Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fasting was a disaster page

murf73 is offline Senior Member

Fasting was a disaster

Shop Now
    So, I read Mark's articles about intermittent fasting, and was really pumped about it. I played around with it a little, skipped a meal here and there when I felt like it. It went pretty well.
    Lately, though I have been wanting to do something a bit more formal. I wanted to do a 24 hour fast. I tried to do it a couple times, but everytime I got to about 14 hours in and then got really hungry with headaches, no energy and my focus and memory goes out the window.
    Well, today I tried for one last time. And it was awful. Well, the first part wasn't too bad, but once 14 hours hit, I got hungry. I actually made it to 18 hours, but I was starving, nauseous, stomachache, headache, horribly cranky was shaking, and couldn't forcus. And then when I did eat, I ended up WAY over eating. 7 eggs. a coconut milk smoothie, 3 pieces of bacon, a big handful of jerky. And a large green apple.
    Should I quit trying this since it obviously isn't working, or does it get better? Input from someone who does IF would be much appreciated.
    Female
    133lbs
    5'5"

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Just curious... why are ou trying IF? What do you hope to get out of it?

I'm asking because you're already at a healthy weight for your height.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Short Answer: Yes you should absolutely quit doing this thing that makes you feel sick.

Longer Answer: Fasting isn't for everyone. How well you tolerate it has a lot to do with what you eat when you do eat, and what kind of person you are, and what your body wants. If you can comfortably go without breakfast and even gain a benefit from doing so, do that.

Mark's premise is not "structured fasting" it is "EAT WHEN YOU ARE HUNGRY." And if that happens to result in a fast, so be it.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Why not try fasting with shorter breaks between meals. I mean, freling that uncomfortably hungry is not a sustainable way to eat Maybe eventually your body will get adapted to longer breaks. If that doesn't happen than then so be it. Fasting is neither mandatory nor for everyone.

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't force the issue.

I fast up to 18hrs semi-regularly, but I don't push it. If I'm hungry, I eat - if not then I don't.

That being said, I couldn't skip meals before going Primal, I would have sugar crashed big-time.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Try a bunch of water.

Sounds like a punk answer, but it's often how I do it.

M.

Please read this: How Intermittent Fasting Saved Me While Slowly Killing me | Civilized Caveman Cooking Creations

Fasting isn't for everyone and it certainly isn't a "starve yourself" thing. If you are hungry and it makes you feel the way you describe. . . STOP! If you can comfortably skip a meal here or there, fine - you're not hungry, no need to ingest calories. But if you become hungry - EAT!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    Short Answer: Yes you should absolutely quit doing this thing that makes you feel sick.

Longer Answer: Fasting isn't for everyone. How well you tolerate it has a lot to do with what you eat when you do eat, and what kind of person you are, and what your body wants. If you can comfortably go without breakfast and even gain a benefit from doing so, do that.

Mark's premise is not "structured fasting" it is "EAT WHEN YOU ARE HUNGRY." And if that happens to result in a fast, so be it.
    This.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    I wouldn't force the issue.

I fast up to 18hrs semi-regularly, but I don't push it. If I'm hungry, I eat - if not then I don't.

That being said, I couldn't skip meals before going Primal, I would have sugar crashed big-time.
    Yep I agree with every point here.

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Fasting is different for women. It can be detrimental to fertility later on. If you are not hungry don't eat, if you are hungry eat something.
    Last edited by Primal123; 02-14-2013 at 02:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast