Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Harpua's Journal- from fat and lazy to Super Dad page 3

Harpua is offline Member
    Shop Now
    This week is my first big test of my willpower. I flew into Dallas this morning. Usually, this trip revolves around eating with some work thrown in. I went out to lunch at this place that has incredible biscuits and gravy. I semi-caved and ate half a biscuit instead of my normal 2 which is a win in my book. I also got an omellette w/ chicken and chorizo instead of chicken fried steak. For my sides, I skipped the homefries and texas toast and got sliced tomatoes and strawberries and bananas. that's my plan for this week. Hit my normal places but make changes to what I order.
    Tomorrow will probably be this place with amazing fried catfish. Luckily, they also do a really good cajun shrimp so I'll have that instead. The shrimp doesn't come with fries and hushpuppies so that'll make it easier to skip them. I should be fine with the BBQ places because I mostly just eat meat anyway and Texas BBQ doesn't have a lot of sauce. Skipping the baked beans and corn won't be a big deal. Hopefully, I'll make some use of the hotel's fitness room. We'll see how i do.

I'm here until Thursday night, so I'll weigh myself at home Friday morning.

It doesn't get any easier after this week. I'll spend the weekend at home and then I fly out to San Diego Monday morning for a week. That city is going to be a whole different kind of test. There are some beers in Cali that I can't get in Jersey and I'm going to try and drink every one of them. That means my eating is going to have to be as close to 100% as I can get.
    Last edited by Harpua; 03-11-2013 at 11:27 AM.
    M/35/5'10"
    SW: 325lbs
    Paleo start: 2/6/2013 @303lbs

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Harpua is offline Member
    The trip didn't go so well. I ate a lot of crap, drank a lot of beer and sat on my ass most of the week.

The result:
    4 lbs heavier this morning than I was last Friday.

I started back up this morning w/ a little steak and a protein shake. I'll have a salad w/ some protein at lunch and some chicken and veggies for dinner.

I'll put some real effort in this weekend back at home, and then I'll try my best next week in San Diego. I've never been there so I plan on walking around and checking out the area. Also, I don't think I'll see as much chicken fried steak and biscuits and gravy as I did in Dallas. I might eat 50 fish tacos though..
    M/35/5'10"

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Losing weight is a marathon, not a sprint. What's great about primal is that you've had a minor set back but can jump right back in. Most of the weight increase is likely water weight. Keep going!

Harpua is offline Member
    yup, that is the exactly how I'm treating this. Historically, a week like this would piss me off and I would be bummed all weekend. I won't say that I'm not a little disappointed with myself, but it's mostly because of hitting the snooze instead of exercising. I actually ate a lot better then I usually would. Although far from great, I was conscious of what I was eating and controlled my portions of crap and tried to fill up more on veggies when possible.
    M/35/5'10"

Harpua is offline Member
    So, I don't know if I had one of those calorie resets or something, but I was 289.4 this morning! It was nice to see those 4 lbs I gained in Texas disappear.

San Diego this week. Great beer and Mexican food everywhere. The good news is that I'm setting up a new warehouse, so a lot of physical work. It feels good to get away from my desk for a while.
    M/35/5'10"

Harpua is offline Member
    Alright, so I was away for 2 weeks and my net result is 2 lbs lost! In my world, that is incredible! I have never been able to maintain my weight when I travel, let alone drop some.

I ate OK in San Diego. I strayed from the paleo path but I didn't go far. A couple of tortillas, some chips and salsa, I did eat some carne asada fries one day that were amazingly terrible. I think one of the things that added to my success was IF. Monday I only ate lunch,Tuesday I skipped breakfast and ate a very small dinner. Wednesday I only ate dinner,(but the dinner was a cheeseburger, sweet potato fries and about 7 beers). Thursday I ate close to Paleo, but I had some brown rice with lunch.
    I did a lot of physical work at the new warehouse which I'm sure also helped.

I took the red-eye back Thursday night and got right back on schedule when I got home. Now, I just need this weather to break so i can start getting outside a little more. I mean, it's freaking snowing today! Come on! I've had enough of winter and 4 days in San Diego haven't made it any easier.
    M/35/5'10"

Harpua is offline Member
    Something else that was big for me on my trip.
    I've never been to the west coast so I wanted to see a sunset before I left. I had a little time on Thurs so I drove up to mission beach. My plan was to snap a couple of pictures and maybe dip my feet in the water . When i got there I realized I wasn't the only one with this plan. There were plenty of people milling around. Normally, this would scare me off and at first it did, but I talked myself into parking and just walking up to the boardwalk(more of a concrete path, but we call them boardwalks in Jersey) to snap a pic. I really wanted to go dip my feet in the water but being alone and in jeans I really started to psyche myself out. I kept feeling like i would look like some sort of weirdo A fat weirdo actually. Are there any fat people in southern California? Back to the story, i took my sunset pic and turned to leave feeling too self conscious to make my way to the water. It seems so stupid now, was everybody going to point and laugh at me? No. Nobody was going to give a shit what I was doing. But in my head, I was the focus of everyone's attention. About half way to the car I stopped, really pissed at myself for leaving. So, I turned around and walked back to the boardwalk. I took off my shoes and socks, rolled up my pants and walked into the water. Fucking everybody there started laughing and pointing at the fat guy in jeans!! Nah, nothing happened except my pants got a little wet. In the great scheme of things, a guy putting his feet in the Pacific Ocean is nothing. But in my world, that's huge.

Just felt like sharing that story.
    M/35/5'10"

Harpua is offline Member
    Yesterday's food

Breakfast:
    omelette- 3 eggs, a little left over steak, handful of spinach, chunk of roasted red bell pepper, provolone cheese

Lunch:
    Roast pork, mashed cauliflower, mixed veggies

Snack:
    2 hard boiled eggs

Dinner:
    Salmon w/ Broccoli and carrots

Also, 3 cups of black coffee throughout the day.
    M/35/5'10"

Harpua is offline Member
    286.0 this morning

I'm keeping a pace of about 2lbs per week. I'm still not exercising consistently, but I'm getting better. I started printing to the copier that's farthest from my desk so i can get a few extra steps in per day. I get up and walk around the shop a few times a day as well. Mostly I just b.s. w/ the guys but at least I'm standing instead of being hunched over my desk.

My diet this week was spot on! Meat, eggs and veggies, coconut/almond milk, a little dairy and cheese. I made a great meatloaf Wednesday and used some of the leftovers in an omelette Thursday morning. Last night was a beef roast in the crock pot w/ creamed spinach and cauli/broc/carrot mix. Lunch was a BAS w/ some chicken Tues and Wed and nothing Thurs.

Also, I had a DR's appointment yesterday over a bit of a cancer scare, but I came out good. So, yea me!

Easter Sunday coming up. My Mother in law is making a very paleo friendly meal. She is close to making the jump.
    M/35/5'10"

Harpua is offline Member
    Bad weekend! Saturday I was talked into going to Red Robin for lunch. I figured I would just order some type of cheeseburger salad but, they don't make a cheeseburger salad. They only make lame ass chicken salads! When I go to Red Robin I want a freaking burger! I don't care how it's packaged I just want that juicy red meat! So I ordered a mushroom swiss burger and ate it bread and all plus french fries. I had a birthday party to go to Sat. night and for some reason decided it was a good idea to eat 2 slices of pizza, and wash them down w/ about 5 beers.
    Easter was OK. Stuck mostly to meat and veggies, but i did allow myself a small helping of pineapple stuffing and a small slice of pound cake. No booze at all Sunday.

Missed my goal of 40lbs by April 1 by a pound. Well, as of Friday, I was too afraid to weigh myself this morning and see the results of the damage I did.

Back on the horse today. I had a protein shake and a cup of coffee for breakfast. Lunch will be ham and asparagus. I have 2 hard boiled eggs for a snack, and dinner will be a chicken stir fry.
    M/35/5'10"

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast