Thread: Pregnancy and this new Primal/Paleo diet? page

idreamofsilence Guest

Pregnancy and this new Primal/Paleo diet?

Shop Now
    So I am not really sure what I am doing! I just need some help! I am 16 weeks pregnant and have basically been a vegan/vegetarian for 16 years! I just recently added a little bacon to my diet (yum - even though it still makes me sad) and I've tried chicken (which I didn't enjoy, but I need to get used to it). My question is, what is the best way to get the nutrition I need, while also being able to handle eating meat again. Like I said, I have just started with little bits of only fresh bacon bits on salad or a quarter sized piece of grilled chicken and seemed to be okay. But how many times a day or how much meat should I even eat to get the 70+ grams of protein I would need in pregnancy? Any kind of suggestions or responses will be greatly appreciated. If this needs to be moved for whatever reason or if there is another post on it, feel free to do so or let me know. Thanks!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    If it helps, generally 1 oz of animal flesh contains 7g of protein. So roughly 10 oz of meat daily. Alternately you could eat Greek yogurt. Chobani and Fage both have 23g per serving.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Congrats on your pregnancy!

You don't have to get all your protein from meat. Try adding more eggs and cheese at first, then small amounts of fish. Ground grass-fed beef or lamb mixed into some veggies next.

Kombucha will help with digestion- try 3-4 oz with each meal. Eat smaller meals and not too much liquid with each meal to aid digestion.

And don't stress, just keep eating the most nutrient-dense foods you can. Liver pâté is a wonderful way to get sufficient iron, Vitamin A, folate and other B vitamins. Check out US Wellness Meats, if you are having trouble finding humanely-raised meat where you live.

See my signature for a link to an article I wrote about Primal Pregnancy.