Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stress management, how do you cope? page 2

sarahelyse is offline Member
    Being in the midst of dealing with more stress than I've ever had to deal with, I'm currently trying new methods of stress relief. The first thing I do is pretty obvious - I try to eliminate the source of the stress.

When that isn't possible, I've been trying to work on a hobby. My current obsession is gardening. (Researching, planning, seed starting, etc.)

I also second the mindfulness meditation. I'm still pretty new to it, but I really like it!

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    For me, meditation works very well, but only if I do it daily and consistantly.

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am in the middle of my PhD, and last year I was stressing big time - worrying about whether or not I would find something novel, whether I would finish, whether I would complete on time etc. In the end I just had to take a step back and decide NOT to stress. Worrying about when I finish will not help me to finish faster (take that sentence out of context!).

So at the moment I have a huge milestone phd wise coming up, where I present my work so far, and complete a one hour verbal defence of my work and proposed work. I am someone who likes to have stuff finished early (no last minute all nighters for me), but my supervisor does not make this easy for me. Two weeks to go and I still haven't had feedback on my drafts etc. But I am choosing not to stress. Worrying about whether or not I have time to get everything done in time will NOT help me get it done any faster. I will do what I can do, and cannot possibly do any more than I can do.

I have found this 'decision' to not stress helps a lot. Obviously I still stress sometimes, but I don't tend to get caught up in sleepless vortexes of doom every night.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12