Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated with Cholesterol

Hybrid View

Frustrated with Cholesterol

I said I'd post my test results and here they are. Everythng was in the normal range (Chloride a little low) except Cholesterol. It has always been very high. So here's todays and the past results. I can make almost nothing of this. I have all the rest of the data if anyone is interested. I don't 'remember what the "other cholerterol drugs" were, but 2 have been removed from the 'safe' list.
    I've read a number of the research studies on cholesterol and question their conclusions. One I read today was from a large population, but that population was entirely 'heavy smokers'. Is that a study of a normal population? And then there were no conclusions at all about smoking, only about cholesterol.

2/12/2013 – on PB 3 months, nothing else
    CHOLESTEROL 333 <200

10/29/2012 – on Zetia and Niacin
    CHOLESTEROL 326 <200

3/27/2012 – on Niacin
    CHOLESTEROL 329 <200

2/03/2012 – on ‘other cholesterol drugs + niacin, Jenny Craig
    CHOLESTEROL 273 <200

10/27/2011 – on a statin + zetia, Jenny Craig
    CHOLESTEROL 222 <200

7/13/2011 – on a statin, Jenny Craig
    CHOLESTEROL 292 <200

09/20/2010 – on ‘other cholesterol drugs + niacin, Jenny Craig
    CHOLESTEROL 342 <200

07/05/2010- on a statin, Jenny Craig
    CHOLESTEROL 209 <200

04/08/2010– on a statin, Jenny Craig
    CHOLESTEROL 210 <200

11/25/2009– on a statin
    CHOLESTEROL 275 <200

02/18/2009– on a statin
    CHOLESTEROL 208 <200

03/10/2003 – on nothing
    CHOLESTEROL 535 <200

Every test on a statin was on a different statin. It took time to prove that I'm allergic to them all. I'm thoroughly frustrated with this. I'm promising myself I'll never think about it again, no matter what any doctor says. I sure hope I can succeed with this promise, because the doctors are on me like glue.

Can anyone draw any conclusions or even ideas from this.

Are you exercising a ton? What about "megadosing" apples and other foods that lower cholesterol?
    Steak, eggs, potatoes - fruits, nuts, berries and forage. Coconut milk and potent herbs and spices. Tea instead of coffee now and teeny amounts of kelp daily. Let's see how this does! Not really had dairy much, and gut seems better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Are you exercising a ton? What about "megadosing" apples and other foods that lower cholesterol?
    No, i'm exercizing very little. But I'm starting now to increase the time and amount.
    I didn't know apples lower cholesterol. What other foods do? I'll surely do that, give it a try.

Yesterday I was really bummed out, I guess I was hoping for a miracle. Today I feel better in general and about this. I could look at the results as saying that PB is as good as anything non-statin, and has every chance of continuing improvement.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 02-14-2013 at 10:22 AM.

What are the breakdowns of HDL, Trigs, LDL (a and b, if poss.)? TC per se is not a great predictor of much of anything.

Are you male or female, and what is your trig/HDL/LDL ratios?

Have you read the primer in my sig?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Are you male or female, and what is your trig/HDL/LDL ratios?

Have you read the primer in my sig?
    Yes, I've read Griff's papers on Cholesterol, several times. I understand about the platlett size. However about 4 days before my test Mark's blog discussed that none of the tests for determining platlett size were reliable, so I decided not to ask for one. I'm female.

This week / previous test
    CHOLESTEROL 333 / 326
    TRIGLYCERIDE 118 / 129
    HDL 64 / 54
    LDL CALCULATED 245 / 246
    CHOLESTEROL/HIGH DENSITY LIPOPROTEIN 5.2 / 6.0

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone
    TSH 1.44 Healthy Range 0.35 - 4.00 uIU/mL

Thyroid is fine. My body has always pumped out a lot of cholersterol, so did my parents and their parents. But I have hope that PB will continue to lower it. We'll find out in another 3 months.

So - this morning I've had a phone call from Kaiser's Cholesterol Center. They've seen my test results and they're preparing for another assault. I do hate to tell a doctor to go to h**l, but I'll try to do it nicely. After all, I've done everything they're told me for all these years and it has resulted in nothing but misery, pain, and trouble.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 02-14-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Yes, I've read Griff's papers on Cholesterol, several times. I understand about the platlett size. However about 4 days before my test Mark's blog discussed that none of the test for determining platlett size were reliable, so I decided not to ask for one.

This week / previous test
    CHOLESTEROL 333 / 326
    TRIGLYCERIDE 118 / 129
    HDL 64 / 54
    LDL CALCULATED 245 / 246
    CHOLESTEROL/HIGH DENSITY LIPOPROTEIN 5.2 / 6.0
    I think you might have stopped griff's primer at the first post. It's so awesome that it can't be contained in a single post. And in fact, the most important bit is actually over on the second post.

Here's your cholesterol numbers reformulated as ratios:
    Total/HDL: (ideal = 5 or below) Yours=5.2, previously 6.0
    Trig/HDL: (ideal = 2 or below) Yours=1.8, previous 2.4
    LDL/HDL: (ideal = 4.3 or below) Yours=3.8, previous 4.5

Look at that. EVERY ratio is moving in the right direction. Both your Trig and LDL ratios are great. Your Total ratio is trending well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    So - this morning I've had a phone call from Kaiser's Cholesterol Center. They've seen my test results and they're preparing for another assult. I do hate to tell a doctor to go to h**l, but I'll try to do it nicely. After all, I've done everything they're told me for all these years and it has resulted in nothing but misery, pain, and trouble.
    I think that I've shown you don't need medication. You just need some more healthy fats to boost your HDL even higher.

If you ask them about ratios and they give you CW BS, then feel free to disregard their advice.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 02-14-2013 at 05:59 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Thank you, Magicmerl I'll give that argument a try. I agree it won't work, but it will give me talking points before saying no to whatever they're going to advise.

Cryptocode, total cholesterol is a nearly meaningless lab value by itself. It's been shown repeatedly in the literature that total cholesterol is a poor predictor of cardiovascular health. As another poster above said, please post your breakdown of HDL, LDL, and TG if you have them.

The one exception is if your cholesterol is in the 1000s (usually due to a congenital enzyme abnormality).

Yeah, there's usually no reason at all to lower your cholesterol. I just thought you were feeling crafty. Like a "How can I make the whites of my eyes whiter" and "train your cat to jump through a hoop" sort of rainy-day thing. I mean, it would be fun to lower your cholesterol, like learning to weave baskets. But no, it will not make you any healthier.
    Steak, eggs, potatoes - fruits, nuts, berries and forage. Coconut milk and potent herbs and spices. Tea instead of coffee now and teeny amounts of kelp daily. Let's see how this does! Not really had dairy much, and gut seems better for it.