Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Omega 6/3 ratio - explain? page 2

  1. #11
    janie's Avatar
    janie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    641
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Not really. I'm surprised at how much effort you put into counter-primal evangelism.



    I'm not really qualified to get into this much more. But the Chrises Kresser & Masterjohn are:
    Episode 11 – Chris Masterjohn on cholesterol & heart disease (Part 1) (part 1 of 3, just follow the links)

    As is Peter Attia, if you want to read a 9-part (so far) magnum opus that will make you understand cholesterol so well your doctor will call you for advice (ha, as if they listened!)
    The straight dope on cholesterol
    THANKS so much! I'm off to do some reading. As you might imagine, the doc dismissed any conversation about PUFAs from fish oils contributing to the lab results. As a matter of fact, we requested the NMR; doc didn't even know what it was.

  2. #12
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Not really. I'm surprised at how much effort you put into counter-primal evangelism.
    The only thing about primal i dispute that that it needs to be inherently low carb. That and the ridiculous fanatical fear of any non primal approved foods. Funny you say im being evangelical but from where i sit, some of you act like this is less of a diet and more of a religion.

  3. #13
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,941
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Maybe my opinion is skewed, but I think the omega 3:6 ratio is complete BS and meaningless. The issue in my opinion is that the SAD just contains far too much rancid omega 6 from industrial seed oils, grains and legumes. There is some disconnect where people think omega 3 and omega 6 are essential and you'll die without them. That's absolutely stupid because of how that came about. It was based on some study where animals were fed fully hydrogenated oils so all the unsaturates were removed and the animals died. No kidding - there are no fully hydrogenated oils in nature and you're not eating real food. Maybe that's the issue?

    Everything in nature contains fat. Every fat in nature contains some level of saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat. Eat real food, not processed fats.

    It's that simple. Don't worry about balancing some omega 3:6 ratio, just eat real food and it'll be fine. Focus on avoiding processed, refined fats because they are unstable. IMO, the issue isn't the ratio but people with high 6:3 ratios simply EAT A LOT OF REFINED SEED OILS! Eating a lot of nuts will skew your 6:3 ratio pretty highly, but IMO a 10:1 ratio that's due to a high consumption of poultry and nuts is not going to have the same issue as a 10:1 ratio where the foundation of your diet is grains and soybean oil.

    And that's the issue IMO. Not the ratio, but the intake of oxidized and trans fats. Now you have people popping oxidized fish oil that traveled hundreds of miles in the back of some hot tractor trailer and sat under fluorescent lighting on store shelves for months refined from farmed fish in the name of balancing a ratio...not for me. Just eliminate the bad fats from your diet and you'll be okay.
    I'm not truly convinced one way or the other about whether the ratio matters, but we are definitely in agreement about the prescription: A diet high in fats from healthy animals and low in fats from processed seed oils.

    That being said, I think it should be pointed out that you're still probably better off focusing on grass-fed beef and wild-caught fish than chicken or pork, and the general categories of animals, vegetables, squashes and tubers over nuts and seeds, and whole foods over processed manufactured products.

    Not sure exactly what that means for the OP's LDL question, however. Is it LDL-C that's a problem, LDL-P, ox-LDL, TG:HDL, TC:HDL, or none of the above that we should be worried about? The concensus is that there's no concensus. So we're back to the same prescription. Eat a diet high in fats from healthy animals and low in processed seed oils.

  4. #14
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,941
    Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    THANKS so much! I'm off to do some reading. As you might imagine, the doc dismissed any conversation about PUFAs from fish oils contributing to the lab results. As a matter of fact, we requested the NMR; doc didn't even know what it was.
    Yeah, I had a similar conversation with my Doctor recently. She didn't know the difference between LDL-C and LDL-P, much less that the NMR is the only accurate way to measure the latter. Guess if I'm taking a statin...

  5. #15
    JoanieL's Avatar
    JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    Posts
    6,977
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
    Great article here on this. I'm also a big fan of Udo's Oil, if you have a health food store nearby.
    I read the article you linked, and this totally freaked me out:

    Soybean oil alone is now so ubiquitous in fast foods and processed foods that an astounding 20 percent of the calories in the American diet are estimated to come from this single source.
    The really are out to get us.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

    B*tch-lite

  6. #16
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,605
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    That being said, I think it should be pointed out that you're still probably better off focusing on grass-fed beef and wild-caught fish than chicken or pork, and the general categories of animals, vegetables, squashes and tubers over nuts and seeds, and whole foods over processed manufactured products.
    I agree, but not because of some omega 3:6 ratio.

    Grassfed beef and wild caught fish are better because they are more nutrient-dense per calorie and don't contain the antibiotics that CAFO-raised animals do. Farmed salmon is a nasty gray color (color is added later) while wild caught salmon is a nice orange/pink. I think that says a lot about the health of the animal you are eating. Eating sick animals sick people.

    I don't think there is anything wrong with eating chicken. At all. Do I think beef and lamb are healthier? Yea, but let's not let perfect be the enemy of good. Chicken is still healthy.

    I think vegetables, squashes and tubers are healthier than nuts and seeds because they contain less anti-nutrients and are much more nutritious per calorie. Whole foods over processed is a no-brainer, except in rare exceptions (white rice vs brown rice, nixtamalized corn vs untreated corn, soaked nuts/legumes vs raw...of course it's up to you to decide if these are all whole foods).
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  7. #17
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,941
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I agree, but not because of some omega 3:6 ratio.
    Yup. That's precisely the point I was trying to get across. You don't believe, I'm on the border of belief/agnosticism about it, and we can imagine a 3rd person who totally buys it, and we can all ultimately draw the same conclusions about what's good and safe and nutritious to eat and what's not.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Grassfed beef and wild caught fish are better because they are more nutrient-dense per calorie and don't contain the antibiotics that CAFO-raised animals do. Farmed salmon is a nasty gray color (color is added later) while wild caught salmon is a nice orange/pink. I think that says a lot about the health of the animal you are eating. Eating sick animals sick people.

    I don't think there is anything wrong with eating chicken. At all. Do I think beef and lamb are healthier? Yea, but let's not let perfect be the enemy of good. Chicken is still healthy.

    I think vegetables, squashes and tubers are healthier than nuts and seeds because they contain less anti-nutrients and are much more nutritious per calorie. Whole foods over processed is a no-brainer, except in rare exceptions (white rice vs brown rice, nixtamalized corn vs untreated corn, soaked nuts/legumes vs raw...of course it's up to you to decide if these are all whole foods).
    Again, we're in agreement on all of this. Acceptance or rejection of the relevance of n-6:n-3 ratio notwithstanding.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •