Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm feeling rather stuck. page

ErinF is offline Senior Member

I'm feeling rather stuck.

Shop Now
    I posted this in the nutrition thread, but thought maybe it would be better posted here...

I'm stuck and need my fellow PB's to help me out of this rut =/ My weight loss has stalled at 135 which is in the higher range for my height of 5'3. I'd like to get down to 20% BF, but I seem to float around 25% (caliper tested at the gym).

I've been consistently doing Zuzana's Zcut workouts for 3 weeks and I have had zero change to my body fat, I'm measuring and weighing the same; although I've been feeling less winded during the workouts. Just for reference the Zcut workouts are usually 5 min warm-up and then 15-20 mins of bodyrock.tv style workouts. It's all body weight stuff like burpees, tuck jumps, lunges, etc. usually done in # of rounds for time.

I've been eating roughly 1300 calories at 60/20/20 f/p/c. I switched to HFLC 75/15/10 f/p/c for about two weeks and lost 3 lbs, but I gave up because my energy levels dropped even more and I wasn't recovering well from my workouts. I've been eating almost no processed food and have been staying away from sugar.

Any suggestions?

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    What do you mean when you say: "I've been eating almost no processed foods"? It's the "almost" that you need to eliminate.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

I mean things like the occasional few chocolate chips, or the coconut milk I rarely drink. I eat cheese that isn't made from raw milk and I use ketchup and/or salsa (store bought) in recipes once or twice a month. I also might have in-n-out burger with no bun maybe once a month. I can't imagine those few things can be the reason I'm stuck. It's very minimal processed if I buy it, and I never eat food with ingredients that look like chemicals.
    Last edited by ErinF; 02-14-2013 at 07:17 AM.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    I'd agree that another look at your diet might be important. I've not really taken a good look at the actual program but it seems to be pretty high rep stuff - maybe it would be better to mix this up with some more conventional strength training? If you are following a high intensity, high rep, low rest program on a daily basis then it probably isn't the best way to build or maintain muscle or make any serious changes to your metabolism.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    Fast in the morning, don't eat until lunch, incorporate more heavy lifting and hiking, diet will result in fat loss more than exercise.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    I'd agree that another look at your diet might be important. I've not really taken a good look at the actual program but it seems to be pretty high rep stuff - maybe it would be better to mix this up with some more conventional strength training? If you are following a high intensity, high rep, low rest program on a daily basis then it probably isn't the best way to build or maintain muscle or make any serious changes to your metabolism.
    Agree with Coach P as usual. Wanted to add:

Quote Originally Posted by how the original post sounds to me
    Hi everyone. I'm sending my body the signal that there's not a lot of energy available by only feeding it 1300 calories a day. I'm also forcing it to expend a ton of energy by doing a very high rep, high frequency workout program. I can't understand why it's not eager to relinquish its energy stores...
    Let your body know it will be not just fed, but nourished. Give it stimulus to adapt to, and time to adapt. Get your sleep in order. Get your sleep in order. Aim to reduce stress in your life. Get your sleep in order. Good luck!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Just because your weight may be in the higher range for you height does not necessarily mean you are overweight. I'm the same weight as you. I am not a waif and never will be. I suppose I could starve myself to a more waifish appearance, but even photos of my teenage self 10 or 20lbs lighter didn't look any different than now.

The body recomposition from weight lifting has a different effect than what I expected. I am growing large in some places and staying the same in others all while eating what seems like a lot of food. People on weight lifting forums, even those who are women or specialize in helping women insist it's not a lot. Anyway, they don't advise me eating any less. The only thing they do advise me is to do more of that high impact interval stuff. Maybe one of these days. I do sprints once a week, and that plus lifting is a bitch for me to recover from.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

I have a small frame so that weight on me looks a bit heavy. I will definitely add some strength training and heavy lifting when I'm back in my home state, but right now I really only have time to do the Zcut workout. I'm in the middle of moving states and sending my husband off on a short deployment and in about two weeks I can start going back to the gym. I really did miss heavy lifting.

As far as calories go, I thought I was eating plenty of food. I'm literally stuffed all day, but that may be that I've been eating too much fat. Before PB I was eating about 1000 calories a day so I've had to move up slowly to avoid feeling sick from being too full.

I am doing Zcut because I've seen quite a few people get really great results from it, it seems like they tone up pretty quickly, and Zuzana (the host) does these types of workouts 5x a week and looks amazing. However, she probably has her nutrition dialed in perfectly and that is probably where I'm going wrong.

Thanks everyone!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    At 1300 cal and 60/20/20, you're eating 87 grams of fat, and 65 grams each of protein and carbs. Since your body has adipose tissue to use for fuel, maybe you could get a little more protein and a little less fat? I'm not advising CW low fat, just a small tweek. Remember that for every 1 gram of fat you decrease (9 cal), you can increase your protein grams by 2.25 (4 cal/gm) and stay within the 1300 calories.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

Yes I agree about lowering fat and increasing protein. I think that makes more sense for me during the last 10 pounds.

Would daily 16 hour fasts be the wrong thing to do at this point? I did well skipping breakfast and eating in an 8 hour window and thought I might go back to that. Maybe I should wait until I'm at a better maintenance weight?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast