Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stress management, how do you cope? page

Stress management, how do you cope?

Primal Fuel
    Lets look at the mental/emotional/psychological side of nutrition for a bit, how do you cope with the stress in your life, whether it's a bad day at work, food having power and control over you, kids or significant others that drive you up a wall, etc etc etc

Naturally a lot of us turn to food in a lot of these cases, but lets see how we can go about changing these out comes. What positive forms of stress reduction works well for you? What simple (or not so simple)changes do you feel that you can implement into your life. Lets get a list going of those things that make us feel good, even if it seems like life is crumbling around us.

I'll start.

As someone that deals with a lot of unresolved anger, pent up aggression, and numerous frustrations I find that one of the best things that I am able to do for myself that doesn't result in shoveling food into my mouth is putting on my boxing gloves and having a full on assault with my punching bag. Not only is it a phenomenal work out, but it's great for stress reduction. It is something that I CAN hit without consequence. It is a natural release of endorphins that make you feel good and tends to leave me exhausted and relaxed.

Okay, it's your turn now

catdance62 is offline Senior Member
    I usually just work out, or go for a walk or something. Honestly though, I really don't have stress in my life as far as people go. When someone keeps on stressing me out I just eliminate them from my life. I don't have any kids so that is not an issue and I don't really have any family, other than my husband (my parents live 1000 miles from me). My biggest stressor is owning my own business and doing all the bookkeeping for both my business and my husbands businesses, but I have been my own boss almost my whole adult life so I guess I am used to it. Maybe even thrive on it? Who knows.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Just stopping and breathing I guess.
    I do get some moments of stress with my children or housework or shopping.
    Those situations used to send me to food, but now not. I believe it was the HFLC that stopped my BED, but who really knows

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    exercise is a big one for me, as is any kind of playing with my dog (i love me some oxytocin). i'll also use deep breathing and meditation when needed, but i don't usually get to that point. i think the best stress reducer is prevention, and that just takes some practice in self-awareness.

i would love to have a punching bag set up. stress doesn't move me toward hitting things, and only get angry once or twice a year, which also doesn't make me want to hit things, but something about going berzerker on a punching bag just seems therapeutic.

Punching bags are very theraputic!

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Exercise - if I couldn't lift weights and exert energy in my gym I would kill myself
    Walking the dog - helps wind down at the end of the work day
    Naps & early bed times - nothing helps reduce stress more than when I awake in the morning well rested
    Yoga/Bikram yoga - so relaxed afterward
    Physical affection - 'nuff said
    ad astra per aspera

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    I guess you could say that I'm a stress 'starver'. I don't eat when I get stressed. When highly stressed, I tend to get OCD and will not stop moving, cleaning, tidying, washing, cooking, baking, etc.
    Apparently, my second husband has been a God-send, cuz I've been fatter (read: normal weight) & happy for the last 13 years.
    I think my co-workers and friends are great sounding boards and let me vent to them and offer advice when I need it. Seems to help keep stress in check for me.

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    I hit the bags as well but I also do breathing exercises, knock out some push-ups or pull-ups. My favortie thing to do, besides play with my kids is to take the dogs outside and throw the tennis balls around. Relaxing and gets you away for a few minutes.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I quit jobs that are stressful. I arrange my life to not have stress.

There was a movie in the 80s or maybe the 90s about all these women who go to a nice dinner party and they're all so stressed out and messed up and stuffing food into their mouths. They all look so perfect on the outside to each other but each one of them is a stress-case with an eating disorder. Very disturbing. Did anybody see it? I saw it in a Women's Studies class, I think, so it might not have been mainstream. Anyway. The message I got was nothing is worth ending up like that.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Working out used to be a big one for me, but has been on the back burner since I started having knee issues about a year and a half ago (ended up getting surgery last year, but still have pain when I try to work out). So I've had to find other things:

• Mindfulness meditation
    • Along the same lines, using my emWave (HeartMath LLC)
    • Gratitude Journal
    • Spending time in nature
    • Taking my dog for a walk
    • Taking a long hot bath, followed by a cool shower
    • Using a castor oil pack (just started doing this, it's incredibly relaxing)
    • And, to be honest, though it's not a healthy habit, sometimes a drink or two

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast