Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why can't I peel an egg?!?? page

healthy11 is offline Senior Member

Why can't I peel an egg?!??

Primal Fuel
    No matter which way I hard-boil an egg I can never seem to peel them without a lot of the white coming off with the shell. I've tried adding salt or baking soda to the water. I have tried different cooking times. I've tried boiling and baking.

Has anyone found a way to successfully peel eggs? It drives me crazy!!!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Your eggs might be too fresh. Sometimes that makes hard boiled eggs hard to peel.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Nope... not too fresh. I am aware that can make them harder to peel. How do you cook yours? How long? Do you peel while still warm or completely cold? What's the secret? Lol.

I typically do it while still slightly warm. Tap a few times and then roll it a few times on the counter and then start peeling

aktres is offline Senior Member
    Peel under running water. Use Julia Childs recipe for boiling. She boils, then ices, then puts in hot water again to loosen the shell.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    I have found that peeling them while still "hot" the membrane on the inside of the shell doesn't adhere to the white and the eggs come out much nicer.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Steaming, instead of boiling, is supposed to give consistently easy to peel eggs.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    I too find that that still warm is the way to go, I usally put the eggs in cold water, bring to the boild, slap the lid on the pan when it's up to a fast boil, turn the heat off and give it 10 mins, then pour off the water, cover with cold, then peal after that.

Cracking the shells all over seem to help so roll around on the worktop or I use the back of a tea-spoon to bash the shell.

My final tip which seem to work each time for me is to use a tea-spoon with a thin flat handle, once you've found the air pocket you slip the tea-spoon handle inbetween the shell and the egg and use it to peel the egg. This vid shows it using the spoon bit, I usally give the shell a good cracking first and use the handle.

Apparantly you can blow them out too

You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    My grandma said that after boiling the eggs you have to put them in cold water, thats what makes them easy to peel. Works for me.

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    add bicarb to the water before you extract the eggs. Can't recall the reason but it works

Or roll along a bench and start peeling from the air pocket

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast