Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: who feeds their dogs a raw diet? page

not on the rug is online now Senior Member

who feeds their dogs a raw diet?

Shop Now
    i know it has been discussed here before, but i was too lazy to search so i thought i'd start a new thread. i've always fed high quality, grain free food food to my dogs, but lately i've been thinking of going to a raw diet. what do you guys feed your doggies, and what kind of transition did you make to get them there? any tips, suggestions, advice?
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    My first ridiculous answer:

Dog food is a scam perpetuated by the food conglomerates to sell us waste products.

Dogs should eat your scraps, not a food processing facility's, dammit.

My other ridiculous answer:

Also, they should eat US Wellness Meats pet burger, but only if they pry it from my cold, dead fork.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    My first ridiculous answer:

Dog food is a scam perpetuated by the food conglomerates to sell us waste products.

Dogs should eat your scraps, not a food processing facility's, dammit.

My other ridiculous answer:

Also, they should eat US Wellness Meats pet burger, but only if they pry it from my cold, dead fork.
    i knew you'd chime in on this one...you love that pet burger. and i agree with you 100% i need to do this raw thing as affordably as possible, and with my 2 monsters, i'd be feeding them $120 worth of pet burger a week. not exactly financially feasable
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

drjoyous is offline Senior Member
    Funny, we raised our dogs "primally"...but WE weren't primal until a few months ago!!! Anyway, our kennel "pedigrees" are now 20 and 21 years old. Some senility in one, some arthritis in the other, both have some hearing issues, neither actually RUNS any more...but they romp in the snow and generally love life still! Oh, and we have a 16 year old cat still going strong (although we adopt only elderly cats that have been turned in to the SPCA, so we didn't get him until he was 14 and our 19 year old cat had died. We had adopted the 19 year old at 17, and she had cancer...).

So primal is the way to go for animals!

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    i knew you'd chime in on this one...you love that pet burger. and i agree with you 100% i need to do this raw thing as affordably as possible, and with my 2 monsters, i'd be feeding them $120 worth of pet burger a week. not exactly financially feasable
    Yeah, feeding them that exclusively is definitely out, but once a week probably isn't a bad idea. Dig some tiny burmese tiger traps in the yard and bait them with acorns. They'll eat squirrel, right?

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Yeah, feeding them that exclusively is definitely out, but once a week probably isn't a bad idea. Dig some tiny burmese tiger traps in the yard and bait them with acorns. They'll eat squirrel, right?
    i'm sure they would. when jake was younger he used to chase squirrels all the time. he seriously tried to climb a tree after a squirrel once. both of them chase rabbits around the yard all the time

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    If you feed them a raw diet make sure it includes all the animal parts, like organs, and not just the meat/hamburger. Since you're in NJ you could probably pick up a lot of roadkill deer.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    There's a pet thread in the Success Stories sub forum. Cat and dog owners alike!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    i'm sure they would. when jake was younger he used to chase squirrels all the time. he seriously tried to climb a tree after a squirrel once. both of them chase rabbits around the yard all the time
    Time to start bagging some squirrels. Blow gun legal?

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    We adopted our dog at 9 months old from the shelter. We tried a bagged raw food initially but it made him sick. Vet told us to feed him chicken parts. We just started feeding it to him and he ate it no transition at all. The 16+ year old cat took from April to December to fully transition to raw food. Neither will eat organ meats except on rare occasions when I can sneak a little liver to them. The cat eats some raw fish on occasion but generally prefers raw chicken. It's really not hard. a few left over vegetables for the dog and all seems well and everyone is healthy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast