Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Primal while nursing page

PoisonApple is offline Senior Member

Going Primal while nursing

Shop Now
    UPDATE: I know I made an update at the end saying how awesome it has been to breastfeed my little boy. However we had to make a doctors appointment a few days ago because he was crying a lot and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Turns out he had lost an ENTIRE POUND in 1 week. I can't imagine losing 10% of my body weight in a week, and I feel terrible about it. I'm trying not to beat myself up about it since I'm learning how to be a mom. Once we got home from the doctor he ate an outrageous amount of formula which made me feel even worse. The doctor said he was literally burning more calories trying to drink than he was taking in which created a negative deficit. I really thought my body was responding like it should. The doctor made me feel like a shitty mother for starving him, and so many others have made me feel like a shitty mother for giving him formula. This has me very stressed out so I've decided to stop nursing altogether. I'm on day 2 and it really sucks but I think it would be best for us both. Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice, and I'm grateful I listened to it, because now I truly know I cant do it anymore and I know I tried my hardest. You guys are awesome

Hey everyone!

I couldn't find much information about going primal while nursing/lactating. I have a 7 week old baby here (first time mother). I have barely any milk supply. It was lacking since beginning... I would nurse my little one for 2 hours and he would still be hungry and it was just too exhausting so I started pumping. I was probably 60/40 off the primal wagon until last week. Today I'm on Day 5 of strict primal eating and unfortunately my already low milk supply has became lower. Last week I was able to pump about 13oz a day (with fenugreek supplements) and today and yesterday it is about 4-7oz. (baby needs about 30oz a day, we supplement with formula)

Does any have any experience with primal eating and nursing? How to increase supply? do things balance out? Any suggestions at all would be great... even if their something you heard from your cousins friends great grandma, I'm open to researching it.

Also, I'm glad we're not living in hunter gather times, my baby boy would need some from another mother. I feel so inadequate sometimes when it comes to taking care of him naturally.
    Last edited by PoisonApple; 02-23-2013 at 09:50 AM. Reason: update
    Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    I will be honest, just eat real food and as much as you can shove in. I was not primal, but tried to eat real food when nursing. If I cut back at all though, my supply plummeted. I found good luck with eating a big bowl of oatmeal, get just the plan oats and add butter. If you are exercising at all, make sure you are eating even more. Let the baby nurse as much as you can stand, it will help. Keep well hydrated, always have a water bottle with you while nursing. If you are feeling stressed or uptight, have a small glass of wine. This sounds crazy, but pumping in the middle if the night might yield your best results. I was a working/nursing mom, and my middle of the night pump kept me from having to supplement while I was at work. That being said, there is nothing wrong with supplementing, I just avoided it by doing the 12am pump.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

I am pumping around the clock. Every 2 hours during the day and about every 3 hours at night. Usually 8-10 times a day. I have a good double electric pump too which helps, but in the beginning I had a manual single pump and it took FOREVER and I hated doing it, which didn't help my supply any. I thought if I pump 8-10x a day my supply will gradually increase, but so far no luck. I'll try some oatmeal, I do have wine sometimes.. and I am working on drinking enough water. I just never thought that eating better would throw me out of whack and decrease supply.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    If you were eating a lot of bread, giving it up might hurt supply as I understand it can help supply. The oats should help fix that too. You might want to consider taking brewers yeast, if I remember correctly it is in some if the vitamin b supplements.

I am an avid believer in nursing, however, don't let formula vs. mothers milk be a detriment to your relationship with your infant or your SO. I know it can become all consuming, it may just be one of those things you need to let go of in order to enjoy the good parts of your life. I was fortunate everyone was against me nursing, so my motivation to piss my mom and mother in law off kept me nursing well past the national average. However, if I had to pump every two hours, I might have let myself off the hook. Just keep everything in perspective.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Thanks Jenn, everyone is against me too! The day of delivery my SO started saying since nursing hurts so much, to just give him formula. I've already nursed through 3 cases of mastitis, 1 was pretty severe. I really want to keep going and I will definitely continue to pump until I have nothing left.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    My wife struggled with milk supply for our first baby. We switched to using butter (pre-primal at the time) and her milk production shot up. That and maybe calories in general. Are you eating enough?

That and it's possible you are exhausted, which will affect your milk supply. I won't say 'are you getting enough sleep' since that's basically impossible with a newborn in the house, but it's definitely something you want to maximise as much as you can.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Juliemama is offline Senior Member
    Oh jeez, my long winded reply got deleted! sigh..Congrats on your new baby!..I have a 12 wk old that I am exclusively breastfeeding at the moment, 3rd baby. Fat guy doubled his weight in 8 wks, was over 15 lbs. . .I have him sleeping with me for these first months, like my girls did, too. Makes night time nursing a breeze, and eliminates the crying/zombie mommy thing. Everyone gets more rest, which is important for supply! Let him suckle all night if he wants, you will wake up thirsty, and your supply will respond. Eat nutritious foods and drink fluids, but the most important thing is to put the baby to the breast. Remember that you are a human, and our bodies don't always respond to a pump...the amount you can pump is in no way indicative of how much milk you "have". I hate pumping and can only get a few ounces, but I know my baby gets plenty! In order to increase your supply, you would need to be willing to drop some formula feedings and just let baby nurse. It IS a big time commitment, but it does get easier, its not as simple as popping a supplement and seeing results! Sorry this is all over the place, this is the second time I've tried to post a response and I am nursing at the moment and making/serving dinner! I will try to be more coherent later! Take the baby to bed for a weekend, and nurse, nap, eat and drink fluids. And forget about an eating schedule for baby.

Self experimentation has revealed that for me, oatmeal increased supply and my waistline. Baby spent a day or two nursing very frequently after I dropped the oats. I ate a lot more carbs while I was preg and nursing, I just WANTED them. I have potatoes (sweet or not) squashes or rice with just about every meal.

3 cases of mastitis in 7 weeks is pretty brutal physically, with pumping round the clock, girl you must be exhausted! Rest! Did they put you on antibiotics for the mastitis? Just thinking out loud...

I chose not to take antibiotics. I do nurse him a breast in the morning and we usually fall asleep together, sometimes before bed too. For mastitis I drank Rosemary tea, used a hot pack, nursed for HOURS, got a good 8 hour stretch of sleep... oatmeal tastes like wood chips but I'll try it. I try to drink a glass of water in between pumps (every 2 hours). I will try to put him on the breast more and then maybe finish him off with formula if he needs it. The supplements can usually help me make another 2-3oz a day. Juliemama congrats on your baby too!

So... How long should I nurse him before I finish off with formula? 15 minutes each side? 30?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast