Thread: Stupid Doctors page

Primal Pamme is offline Member

Stupid Doctors

I have had some health issues of late. Last November I was in the hospital and I still don't know why. It was a one time extremely odd occurrence and my GP has not really tried to figure it out. It scares the crap out of Hubby and I, because we don't know if it was a one time occurrence or if it could happen again. While in the hospital, it was discovered I was hypothyroid.

Right now, I feel fantastic. I am on the lowest dose of Levothyroxine you can get and it is working. I am also taking supplements and doing other things that are recommended as well as reading everything I can about it. I am normally the healthy one, so this dealing with me being sick and then having a condition has been difficult for the whole family.

In my quest for better medical care, I have been searching for a different doctor. I live in a small town with very few good docs, none of whom are taking new patients. I am willing to drive to the big city, as hubby does, to get good medical care. I thought I found a good one based on recommendations online, however, I wasted $75 yesterday finding out he couldn't help. It was discouraging, if entertaining, to say the least. He went on and on about dummy medicine and while I agreed with him, it was apparent he was off his rocker. He is also not a GP, which his site was not clear about and I wasn't sick enough for him to take as a patient. He did answer my questions, which my GP did not do, and told me a few things I had not already read about. It is back to the search for me. *sigh*

Anyone else had problems finding a good doctor who isn't just a drug pusher?

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Most allopathic style doctors push drugs because their focus is on treating symptoms, not the cause. If you want a doc that will work with you on the root cause (which generally involves lifestyle or dietary changes rather than drugs) then my suggestion would be a Naturopathic Doctor, Holistic Doctor or Integrative Medicine Doc. My primary care physician is a Naturopathic Doc and I have never been healthier. Part of it is the trend in the US for people to say, "I don't want to have to work for this, just give me a pill." I'm the opposite- I'd rather work for it and achieve genuine health.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    Most allopathic style doctors push drugs because their focus is on treating symptoms, not the cause. If you want a doc that will work with you on the root cause (which generally involves lifestyle or dietary changes rather than drugs) then my suggestion would be a Naturopathic Doctor, Holistic Doctor or Integrative Medicine Doc. My primary care physician is a Naturopathic Doc and I have never been healthier. Part of it is the trend in the US for people to say, "I don't want to have to work for this, just give me a pill." I'm the opposite- I'd rather work for it and achieve genuine health.
    Yes agree with this.

They care about everything, and get to the bottom of what is going on. And doh! I better take my own advice, and make an appointment with one. Thanks for starting this thread. It didn't occur to me, where it normally does for other things.

ulnauy is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Pamme View Post
    I have had some health issues of late. Last November I was in the hospital and I still don't know why. It was a one time extremely odd occurrence and my GP has not really tried to figure it out. It scares the crap out of Hubby and I, because we don't know if it was a one time occurrence or if it could happen again. While in the hospital, it was discovered I was hypothyroid.

Right now, I feel fantastic. I am on the lowest dose of Levothyroxine you can get and it is working. I am also taking supplements and doing other things that are recommended as well as reading everything I can about it. I am normally the healthy one, so this dealing with me being sick and then having a condition has been difficult for the whole family.

In my quest for better medical care, I have been searching for a different doctor. I live in a small town with very few good docs, none of whom are taking new patients. I am willing to drive to the big city, as hubby does, to get good medical care. I thought I found a good one based on recommendations online, however, I wasted $75 yesterday finding out he couldn't help. It was discouraging, if entertaining, to say the least. He went on and on about dummy medicine and while I agreed with him, it was apparent he was off his rocker. He is also not a GP, which his site was not clear about and I wasn't sick enough for him to take as a patient. He did answer my questions, which my GP did not do, and told me a few things I had not already read about. It is back to the search for me. *sigh*

Anyone else had problems finding a good doctor who isn't just a drug pusher?
    It's a good thing your hypothyroidism was discovered. Levothyroxine is almost a perfect drug - you can take it for the rest of your life and it will have no other effects besides fully mimicking the natural function of your thyroid. If only every prescription drug was like levothyroxine.

Primaldocs.com is a commonly suggested resource for finding primal doctors but it looks like there's only one listed in Indiana. I'd say just keep looking. Your GP is definitely not an area in which you should settle.