Thread: Catrin's Whole 30 page

Catrin is offline Senior Member

Catrin's Whole 30

Primal Fuel
    Ok, it is official, I am going to start my Whole Thirty when I wake up Saturday, Feb 16 through March 18. I want to finish reading "It Starts with Food" before beginning, and I've a coffee date tomorrow morning. I WILL want cream, one last time I've been full primal since late July and have only "cheated" once since starting - haven't even been tempted to cheat since I've been feeling so good.

I suspect that there is something about my diet that needs tweaked however, it may not be as clean as I think it is. I do put cream in my coffee and allow cheese occasionally - that may be causing me more problems than I realize if I've sensitivities that I am unaware of. I also want to pull back on the fatty meats a bit and work more with lean meats with good oils - it is possible that I've been consuming more fat-related calories than I've been aware of.

Nothing wrong with good fats, but over-consumption of anything is never good and while I am very active, I am a small 53-year old woman with no thyroid or reproductive system. VLC may not be my friend, so I also want to try adding a bit more vegetable related carbs this month. It is also possible that I've not been fueling quite right for my heavy lifting and high intensity workouts and I will experiment with the suggestions in the book to see if that might work better for me.

I understand that part of the Whole 30 is to not weigh (me nor my food), or track calories/macros. This will be HARD as I can get downright OCD about this - so I think this Whole 30 will be beneficial to me in many ways. Journaling this experience will be very helpful I think, and I look forward to helpful comments - this is a great forum!

In the end, I want to learn more about how MY body works, and I think that I can only learn over the next 30 days!
    Last edited by Catrin; 02-14-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Day 1

Starting Weight: 125.5 (and now putting the scales up for a month)

The first morning of my Whole 30 has been a little surprising! Considering that part of the reason I am doing this is to ferret out those parts of my diet that perhaps haven't been as clean as I thought, I've already learned a couple of things.

1. Black Forest Dry Rubbed bacon from Whole Foods has BARLEY and YEAST in it!!! Apparently also cured with sugar, I've eaten a lot of this over the last couple of months and I didn't investigate too much after verifying that it doesn't have nitrates. I didn't think to re-check the ingredients this morning until I had one slice already half cooked for breakfast - and I ate it but the rest went into my freezer until this Whole 30 is over. 1 pound of frozen FRESH side pork was removed from the freezer

2. Organic Beef Jerky from Trader Joe's: I rarely eat this, but I woke up this morning 30 minutes before having to walk out of the door to go do a test climb of 25 floors for a Fight for Air Climb I have in early March. I had thought that it would be good to have this in my pantry to grab a couple of bites for when I don't have time to have a small breakfast before working out. Apparently I was too rushed to read the ingredients: Evaporated Cane Juice and Soy Sauce. Of course it is all "Organic" so that apparently makes it ok - NOT, at least not for me.

So the rest of the day will be on target, but "officially" my Whole 30 will now start tomorrow.

Breakfast (finally, more like brunch): 4 pastured eggs - from a friends back yard - baby spinach, 1 slice Black Forest bacon, 1/2 tangerine, water and coffee

Still thinking about my meals for the rest of the day, I want to bump up my carbs a bit as I've been VLC for too long and it really just doesn't seem to be working for me. Starchier veggies with a bit of fruit, and adding some lean protein back into the mix with less fattier cuts. It is going to be challenging to NOT track every calorie and macro/micro-nutrient through this but I can do this. I've been primal long enough that I know about how much food I need to sustain my activity level.

Schedule was just off too much to day to eat anything like normally. I had a boiled egg + 1/2 tangerine for a snack when my belly started complaining. For dinner I had chili over sweet potato hash, the rest of the tangerine, and a salad.
    Last edited by Catrin; 02-16-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Trying to mix breakfast up...but I LOVE eggs, spinach, and bacon for brekkie! Nothing else quite says HELLO NEW DAY than this menu. So why should I change it? Part of me wonders if I need to eat a bit less before my intense morning workouts and eat more afterwards. So...perhaps I will eat the same foods for brekkie and more after my workouts. We will see.

It is so hard for me not to over-think all of this. I am accustomed to tracking every little thing - and I have done that for well over 3 years now. Step away from Cronometer and Lose It! for a time!

Probably no dinner today - I met with some friends at a Brazillian Steakhouse (Fogo de Chaos) today for lunch. Talk about a carnivoires dream! I ate WAY too much meat for a woman of my size, and way too many carmelized plantains. I also enjoyed every last bite of it, and this is probably the first time I've over-eaten at this level in well over a year. Well, so what? It was one day, and it might even help my body. Probably no dinner though Please note that I DID have a couple of veggies outside of the vast array of meat sampling and plantains. A couple ...

Last night I made Citrus Carnitas (Well Fed), and oven-roasted a sirloin steak as part of my week's pre-cooking. I think they are safe tonight - but will be great over the next few days. Typically I also pre-cook - or at least partial steam-saute veggies for the work week but not this week. Bag Ass Salad time for lunch tomorrow, me-thinks.
    Last edited by Catrin; 02-18-2013 at 01:31 PM.

I've started experimenting with taking real food to the gym to eat right after a hard intense workout. Instead of a vegan protein shake, this week I started taking either a couple of boiled egg whites, or a whole boiled egg, and half a banana. That seems to make me feel better than the shake - though the shake had more protein (hemp).

Today there was an all-day meeting with a provided lunch that just looked terrible. I came prepared, and and had made a chicken salad with roasted chicken thigh, some pecans, home-made mayo (hazelnut oil), baby spinach and strawberries. I enjoyed this very much! I've told people at work that I have a lot of food sensitivities - so they don't think anything of it. Part of me had been tempted just to eat what was provided - but my co-workers would have been shocked and frankly I wouldn't have enjoyed it!

My 4th day of coffee without cream. I am starting to find that different coffee blends actually tastes different from each other when it isn't loaded with cream! Surprise, surprise...and I am also finding that I am satisfied by less coffee than when I was adding a ton of cream to it - apparently I am a cream addict.

Day 5

I've started experimenting with taking real food to the gym to eat right after a hard intense workout. Instead of a vegan protein shake, this week I started taking either a couple of boiled egg whites, or a whole boiled egg, and half a banana. That seems to make me feel better than the shake - though the shake had more protein (hemp).

Today there was an all-day meeting with a provided lunch that just looked terrible. I came prepared, and and had made a chicken salad with roasted chicken thigh, some pecans, home-made mayo (hazelnut oil), baby spinach and strawberries. I enjoyed this very much! I've told people at work that I have a lot of food sensitivities - so they don't think anything of it. Part of me had been tempted just to eat what was provided - but my co-workers would have been shocked and frankly I wouldn't have enjoyed it!

My 5th day of coffee without cream. I am starting to find that different coffee blends actually tastes different from each other when it isn't loaded with cream! Surprise, surprise...and I am also finding that I am satisfied by less coffee than when I was adding a ton of cream to it - apparently I am a cream addict.

I think dinner tonight will feature Citrus Carnitas, and a parsley/fennel salad.

I am going to experiment this afternoon with the Shepherd's Pie recipe from Well Fed - I've yet to find anything in that book that I don't love!

Last night I wound up eating two spoons of Koliva at church. I am a member of the Orthodox Church, and this is a traditional dish we make as a memorial for those loved ones who have died. This is made with whole wheat berries and also typically includes honey or some other natural sugar.

It's been 7 months since I've tasted grains in any form outside of the occasional beer and I had hoped to get away with two tablespoons of it. No such luck, even with that small amount I had digestive system....issues this morning that I've not had for 7 months. This won't happen again, and my church friends will just have to understand. Either my gut hasn't healed in 7 months or I've other issues with wheat that has been missed.

I've not been so good at keeping up with this journal, my schedule is wild and I've been ill. No matter, it is still helping me to keep track. One thing I've noticed is I lost two pounds almost immediately after dropping cream from my coffee and learning to drink it black. Who knew that 2 tablespoons of cream a day would have that kind of effect? If I DO choose to return to having cream in my coffee after this is over it certainly won't be on a daily basis!

I've also fallen in love with the Well Fed cookbook, and I already was a fan of Practical Paleo. My diet was pretty darn clean prior to doing this, but I've come to see that I had more sources of sugar than I recognized. Good information, that...

Still having issues sleeping through the night though, wish I could fix that but nothing seems to help. I simply must wake up between 1-2 am, I get back to sleep easily enough but it is an interruption that isn't kind to someone who rises at 4am!

Ok, so journaling doesn't apparently work for me. I had to try it however. I've called an end to the Whole 30 two days early since I met with friends yesterday and had the most awesome mocha ever - no added sugar but am not entirely sure what was in the cocoa they used.

I've learned that I like good black coffee, and once I became accustomed to the lack of HWC in my coffee I learned that I can actually tell the difference between different coffees My body seems to prefer no dairy, as soon as I stopped using cream and the occasional cheese I dropped a couple of pounds - probably bloat. In the end my diet didn't change much for the Whole 30, it was pretty darn clean to begin with. Still working on getting better sleep, but I've got a better handle on how dairy affects my body. I've decided to use it as an occasional treat and nothing else.