Thread: Counting carbs, not calories? page

the_walrus0 is offline Member

Counting carbs, not calories?

I've been doing some more digging around the site and through the Primal Blueprint book and I've been seeing the different levels of carbs suggested for people.

I haven't been counting calories, or carbs for that matter, and I intended to not be counting as I'm working on my BED and avoiding sugar(which is going well, btw) but I wonder if watching my carb intake could assist with those issues in the long run?

Do any of you just count carbs, or started out counting carbs, to keep your weight loss steady or maintain?

I'm not looking for a quick fix to my binge eating problems, but I know that when I eat a certain way I feel way better. I want to be sure I'm doing what I can to get my cravings under control.

grace2985 is offline Junior Member
    I count my carbs, not calories. By eating primal foods I dont overeat, so I have no need to count calories.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I don't turn it into a science, but my focus is on limiting carbs, not calories. I find that limiting carbs either automatically reduces my calories or my metabolism is working really well on protein/fat. Not sure which, but I'm losing weight and I eat when I want and as much as I want. I just don't eat many carbs.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    People here often talk about their nutrition numbers and basically I had no idea what most of them meant. So I used paleotrack.com (it looked like the easiest one) for 2 weeks and learned more about what I was eating. Now I only use it once in a while.

I lost 14 lbs the first 2 weeks on primal, and have gained back 4 since. So my total calories are too high and I'll cut back a bit, probably in fats.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I don't count anything. That said, when you cut out bread/wheat and other grasses you will be dramatically lowering your carb intake inadvertently.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I started out not counting a thing, and lost a bit of weight, but felt amazing. I am now really wanting to get down another 20 kg or so, and too high fat isn't working for me, so I am within a window at the moment where I am counting calories, carbs, fat and protein. I'm working out through trial and error what is not working for me, and what is. I found that I was also getting insanely grumpy on very low carbs, so have upped that to about 3 cups of green veges per day. This has made a huge difference to my overall demeaner. However if I overdo the carbs - I seem to reach for more and more carby food during the course of a day.
    You will find what works for you - good luck
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....