Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Omega 6/3 ratio - explain?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    27

    Omega 6/3 ratio - explain?

    Hi all,

    I remember in Mark's book he talked about Omega 6 vs. omega 3 and it seems paleo tracker keeps track of that saying that ideally our omega 6/3 ratio should be around 2.3:1. Seems mine hovers at 4:1, but yesterday it was 8:1. Can anyone help me determine how to lower that ratio? What kinds of foods are high in Omega 6? I could look it up in Mark's book, but thought for now it would be easier to ask here while it's on my mind and the computer is in front of me! Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    10,004
    Primal foods that are high in omega-6 include nuts and seeds, chicken, and pork (all pork, but especially CAFO pork). Limit these.

    Balance it with fatty fish and lots of grass-fed beef(I think I read this can be as low as 1:1 n-6:n-3 ratio).

    Don't worry about your day-to-day ratio. It's a long-term issue. Don't try to "fix" too much omega-6 intake by taking a ton of fish oil. This used to be suggested, but has fallen out of favor. Best to keep total PUFA intake low.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Primal foods that are high in omega-6 include nuts and seeds, chicken, and pork (all pork, but especially CAFO pork). Limit these.

    Balance it with fatty fish and lots of grass-fed beef(I think I read this can be as low as 1:1 n-6:n-3 ratio).

    Don't worry about your day-to-day ratio. It's a long-term issue. Don't try to "fix" too much omega-6 intake by taking a ton of fish oil. This used to be suggested, but has fallen out of favor. Best to keep total PUFA intake low.
    Rich:
    Can you say more about this? I've been wondering if DH's high LDL particle number might be the result of too many PUFA's via fish oil. It is a good one -- from Life Extension -- but I was thinking he might cut the dosage in half.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by julesy View Post
    Hi all,

    I remember in Mark's book he talked about Omega 6 vs. omega 3 and it seems paleo tracker keeps track of that saying that ideally our omega 6/3 ratio should be around 2.3:1. Seems mine hovers at 4:1, but yesterday it was 8:1. Can anyone help me determine how to lower that ratio? What kinds of foods are high in Omega 6? I could look it up in Mark's book, but thought for now it would be easier to ask here while it's on my mind and the computer is in front of me! Thanks!
    Great article here on this. I'm also a big fan of Udo's Oil, if you have a health food store nearby.
    Last edited by OldGuy; 02-14-2013 at 08:19 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Birkenstocks & hairy arm pits.
    Posts
    9,063
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
    Great article here on this. I'm also a big fan of Udo's Oil, if you have a health food store nearby.
    I read the article you linked, and this totally freaked me out:

    Soybean oil alone is now so ubiquitous in fast foods and processed foods that an astounding 20 percent of the calories in the American diet are estimated to come from this single source.
    The really are out to get us.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

    B*tch-lite

    Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Pretty much all animal foods are higher in o6 then o3. Most fish being the exception. Avocados, olive oil, eggs also have higher o6.

    I wouldnt worry so much about the ratio, just try to limit o6 from packaged foods, oils and grain fed and farmed animal products. Eat wild/pastured/free range, whenever possible.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    10,004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Pretty much all animal foods are higher in o6 then o3. Most fish being the exception. Avocados, olive oil, eggs also have higher o6.

    I wouldnt worry so much about the ratio, just try to limit o6 from packaged foods, oils and grain fed and farmed animal products. Eat wild/pastured/free range, whenever possible.
    Had to do a double take, but I agree with this.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Had to do a double take, but I agree with this.
    Haha, im sure you would be surprised at how much effort i put into my diet and health.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    10,004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Haha, im sure you would be surprised at how much effort i put into my diet and health.
    Not really. I'm surprised at how much effort you put into counter-primal evangelism.

    Quote Originally Posted by janie
    Rich:
    Can you say more about this? I've been wondering if DH's high LDL particle number might be the result of too many PUFA's via fish oil. It is a good one -- from Life Extension -- but I was thinking he might cut the dosage in half.
    I'm not really qualified to get into this much more. But the Chrises Kresser & Masterjohn are:
    Episode 11 – Chris Masterjohn on cholesterol & heart disease (Part 1) (part 1 of 3, just follow the links)

    As is Peter Attia, if you want to read a 9-part (so far) magnum opus that will make you understand cholesterol so well your doctor will call you for advice (ha, as if they listened!)
    The straight dope on cholesterol

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Not really. I'm surprised at how much effort you put into counter-primal evangelism.



    I'm not really qualified to get into this much more. But the Chrises Kresser & Masterjohn are:
    Episode 11 – Chris Masterjohn on cholesterol & heart disease (Part 1) (part 1 of 3, just follow the links)

    As is Peter Attia, if you want to read a 9-part (so far) magnum opus that will make you understand cholesterol so well your doctor will call you for advice (ha, as if they listened!)
    The straight dope on cholesterol
    THANKS so much! I'm off to do some reading. As you might imagine, the doc dismissed any conversation about PUFAs from fish oils contributing to the lab results. As a matter of fact, we requested the NMR; doc didn't even know what it was.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •