Thread: Headaches on IF days? page

Carnivore is offline Member

Headaches on IF days?

Primal Fuel
    I've done IF three times now (1 20-hr and 2 18s). I fast from dinner until mid-late afternoon the following day. I drink nothing but water while fasting and I drink plenty of it so I'm sure it's not dehydration.

Anyone else? I otherwise enjoy the fasting but after about 16 hours the headache kicks in and it doesn't go away until I go to bed at night.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    I have never IF before in my life. This is because I am not trying to gain weight. But, I will probably try it very soon - maybe within a month.

I would guess that getting headaches during your first few IF are normal. If you are not used to it then it will take time to, well, get used too.

I could be wrong but this is just what I think. Anyone else have input?

If you continue to get headaches then you should look into it more. My 2 cents
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Do you normally have caffeine? Maybe having a cup of tea or coffee during IF would help.

Good luck!

rabbidchicken69 is offline Senior Member
    I got those for the first couple weeks i tried IF coffee did help me but it was black no cream no sugar, i had a cup with a tablespoon of sugar the first time to try and help and it made it way worse.

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Could be a few things - probably electrolyte imbalance. Add some salt to your water and make sure you're getting enough of it when you're eating.

primal pete is offline Senior Member
    if you're still somewhat addicted to sugar, as most people still are after recently starting the pb, that could be it. I had headaches too when I first started IFing, but they are almost non existent since I've done it several times now.

FrankOcean is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosenberry View Post
    I have never IF before in my life. This is because I am not trying to gain weight.
    Wait...what??

Me confused.

And for me, the pain in my head was more anxiety related...then It went away.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Carnivore, in my carb days I couldn't skip a single meal without getting a raging headache. Nowadays, I get a very mild headache around 30-36 hours of fasting, so I almost never go that long. 20 hours is my usual fast and I feel super throughout.

In both cases, I think it's low blood glucose that causes the headache. When you're used to eating carbs, your body has a hard time making sugar from fat. I suspect that you're not fully acclimated to a low-carb diet -- it takes about 2-4 weeks if you don't cheat.

There are certainly other possibilities though, especially electrolyte imbalance as Suki mentioned. But don't worry, practice makes perfect! Your body will learn to fast easier over time.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankOcean View Post
    Wait...what??

Me confused.

And for me, the pain in my head was more anxiety related...then It went away.
    Haha, yea... I meant to say I am trying to gain weight... I lost 15 lbs. and now just want to gain muscle. But, I may try IF very soon. Sorry for the confusion!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Carnivore is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the replies, all! I don't drink caffeine and haven't had any sugars outside of the occasional bit of fruit or glass of wine. The latter might explain the headaches last time but not the time before. Hmmmm.