Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Harpua's Journal- from fat and lazy to Super Dad page 7

heatherp is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yeah!! CONGRATUALTIONS!

Awesome work mate, definitely a reason to celebrate hitting your interim goal!

Harpua is offline Member
    Thanks, Heather!

Holiday weekend. My old nemesis comes back and lays a whoopin on me! 3 days of barbecues, beers and shame. Man, it was a great weekend! I ate like a king, drank some fantastic beer and ate some more. Paying for it today by feeling like shit, but it's alright.

I haven't eaten anything yet today. Working on burning off all that I consumed over the last few days. I'm going to have to eat when I get home cause my ass is hungry as hell. It will end up being about a 22 hr fast. Going to make a steak w/ some mashed cauliflower and maybe spinach.
    M/35/5'10"
    SW: 325lbs
    Paleo start: 2/6/2013 @303lbs

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Harpua is offline Member
    271.4 This morning. The holiday weekend left no lingering issues. Feel great this morning, made a protein shake, took a walk and now i'm counting the hours until I can leave work.
    M/35/5'10"

Harpua is offline Member
    269! 56 lbs down

Still plugging away, my eating has been great. still not exercising as much as I would like. I've been experimenting with IF. I didn't eat breakfast all week. My first meal has been around 12-12:30 and my last no later then 7:30. so i've been averaging about a 17 hour fast daily.
    M/35/5'10"

Harpua is offline Member
    i had a busy week. didn't exercise much at all, ate well but more fruit than I normally would take in. I managed to drop another lb though.
    I went to the driving range at lunch and hit a bucket of balls. Really hit my driver well, which is weird. I usually can't hit that thing worth a shit. I think I'm going to start playing a little more golf this year. I pretty much stopped playing a couple of years ago, but a coworker is getting into it and that kind of re-sparked my interest. Plus, it will give me a reason to leave work early a couple of times a month to play w/ vendors.

My original goal was to be 250 by my birthday on the 26th of this month. That's not going to happen. I'm not really bummed about it. It would have been a great milestone to hit, but I'm still losing weight every week so it's all good.
    M/35/5'10"

Harpua is offline Member
    I've notice that over the past month or so I've kind of fallen into my old habit of eating great during the week and then falling of the wagon during the weekend. Not full blown carb binging, but just slipping a little. Until yesterday. I totally lost it yesterday. I drank about 8 beers, ate chips and dip, dorito's, sampled a couple different cakes, pretty much gorged myself on anything that crossed my path. Oh, and my day started at the movies where I ate an entire large tub of popcorn and drank a huge Mr. Pibb by myself. On the plus side, Man of Steel in Imax 3D was pretty good. But I fucking suck! I guess I got caught up in the whole father's day b.s. but that's just an excuse.

Back on it today. Well, I would be but we promised my father in law that we would go to Red Robin for dinner. I want to say that i will get a salad and skip the fries, but that would be a lie. I'll just skip carbs all day today and try to lessen the damage. I think I will weigh myself tomorrow morning. Maybe the shock of the number on the scale will set me right again.
    M/35/5'10"

heatherp is offline Senior Member
    Hey dude,

Sorry to hear you've had a rough week, BUT don't let it get to you- we all fall off the wagon sometimes.
    When you have the fail-eo days just be good the next few- I find having a bad day totally reminds me why I avoid those foods normally! As I've gone further down this road having fries etc no longer feels like a 'treat' -maybe that'll happen to you too. Social occasions can be hard when you dont want to be the weirdo caveman not eating like everyone else. But you're being paleo for you and your family right? That's way more important.

You might not hit the weight target on your birthday (I know that kinda frustration) but maybe remind yourself how far you've come. Can you find weight(s) or bag(s) that represent all the weight you've lost, and carry it around for a while? Sometimes its easy to see what we haven't attained rather than what we have.

Hang in there mate.

Harpua is offline Member
    Thanks Heather.
    I'm definitely not hitting my birthday weight goal, but I'm fine with that. I should be around 60 lbs down, which is pretty freaking good. I think most of my fail-eo(i like that) days revolve around booze. I don't drink during the week and I have no eating issues during the week. i turned down cake and cupcakes 3 times on Friday alone. It's just when I drink I get pretty lax on what I'm eating as well. It doesn't help that when I'm drinking I'm also around bad food. Yesterday though, I brought my daughter to a BBQ and I wasn't drinking b/c I had to drive. I was around all kinds of pasta salads and chips and every simple carb you can think of. No issue at all. I ate 2 burgers w/out rolls some sausage and some fruit. Even when the pies came out(i am a pie junkie) i was fine w/ avoiding them. Get a couple of beers in me though, and it sets off some kind of trigger and I'll binge on everything in sight. It's crazy cause I know it and still I can't seem to stop it. The good news is that my drinking is going way down. I used to be every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Now it's rare if I drink more than one of those days. This weekend was Friday only, after we put the baby to bed I had a few w/ a cigar in the backyard.
    M/35/5'10"

Harpua is offline Member
    Today is my birthday. 36 years old. It's crazy how old I've gotten so quickly.

Holding steady at 268 for the last couple of weeks.

I don't know why I got it in my head that I needed to be a certain weight by my birthday. That's not what this is about. The title of this journal is "From fat and lazy to Super Dad". It's not Harpua's goal to be 250 by summer.

As I look back at that title and re-read my first post, 4 months in this has been a huge success! Am I super dad yet? hell no! But, I'm a pretty freaking good dad. I've lost 57 lbs. Not too bad. More importantly, I spend as much free time as I can with my daughter. I don't just plop her down in front of the tv while I sit my fat ass on the couch. We crawl around the floor and play games. We go for walks around the neighborhood during the week. On the weekends we go hiking in the Jersey Pine barrens or, this past weekend, Wissahickon in Philly. We're preparing for our first good sized climb at the Delaware Water Gap next month. We've gone swimming a couple of times already and there's a couple beach and lake visits in our near future. This is the first birthday I've had in years where I'm actually happy and have something to celebrate! It's pretty fucking Awesome!

I'm going to enjoy a big piece of cake tonight.

Starting tomorrow, the National Homebrewing Conference is in Philly. 3 days of everything beer related in the country going down in my back yard. It's something I was really looking forward to, but now I don't even feel like going. I have commitments to keep so I will be showing my face there all 3 days at some point. It's funny how someone can change in so short a time. If this was here last year, I would have been there all 3 days from 10 am to whatever time I stumbled off the train home. It's still going to be fun seeing a lot of guys I don't see very often and trying all kinds of different beers, but I'm just not that into it anymore. We'll see how it goes but i might skip out on saturday.

After this weekend, we're right back at it. I've been varying my food a lot to keep from getting bored. I'm cooking w/ veggies I never thought I would eat. I've been researching Strong lifts 5x5 and I might start that soon.
    M/35/5'10"

Harpua is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I almost forgot, I wanted to include some pics of our recent hiking trips.The 1st is from Wharton State forest by Batsto lake a couple of weeks ago. the 2nd is Wissahickon park in Philly this past weekend.

wharton state forest.jpgwissahikon 6-22.jpg
    M/35/5'10"

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast