Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thought Experiment: keep Paleo a secret? page 2

whitebear is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Sounded just a wee bit biased to me. I for one would love to see paleo/primal take hold in the mainstream. Even if they don't get it right it still has to be better than what we have now. It would be great to see the availability go up and the cost go down of primal foods.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whitebear View Post
    Sounded just a wee bit biased to me. I for one would love to see paleo/primal take hold in the mainstream. Even if they don't get it right it still has to be better than what we have now. It would be great to see the availability go up and the cost go down of primal foods.
    Why would cost go down?

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Why would cost go down?
    It would be great to see the huge public subsidies that go to big Ag and big pharma redirected to producing real healthy food. We need the pastured pork lobby and the cross fit lobby and the grass-fed lobby to man up and kick some ass in DC, really flex their muscles. OTH, collapse of the system as we know if seems more likely than that scenario

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Why would cost go down?
    Economies of scale relate to how the cost of producing something goes down as the ability to produce more of those items go up. So, theoretically, the more animals that were raised in a healthful manner, the less it would cost to produce each one, so more would be produced, etc., until the consumer saw a price reduction.

Eg: the amount of computer you can buy today for about $350 would have probably cost you $1500 in 1990.

I'm not sure how long it would take for the price to actually go down, but if subsidies went to sustainable farming practices, and got taken away from CAFO producers, the difference in prices between the two would certainly decrease.

So a person today that thinks, "I'm not paying twice as much for grass fed," if the prices got closer, might think that a 50% price difference wasn't so bad. And so on.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

whitebear is offline Senior Member
    Why would cost go down?
    If the producers are able to sell more product they can lower the price per and still make a profit through quantity sold.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Economies of scale relate to how the cost of producing something goes down as the ability to produce more of those items go up. So, theoretically, the more animals that were raised in a healthful manner, the less it would cost to produce each one, so more would be produced, etc., until the consumer saw a price reduction.

Eg: the amount of computer you can buy today for about $350 would have probably cost you $1500 in 1990.

I'm not sure how long it would take for the price to actually go down, but if subsidies went to sustainable farming practices, and got taken away from CAFO producers, the difference in prices between the two would certainly decrease.

So a person today that thinks, "I'm not paying twice as much for grass fed," if the prices got closer, might think that a 50% price difference wasn't so bad. And so on.
    Can you explain to me how economies of scale positively affect the way animals are raised the way we like them to be?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I don't really know enough about farming/raising livestock to be able to tell you anything specific. I'm guessing though that if one buys a thousand acres, it might cost less per acre than someone who buys 20 acres. And the seed to grass it would cost less per pound the more pounds you bought. So, if by chance those two assumptions are correct, then the production cost per animal would also go down.

That's all I have.

I don't actually think that the price of grass fed/wild/organic is over-priced, though I did when I first went primal fairly seriously. I think that CAFO/farmed/non-organic is artificially underpriced because of subsidies and the fact that the product is substandard if you compare it to the more healthy model.

If more people want it, more people will produce it. If more people produce it, there will be more competition. In theory, the more producers and competition, the cheaper the end product.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

The supply and demand graphs are different and settle on an equilibrium price depend on how much they are affected by regulations and increases/decreases in supply and demand. I don't think you could apply a blanket statement assuming that prices will go down automatically because the supply will go down. There are other variables affecting the price as well.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    One thing I have heard is that when the white man came to America there were more bison on the plains than there are cattle now today.

One thing I saw on a drive through Utah last summer put the whole stupidity of our current system into perspective. On one side of the interstate was a feedlot with cattle standing on bandini mountains of their own poop and being fed whatever feed that had to be brought in with a truck. Unclear from where, but my bet was that they probably trucked their feed in from far away, not from the alfalfa field directly on the other side of the freeway.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    PrimalCon New York
    Paleo is over.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast