Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat girl on a farm. page 13

Cynere is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi Hannah, it's great to read your thread and you are making fantastic progress.
    I personally don't have noodles or rice of any kind because I overeat on them. Spaghetti squash is a fantastic noodle replacement that I enjoy myself. I find eating Primal much easier when I have convenient "safe" snacks as well as an arsenal of recipes.
    Some of my favorite places for food browsing are Chowstalker.com (and dessertstalker.com although some of these concoctions can be nasty). Some other places I also gather recipes from are NomNomPaleo.com, PaleOMG.com, livingintheiceage.pjgh.co.uk, paleofood.com, shecookshecleans.net, thespunkycoconut.com, and cupcakesomg.blogspot.com to name a few.
    What I typically do is follow website RSS on an aggregator like Google Reader (this service is defunct now), Feedly or Pulse; browse for recipes that catch my eye; and then import or save them to a recipe database (I use Pepperplate). This way I can search for recipes by keyword.
    I have no found a good muffin recipe as of yet but I have discovered some pretty awesome tasting things. Here are some of my favorites:

Prawn & Enoki Chowder
    by LIVING IN THE ICE AGE
    YIELD 4 servings

This is a wonderfully earthy, warm soup perfect for cold weather. The mushrooms take on a fantastic meaty texture. Either add the shrimp toward the end or cut them up in pieces because they have the tendency to overcook.

INGREDIENTS
    3 green onion
    15 baby carrots carrots (or other root veggies)
    2 cups chicken stock or fish stock
    1 lb shrimp
    3.5 oz enoki mushrooms
    5 springs parsley
    1 cup heavy cream

INSTRUCTIONS
    Saute green onion, add to stock.
    Cube root veggies and boil in stock.
    Add cut up prawns, mushrooms and any supplementary green things. Add water if the soup reduces too much.
    Add cream, reduce.
    Final consistency is relatively thin.

Creamy Tomato Basil Chicken Pasta
    by TGI PALEO

Fantastic use of spaghetti squash, and such an easy meal to make. It calls for chicken but I think ground beef would be good in this too.

INGREDIENTS
    1 Large Spaghetti Squash, roasted and cooled
    28 oz Tomato Sauce, canned or home-made
    1 c Canned Coconut Milk
    1 t Garlic Powder
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    1 c Fresh Packed Basil, finely chopped
    2 lbs Cooked Chicken, shredded

INSTRUCTIONS
    Heat a pot over medium-high heat. Add the tomato sauce, coconut milk, seasoning, and basil. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Add the chicken. Let simmer for 15 minutes.
    De-seed the spaghetti squash and fork out the strands into a serving bowl. Pour the sauce on top and toss to coat.

Fluidless Coconut Flour Pancakes
    by FROM FRIES TO FIT
    YIELD 2 servings

These need to be smallish in order to flip well. I let them brown well to promote good flipping. Even if they tear, they still taste good. This is the best coconut flour pancake recipe I have found. I use vanilla extract though. I like to eat mine with a little maple syrup or honey. The coconut flour is super filling though.

INGREDIENTS
    4 eggs
    4 tbsp coconut flour
    2 tsp vanilla bean extract or paste
    2 pinches of cinnamon

INSTRUCTIONS
    Grease your pancake pan
    In a bowl, mix all ingredients.
    Use a spoon to dollop onto pan. The mixture may be a bit thick, so you might have to form them a little.
    Cook until edges are brown and sturdy and then flip carefully.

Pumpkin Spice Waffles
    by THE FOODIE AND THE FAMILY
    YIELD 8 waffles

These are also great. Best waffles I have tried. The only secret to cooking these is to oil the waffle iron, even if it's nonstick. Mine come out of my electric, nonstick waffle iron perfectly with a little coconut oil rubbed on it before splatting the batter in. The batter is thick though and you will need to smooth it over the iron. Luckily, the batter doesn't expand crazily like conventional waffle batter, so overfilling isn't as much an issue. These taste incredibly close to "normal" waffles, just denser. Again, good with honey, syrup fruit, or heavy cream poured over the top.

INGREDIENTS
    1/2 cup coconut flour
    1 tablespoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    pinch of ground cloves
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    8 egg yolks
    1 cup pumpkin puree
    1/4 cup coconut milk
    2 tablespoons maple syrup
    8 egg whites

INSTRUCTIONS
    Preheat the waffle iron to the setting you prefer.
    In a small bowl, combine coconut flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking soda. In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks, pumpkin puree, coconut milk, and maple syrup. Beat the egg whites until they have soft peaks.
    Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk until well combined. Stir in 1/4 of the egg whites and then fold in the remainder of the egg whites, until they are thoroughly combined. Pour a 1/2 cup of batter onto the waffle iron and cook as per waffle iron instructions.

Oven Omelet with Sweet Potato Crust
    by THE SPUNKY COCONUT
    YIELD 2 pies (I typically only get one)

This is my go-to frittata. The sweet potato bottom doesn't get crispy or anything but it really is delicious. I make this with turkey ham and whatever I have left laying around. The sundried tomatoes impart a ton of flavor, I would not skip them. The tomatoes plump up nicely during baking and are the best part of this frittata.

INGREDIENTS
    8 whisked eggs
    1.5 tsp Herbamare seasoning
    1 finely chopped sauteed onion
    1 finely chopped sauteed red pepper
    2 cloves minced sauteed garlic
    2 cups lightly steamed, thinly sliced broccoli
    1 cup sliced sausage
    1/2 cup Daiya or other dairy-free cheese
    1/2 cup finely chopped sundried tomatoes

INSTRUCTIONS
    Lightly grease two pie dishes. Thinly slice one sweet potato, and arrange it around the bottom of the pie dishes.
    Pour omelet mixture over top.
    Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes.

Coconut Egg Nog
    by PRIMAL SMOOTHIES
    1 serving (sort of big one though)

This is one of my favorite breakfast smoothies. I love making this when I am in a time crunch. The eggs and coconut milk are satisfying and I am full until lunch. The clove and nutmeg combo taste like the holidays and luxury (to me anyway). This is more smoothie-like than egg nog but it is reminiscent of egg nog anyway. I use Splenda instead of palm sugar but I am sure any manner of sweeteners would be appropriate. You could also go without them if you like the spice-y flavor and egg yolk. I have tried adding the whites to this recipe to save from wasting them but the creaminess of the smoothie is affected.

INGREDIENTS
    1 Cup Coconut Milk
    4 Large Egg Yolks
    1 TBSP Coconut Palm Sugar
    1 tsp Nutmeg, Ground
    1/2 tsp Cloves, Ground
    1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
    1/4 Cup Ice

INSTRUCTIONS
    Blend.

These are just a few exemplary recipes that I have collected and cooked for myself. Another good breakfast idea is sauteed fruit like apples, bananas, whatever is around, egg, and seeds/nuts with heavy cream poured over the top after cooking. It's a quick and tasty recipe as well.
    Another quick breakfast includes mashing a banana with an egg and frying it in a pan like a pancake. It's surprisingly bread-like with a sweet banana flavor. I normally don't add syrup to that one.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Cynere, thanks for commenting!

I'll have to pass on the prawn soup and spaghetti squash pasta. I don't do seafood. I have tried shrimp and all kinds of fish in every way imaginable. Literally, the only way I eat fish is in a sushi roll. And even then, I'll only eat the sushi at my boyfriends restaurant. I went to California and had sushi there... wasn't good to me. I even got sick from one place.

On spaghetti Squash.... well... this is a funny story. Last year, after reading so many amazing things about it, I decided I would plant a BUNCH of it for a fall harvest. So... ya know... I did. I wound up with over 65 football sized spaghetti squash. After I tried the first one, I gave the rest away and what I couldn't give away, I gave to the chickens. Too sweet for me. Doesn't match up. Same thing with sweet potato. They always serve it as a side dish, and it never matches for me. Oddly enough, I will NOSH butternut squash. Heh. I'm a weirdo.

Very curious to try those pancakes though. I've heard some pretty bad coconut pancake stories.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Singing the praises of Primal!

Folks,

I have a confession. After my cookie yesterday, I came home from work.... ravenous. I had one hour to get all my chores done, eat, and get ready for my sister's musical performance. Awesome. So, what happened? I noshed on pizza. Ok, I didn't NOSH it was only two small pieces. But still. It was pizza. I came away feeling bloated, as usual. A little dizzy, and gassy. YAY. I was for SURE I would wake up this morning with water weight packed on, bloated, and puffy.

Well. Nope. I didn't. Actually I woke up feeling normal. I weighed this morning .2 ounces lighter than yesterday. I mean... before primal, on any other "diet" I would have packed on 3-5 lbs of water weight, easy. Even a month ago, there was a doughnut incident. I put on 4 lbs of water weight and held it for 3 days. I think my body is changing. Is this what "fat adapted" means?

I don't like going off primal. It doesn't make me feel good. What does make me feel good is knowing a simple indiscretion like this won't completely ruin my progress. I love Primal.

Cynere is offline Junior Member
    No problem, I'm a seafood lover. I have liked pretty much every fish and invertebrate from water that I have tried so far. That's a shame for spaghetti squash, I guess it is a little sweet though. I also love butternut, and acorn squash. I got a weird looking squash from a market once called a candy roaster squash; It was pretty tasty too, definitely a winter squash.
    The pancakes are just not like "real" pancakes. They are their own thing for sure but I do like eating them occasionally. Now the waffles are convincing. Our tastes sound pretty different though, I like my fruits and starchy veggies.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Hi Hannah,
    I'm with you, the Forum has a lot of trolls. Lately it's getting quite confrontive.

A few weeks ago Forbes magazine had an article on a woman with a farm, 1 husband, 5 children, and 6 goats. The children all helped in milking, feeding and caring for the goats. This activity produced much more milk than they could use. One year she decided to make soap as Christmas gifts for her friends. Her children helped. That was about 6 years ago. Now she has 6 children, 20 goats, and earns well over $1 million / year selling goat products. Her business is still done from her home, with all the children helping. I can't remember all the products but I got a general impression of mostly skin and hair care. Is that not amazing? When I read it I thought of you.

Cryptocode-

I know who you're talking about. I have ordered soaps from in the past... when I used soap. I don't use soap anymore. My skin is so HAPPY now! I have been a long time sufferer of chronic dry skin. Skin so dry it hurts. Changing to primal and eating more good fats helped a bit, but the rea trick was dropping the soap. I did two weeks without and my skin was soft and happy. I used an organic coconut soap bar one time and I came out of the shower a stinging scratchy itchy mess. I didn't stop itching for two days until my body could make new oils that the soap stripped away. Back to no soap again, and all is well.

I shower 3 times per week max. When summer rolls around, I will shower every day due to my dirty sweaty activities. I do not use shampoo. Only silicone free conditioner. My hair is happy too. I use coconut oil as a moisturizer after every shower and use it under my arms along with baking soda for deoderant. The final change I need to make to get chemicals off my body is toothe paste. I am still trying to decide which forumla I should try. I do NOT like Tom's toothe paste.

Today was my upday on ADF. Food and eating was a freaking chore. Nothing was interesting. I didn't want to make any of it. The only reason I ate at all is because tomorrow is down day and I have to work. I ate a few pieces of left over turkey breast, some meat sauce sans noodles for lunch. For dinner I made two eggs and some sausage. Tasted good, but uninteresting.

Besides the boredom, I think this is a good thing. Food is fuel. Fuel can be good, doesn't have to taste like dirt, but it's not what I live for anymore. Food. Is. Fuel.

Primal Primate is offline Senior Member
    Hey Gladmorning,
    Just cruised through your journal. The fact that you have your own farm is what caught my eye. I would love to be able to say that. I have often thought how nice it would be to subsistence farm and not have to rely on store bought produce. I manage to consume mostly wild meat but I would love to have a place to raise my own livestock and grow my own garden. Keep up the great work. I enjoyed the journal and will have to check back from time to time.
    Cheers!
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

"Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Baking soda, coconut oil, and essential oils for taste can be used as a tooth "paste".
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by Gladmorning View Post
    I don't use soap anymore. My skin is so HAPPY now! I have been a long time sufferer of chronic dry skin. Skin so dry it hurts. Changing to primal and eating more good fats helped a bit, but the rea trick was dropping the soap. I did two weeks without and my skin was soft and happy. I used an organic coconut soap bar one time and I came out of the shower a stinging scratchy itchy mess. I didn't stop itching for two days until my body could make new oils that the soap stripped away. Back to no soap again, and all is well.
    Oh my goodness - I can't help myself: you have direct access to an ingredient that makes the best soap! My absolute favorite soap is some goat's milk soap I picked up in Alaska last summer. Silky smooth, I use it on my face and barely need moisturizer afterwards!
    "Just give me all the bacon and eggs you have. Wait, wait. I'm worried what you just heard was, 'Give me a lot of bacon and eggs.' What I said was, 'Give me all the bacon and eggs you have'. Do you understand?" - Ron Swanson

I am really annoyed. I confirmed my suspicion that my scale was wrong. Oh so very wrong. Like 5lbs wrong. Bought a brand new one today and I'm weighing in at 280 vs. 275 on the other scale. GR! Ok, I know, I know. I have still lost the 35 lbs. So, it really shouldn't matter... but when you've reached a goal it is rather irritating to find you actually didn't really reach it.

Whatever. So, readjusting the progress to 280 lbs instead of 275. I guess it's better to know the truth than to keep denying it.

Today is down day, and it is going well. Just now getting hungry, but about to go outside and get some work done in the barn. I need to decide whether or not I am going to sell Pearl and her baby. She isn't making the cut here.

Hoping Annabelle has here calf soon. Missing milk so much. Haven't had any since I dried her off end of December. I opened a jug of plain old regular non organic milk today at work and it STANK! YUCK! It actually smelled sour to me. I had the other girls smell it and they said I was crazy. I could smell the infection in that jug. Never ever will I drink it. EVER. Never intended to, but today was just a reminded that just because it says "milk" doesn't mean it really IS milk.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast