Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated with Cholesterol page

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member

Frustrated with Cholesterol

Primal Fuel
    I said I'd post my test results and here they are. Everythng was in the normal range (Chloride a little low) except Cholesterol. It has always been very high. So here's todays and the past results. I can make almost nothing of this. I have all the rest of the data if anyone is interested. I don't 'remember what the "other cholerterol drugs" were, but 2 have been removed from the 'safe' list.
    I've read a number of the research studies on cholesterol and question their conclusions. One I read today was from a large population, but that population was entirely 'heavy smokers'. Is that a study of a normal population? And then there were no conclusions at all about smoking, only about cholesterol.

2/12/2013 – on PB 3 months, nothing else
    CHOLESTEROL 333 <200

10/29/2012 – on Zetia and Niacin
    CHOLESTEROL 326 <200

3/27/2012 – on Niacin
    CHOLESTEROL 329 <200

2/03/2012 – on ‘other cholesterol drugs + niacin, Jenny Craig
    CHOLESTEROL 273 <200

10/27/2011 – on a statin + zetia, Jenny Craig
    CHOLESTEROL 222 <200

7/13/2011 – on a statin, Jenny Craig
    CHOLESTEROL 292 <200

09/20/2010 – on ‘other cholesterol drugs + niacin, Jenny Craig
    CHOLESTEROL 342 <200

07/05/2010- on a statin, Jenny Craig
    CHOLESTEROL 209 <200

04/08/2010– on a statin, Jenny Craig
    CHOLESTEROL 210 <200

11/25/2009– on a statin
    CHOLESTEROL 275 <200

02/18/2009– on a statin
    CHOLESTEROL 208 <200

03/10/2003 – on nothing
    CHOLESTEROL 535 <200

Every test on a statin was on a different statin. It took time to prove that I'm allergic to them all. I'm thoroughly frustrated with this. I'm promising myself I'll never think about it again, no matter what any doctor says. I sure hope I can succeed with this promise, because the doctors are on me like glue.

Can anyone draw any conclusions or even ideas from this.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Are you exercising a ton? What about "megadosing" apples and other foods that lower cholesterol?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Are you exercising a ton? What about "megadosing" apples and other foods that lower cholesterol?
    No, i'm exercizing very little. But I'm starting now to increase the time and amount.
    I didn't know apples lower cholesterol. What other foods do? I'll surely do that, give it a try.

Yesterday I was really bummed out, I guess I was hoping for a miracle. Today I feel better in general and about this. I could look at the results as saying that PB is as good as anything non-statin, and has every chance of continuing improvement.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 02-14-2013 at 10:22 AM.

What are the breakdowns of HDL, Trigs, LDL (a and b, if poss.)? TC per se is not a great predictor of much of anything.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Are you male or female, and what is your trig/HDL/LDL ratios?

Have you read the primer in my sig?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

ulnauy is offline Member
    Cryptocode, total cholesterol is a nearly meaningless lab value by itself. It's been shown repeatedly in the literature that total cholesterol is a poor predictor of cardiovascular health. As another poster above said, please post your breakdown of HDL, LDL, and TG if you have them.

The one exception is if your cholesterol is in the 1000s (usually due to a congenital enzyme abnormality).

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, there's usually no reason at all to lower your cholesterol. I just thought you were feeling crafty. Like a "How can I make the whites of my eyes whiter" and "train your cat to jump through a hoop" sort of rainy-day thing. I mean, it would be fun to lower your cholesterol, like learning to weave baskets. But no, it will not make you any healthier.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Yeah, there's usually no reason at all to lower your cholesterol. I just thought you were feeling crafty. Like a "How can I make the whites of my eyes whiter" and "train your cat to jump through a hoop" sort of rainy-day thing. I mean, it would be fun to lower your cholesterol, like learning to weave baskets. But no, it will not make you any healthier.
    That's not entirely true, but mainstream thinking on cholesterol is so wrong that what you have said is far more correct.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Also, are you losing weight? Burning fat can cause your chol level to go up for a while.

I'm guessing if you are three months in and your levels are about the same +/- 3% as on the drugs, you're still doing okay.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Have you had your thyroid checked? Start tracking your morning temperature. If it is below 97, you are hypothyroid, which is likely the cause of your cholesterol issues.
    Cholesterol, longevity, intelligence, and health.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast