Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated with Cholesterol page 2

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Have you had your thyroid checked? Start tracking your morning temperature. If it is below 97, you are hypothyroid, which is likely the cause of your cholesterol issues.
    Cholesterol, longevity, intelligence, and health.
    Yep. The upshot is that you should take Iodine and Selenium and avoid VLC to boost your thyroid.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I had an Indian boss who told me high cholesterol ran in his family, and so he had to go to extreme measures to bring it down. He was on a vegetarian diet with lots of self-imposed restrictions. He was sick a lot, and ended up in the hospital on a regular basis. He told me it was killing off his family. I asked at what age, and he said, "In their 70s." That sounds within the margin of error to me.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Are you male or female, and what is your trig/HDL/LDL ratios?

Have you read the primer in my sig?
    Yes, I've read Griff's papers on Cholesterol, several times. I understand about the platlett size. However about 4 days before my test Mark's blog discussed that none of the tests for determining platlett size were reliable, so I decided not to ask for one. I'm female.

This week / previous test
    CHOLESTEROL 333 / 326
    TRIGLYCERIDE 118 / 129
    HDL 64 / 54
    LDL CALCULATED 245 / 246
    CHOLESTEROL/HIGH DENSITY LIPOPROTEIN 5.2 / 6.0

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone
    TSH 1.44 Healthy Range 0.35 - 4.00 uIU/mL

Thyroid is fine. My body has always pumped out a lot of cholersterol, so did my parents and their parents. But I have hope that PB will continue to lower it. We'll find out in another 3 months.

So - this morning I've had a phone call from Kaiser's Cholesterol Center. They've seen my test results and they're preparing for another assault. I do hate to tell a doctor to go to h**l, but I'll try to do it nicely. After all, I've done everything they're told me for all these years and it has resulted in nothing but misery, pain, and trouble.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 02-14-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I had an Indian boss who told me high cholesterol ran in his family, and so he had to go to extreme measures to bring it down. He was on a vegetarian diet with lots of self-imposed restrictions. He was sick a lot, and ended up in the hospital on a regular basis. He told me it was killing off his family. I asked at what age, and he said, "In their 70s." That sounds within the margin of error to me.
    Thank you I think. Is this supposed to be encouraging or discouraging? At least i'm not on a vegetarian diet. (I'm 75)
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 02-14-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Also, are you losing weight? Burning fat can cause your chol level to go up for a while.

I'm guessing if you are three months in and your levels are about the same +/- 3% as on the drugs, you're still doing okay.
    That's what I'm hoping. I lost weight the first month, 14 lbs. The next 2 months I gained back 4 lbs. So no, I'm not loosing weight, nor am I trying to.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 02-14-2013 at 08:58 PM.

ulnauy is offline Member
    The most predicative ratio is TG/HDL (ideal < 2). Yours is 1.84.
    The most predicative single value is HDL (ideal > 60). Yours is 64.
    Plus you've only been PB for 3 months.
    Are you getting any resistance exercise? That would be one way to up your HDL even more.
    I really wouldn't worry about LDL because it's not accurately measured and you can't differentiate between the good and bad LDL.
    TG's you want to keep lower but 118 is well within the ideal of <150.
    I think you've got nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Cholesterol, longevity, intelligence, and health.
    Thank you. I enjoyed that article.

Quote Originally Posted by ulnauy View Post
    The most predicative ratio is TG/HDL (ideal < 2). Yours is 1.84.
    The most predicative single value is HDL (ideal > 60). Yours is 64.
    Plus you've only been PB for 3 months.
    Are you getting any resistance exercise? That would be one way to up your HDL even more.
    I really wouldn't worry about LDL because it's not accurately measured and you can't differentiate between the good and bad LDL.
    TG's you want to keep lower but 118 is well within the ideal of <150.
    I think you've got nothing to worry about.
    Thank you very much. Whewwww! Thank makes me feel much better. I've started some resistance exercise, about 20 min, once a week. When I started PB I couldn't walk or stand up unsupported, so I'm talking it slowly.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Yes, I've read Griff's papers on Cholesterol, several times. I understand about the platlett size. However about 4 days before my test Mark's blog discussed that none of the test for determining platlett size were reliable, so I decided not to ask for one.

This week / previous test
    CHOLESTEROL 333 / 326
    TRIGLYCERIDE 118 / 129
    HDL 64 / 54
    LDL CALCULATED 245 / 246
    CHOLESTEROL/HIGH DENSITY LIPOPROTEIN 5.2 / 6.0
    I think you might have stopped griff's primer at the first post. It's so awesome that it can't be contained in a single post. And in fact, the most important bit is actually over on the second post.

Here's your cholesterol numbers reformulated as ratios:
    Total/HDL: (ideal = 5 or below) Yours=5.2, previously 6.0
    Trig/HDL: (ideal = 2 or below) Yours=1.8, previous 2.4
    LDL/HDL: (ideal = 4.3 or below) Yours=3.8, previous 4.5

Look at that. EVERY ratio is moving in the right direction. Both your Trig and LDL ratios are great. Your Total ratio is trending well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    So - this morning I've had a phone call from Kaiser's Cholesterol Center. They've seen my test results and they're preparing for another assult. I do hate to tell a doctor to go to h**l, but I'll try to do it nicely. After all, I've done everything they're told me for all these years and it has resulted in nothing but misery, pain, and trouble.
    I think that I've shown you don't need medication. You just need some more healthy fats to boost your HDL even higher.

If you ask them about ratios and they give you CW BS, then feel free to disregard their advice.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 02-14-2013 at 06:59 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you, Magicmerl I'll give that argument a try. I agree it won't work, but it will give me talking points before saying no to whatever they're going to advise.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast