Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Fat girl on a farm. page 16

Halima Dances is offline Junior Member
    There is not much cuter than a Jersey cow (except a Jersey calf). They are a relatively polite size to wrangle, compared to a Holstein lol. Their milk production volume is much more manageable as well. Sounds like you have a little bit of heaven on earth.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the update. Congrats on your cow. I'm still planning for the goats I want, but my turkeys are growing well and I ordered the egg/ meat combo from McMurrays to come in June. Working on building a hugel kultur here with a bunch of our scrap wood and will get the garden in this week if t ever stops raining (no complaining about the rain here though-at least it's not snow)!
    So glad to hear you are still doing so well!

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    So, I made a miscalculation. I've been primal since Feb 1st, so this week marks 13 weeks, not 17. Oops.

Anyway, I wish it would stop raining here too. I need to get stuff planted! We did fence in the garden finally, but I was out there today and found rabbit droppings and a few broccoli plants eaten... .ERGH! Hate rabbits so much! I am going to have to do some reinforcing in some areas. Peas and carrots are in and I saw some pea sprouts. I have never been able to get carrots to come up, so I'm crossing my fingers.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Carrots have never been my thing either. They grew short and stubby and are so hard to get out of the ground! I have decided that since they are cheap even for organic that I can skip them and try something else.

WaylandC is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you need to get the .22 rifle out and start eating wild rabbit Thanks for the update on everything!

Yesterday I brought home my new Jersey cow, Mosey. OMG! Best thing ever.

Today, I brought home four new goats. I honestly couldn't be happier right at this moment. Everything is settling in just fine and doing so well. Mosey gives the most heavenly milk and cream. It seriously tastes like a milk shake. It's hard not drinking three or four or twelve glasses of it a day!

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    Thanks for the update. Congrats on your cow. I'm still planning for the goats I want, but my turkeys are growing well and I ordered the egg/ meat combo from McMurrays to come in June. Working on building a hugel kultur here with a bunch of our scrap wood and will get the garden in this week if t ever stops raining (no complaining about the rain here though-at least it's not snow)!
    So glad to hear you are still doing so well!
    That is a pretty sweet combo from McMurrays.... It was my first purchase from them a couple of years ago. I have purchased chicks from another hatchery but they never performed as well as chicks from McMurray's.... at least in my limited experience, anyway.

Two days ago I planted 20 brussel sprouts and 20 cabbages. Yesterday I discovered 18 sprouts and 12 cabbage gone. Eaten. Destroyed. Cue angry hunk melt down. Damn rabbits have been digging under the fence. Last night I didn't have time to make the proper reinforcements, so my dog and I slept in the garden. I have worked for months on those plants and over night they are gone. Like hell will I let it continue. I will sleep out there until I can get the fence right. I'm really angry I have to go BUY more plants. That was not the plan.

I wanted to give you all an update on my weight. I feel like I barely talk about that! This morning I weighed in at 260.4. Since february 1st I have lost 55 lbs. 45 to go before I reach that big "100 down" mark. Probably another 30 after that to reach ideal body weight... but I don't really know because I've never been at an ideal body weight. I remember being 200 and feeling ok, but still heavy. Maybe 180 will do the trick?

Oh! I have a broody hen! I found her setting a nest of eggs a couple days ago. As best I can figure 18-19 days from now I may have some chicks! This is so exciting for me!

marthat is offline Senior Member
    I so hear you about the plants, Hannah! I have pole bean issues - not sure if they are eaten by rabbits or earwigs or something else, but they are sawn off at the seed leaf stage. Happens over and over again every year - so frustrating. And my favourite veggie!

You have done so amazingly well with your weight loss! Your energy must be over the moon! I so wish I could see your little farm, but I'm a long ways from Iowa! Best wishes...

Martha

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have had great success deterring rabbits by liberally sprinkling garlic powder around what I am trying to protect. Couldn't harm anything to try it with your new plants. Alternatively, plant garlic this fall with a goal in mind of interplanting your veggies with it next spring.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast