Thread: Contaminated meat latest news. ;-) page

Lewis is offline Senior Member

Contaminated meat latest news. ;-)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Breaking News: Glaswegians have been rushing to buy Tesco Value meals in the hope of getting high on illegal veterinary drugs fed to the horses.

It makes a good joke. The presence of drug residues is a reality, though. The Times of London reports the finding of traces of phenylbutazone.

The Times also reports that Government ministers considered it "inevitable" that unlawful meat would be imported into Britain from Europe and had known of the likelihood since last summer.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Another reason to be glad we can buy free range organic BEEF from the butcher...

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    another reason to be glad we live in NZ
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Yet try buying properly labeled horse meat.. its bloody expensive!
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    It was amusing looking at shopping baskets this morning - my local supermarket was selling out of whole cuts of meat very quickly, but anything minced or ready-made (frozen or otherwise) seemed to be backing up ...

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oliviascotland View Post
    It was amusing looking at shopping baskets this morning - my local supermarket was selling out of whole cuts of meat very quickly, but anything minced or ready-made (frozen or otherwise) seemed to be backing up ...
    Exactly, Olivia. News outlets are already reporting that sales of processed meat products are dropping through the floor. It's also reported that some shoppers are boycotting the supermarkets and returning to using "traditional suppliets" -- by which, I guess, butchers are meant. The reports say it will be years before consumers recover confidence in the supermarkets. Personally, I doubt that. But there's the answer: shop locally from trusted suppliers whom you know.

Basically, the supermarkets taking over the role of the butcher, baker, fishmonger, milkman et al and everything going the way of massive, multi-national supply chains is at the root of the problem. It's like Saruman taking over the Shire.

Anyone who's read Joel Salatin could probably have predicted this. Heavy rains here, recently: the streams and rivers were running brown. Joel could have told us why that was too.

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    I love Joel Salatin's outlook - and try to buy local and "farm friendly". My neighbour is a shepherd who sources me local, organic, totally grass-fed lamb, (although I do have to do quite a lot of the butchering) and local grass-fed beef, which I go to the farm to butcher and collect (and to pick out the next animals for my freezer!), but sadly I use the supermarkets for some of my supplies (washing-up liquid, soap powder, etc). We have a good local butcher who currently has queues out of the door, and our local farm shops are suddenly selling out of everything! I only hope that it lasts and that we can start to get people to understand more about where their food is coming from. But somehow I expect that in a couple of months or so it will all be back to "normal" :-/