldn't find them either. CRAPPPPP. She commented on how much bigger she is this year than the passed two years. So, either she's got biggies, or there's three in there. We chatted for 1/2 an hour or so. We went to check my other doe, who's ligaments were easily found. Then, we went to check Ruby's one last time. WE FOUND THEM! They came BACK! They were very deep and very squishy. So, she's definitely getting ready, but thank god it's not going to be today or tomorrow. I'm afraid she's still going to go early, but the closer she gets to her due date the more chance they have to live.

*Phew* I'm awfully long winded. Yesterday when I met my Dad's friend we went out to breakfast. I ordered steak and eggs. It came with potatoes. I am PROUD to report I only had three little bites. Typically those would be the first thing gone! I got on the scale again today because I am curious as to how my cycle is running. It said I was another 2 pounds heavier. No, I'm not freaking out. It can't be fat. It's water. I'm just amazed that my body can hold this much excess water. I'm going to try and stay off the scale until this wednesday in hopes that all the water, and a little more will be gone. Hopefully. Maybe.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    We only got 3 of the 7 inches I expected this morning. Makes my morning easier but I hope we get lots more today ( wanders off to do snow dance and sacrifice eggs to the snow gods ). Hope your kids say safe and cozy in Momma goat today

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast