Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going Primal while nursing page 3

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonApple View Post
    I am getting more efficient with putting him in the moby wrap, maybe I'll try it for BF too.
    PA remember when he is in the wrap to keep your back straight. It is so easy to stoop when you are carrying that weight forward. I never used a wrap, I used a front pack, but the wrap looks way more comfortable for both Mum and Baby. You must also remember that some babies are naturally hungrier than others, and when tiny, they have growth spurts often. You will get through this time - I hope that you are able to take the time to enjoy him.
    G x
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

thewildirishgirl is offline Junior Member
    My first baby nursed constantly, and I mean CONSTANTLY until six months. And my second would go through some intense growth spurts that would leave me completely starving and exhausted. That whole "nurse every two hours" crap is just some myth some horrible person made up to mess with us mamas. Newborns nurse all the time, whenever they want to--it's nuts! Hang in there and keep nursing that bebeh!! With my first, I had to go on an intense allergy elimination diet, and I ate tons of avocado, bacon, and, yes, potatoes and rice. I know it seems like you're just a milk machine, but you'll be amazed at how quickly this will pass. My little man is now 17 months and only nurses 3 x a day for a few minutes now. And babies will seem insatiable when they're going through growth spurts. If you're having concerns about your supply, it's best to meet with an IBCLC, get your baby weighed, all that stuff. Supplementing can really exacerbate supply issues. Good luck!

Juliemama is offline Senior Member
    Ok, big kids off to school, little man taking a nap. Whew.
    Between the 3 bouts of Mastitis and trying to go "strict" Primal (which I am assuming you are going too low on carbs), and baby having a growth spurt...the other thing is that you must remember that the only way to have a good supply is to "feed on demand". We all think babies belong on a schedule, but if you think about it, for millions? of years babies were worn by the mama and slept with the mama. They could nurse whenever they wanted. Sometimes my guy surprises me and sleeps longer and I wake up engorged and have to pump, and sometimes it seems like he is on the boob ALL night and I feel empty in the morning. I have learned to just go with it. Sometimes he can drain a breast in 6 minutes, sometimes he takes 20. It will all go by in a flash, trust me! If he is gaining well and has wet and poopy diapers, dont worry about topping him off with formula, unless that eases your mind that he's getting "enough"
    In just a few months, he will be eating solids and drinking out of a sippy cup!
    I thought about it last night, but I think 7 wks might be too old for a SNS? supplementary nursing system (I'm not sure I have that right) where there is a bag of formula or breastmilk taped to the mom, with a thin tube alongside the breast to the nipple. This way the babe stimulates the breast by nursing, but receives nourishment at the same time. I'm pretty sure that is reserved for more drastic situations.
    Do what you have to do to keep your sanity. Some breastmilk is better than none. It's not your fault that we have been culturally conditioned to expect unnatural behavior from newborn babies and new mamas. In my opinion, new mamas and babies should be left together to rest and get to know each other while other women of the tribe move in and take care of the household duties. Good luck!

PoisonApple is offline Senior Member
    Well we tried BF throughout the night. I nursed him for an hour and he was still hungry and ate an ounce of formula around 10pm. He didn't get to sleep till around midnight. Woke up at 430am and nursed him another hour. He seemed full and sleepy so I moved him to our side-car co sleeper. But he woke up an hour later and was starving. I tried to nurse him again but he wasn't getting anything and it was frustrating for him. SO gave him some formula, not sure how much... and he's been asleep since. Its 1030am here and because I last nursed him at 5am, I am engorged. I guess I'm going to pump until he wakes up!

I think I'm going to nurse him for an hour from now on whenever he is hungry and if he's still starving maybe give him an ounce or two of formula... and hopefully that will gradually become NO formula, because that stuff is freaking expensive. I've got to drink more water. and I may be too low carb. I am still eating rice and potatoes because I think I would totally crash without them.
    Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    The best breastfeeding advice on the internet is on http://kellymom.com/

Look for information on re-lactation.

Advice from my OH - who is a BF peer supporter and militant breastfeeder follows:-

Get the baby on the boob, loads of skin to skin, let the baby nurse as often as possible as long as possible even if it seems like he is dry nursing, every time the baby takes anything from a bottle it means less stimulation for your milk supply (the pump cannot do the job of a baby). Every feed he takes from you stimulates your milk supply.

Suppliment that are supposed to increase supply are Fennel, fenugreek, and milk thistle (kelly mom with have info on this too)

Have you investigated the possibility of tounge tie (both of ours had it) that might be affecting latch. A difficult birth can squash the head and your baby may need cranal osteothrapy to re-aligh the head bones so your baby can open up wide (number one baby of ours went for this)

Can you find a Qualified Lacatation consultant - IBLCE in the Americas | International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners is the top qualification - but won't come free. Other options are Le Lecha Legue - get to a group if there is one near you and ring the Hot-line LLLUSA Hotline number page LLL in the USA - Breastfeeding Helpline
    TO make sure your latch is going right Dr Jack Newman Assymetric latch is really good for making sure the baby is positioned properly and gets a really good mouthfull of the right part of the boob.

My mrs used to watch this while feeding and do it along with him

If it Hurts something is wrong, Mrs has said the best bit of advice she had was 'every time you latch the baby make sure it is the best latch you have ever had, take the baby off and repostion it if you need to, baby probably won't like it much, but in the long run it is the best thing to do.

Don't be fobbed off if you think there is a problem - keep asking for help and keep bugging people till it is solved (this happend with my mrs fist child before we met and she expressed for 6 months as she failed to get a good latch due to bad advice, so now she is on a bit of a mission )

Advice from Me personal - tell your other half that his job from now on it to get you everything you need 24 hours a day untill you have this sorted or I'll come round and sort him out (ok so I won't coz I don't have a passport, but the best father he can be now is the one who enables you to feed and respects your choice)

All the best Rob (with help from the good woman )
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonApple View Post
    Well we tried BF throughout the night. I nursed him for an hour and he was still hungry and ate an ounce of formula around 10pm. He didn't get to sleep till around midnight. Woke up at 430am and nursed him another hour. He seemed full and sleepy so I moved him to our side-car co sleeper. But he woke up an hour later and was starving. I tried to nurse him again but he wasn't getting anything and it was frustrating for him. SO gave him some formula, not sure how much... and he's been asleep since. Its 1030am here and because I last nursed him at 5am, I am engorged. I guess I'm going to pump until he wakes up!

I think I'm going to nurse him for an hour from now on whenever he is hungry and if he's still starving maybe give him an ounce or two of formula... and hopefully that will gradually become NO formula, because that stuff is freaking expensive. I've got to drink more water. and I may be too low carb. I am still eating rice and potatoes because I think I would totally crash without them.
    If you are engorged - pick him up and stick him on the boob - he'll likely sleep through the feed. Once you've cracked feeding laying down you can feed him all night and he may even latch himself - ours is just to damn lazy and just expects to be moved.

Lots of babies cluster feed (loads of feeds one after the other) often in the evening, but can be at any time, the best thing to do is keep breastfeeding them, you'll get a numb arse and you'll need someone to bring you food and drink (or crack sling feeding), a lot of people think you should feed the baby and then they will go a certain amount of time between feeds, this is just horse poop, sometimes it will be 10 mins, sometime hours, try not to worry how many feeds he's had, just get a boob in his mouth whenever either of you need it

All the best
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Can I ask why you think he is hungry after feeding for an hour?
    Crying? It also may be he isn't hungry, but has something else wrong, wind? Or even something like a sore neck from the birth process. Would you see a chiropracter? It is very gentle adjustments for babies. I took my youngest around 6 weeks, as he did a bit of crying at one stage, and his neck and pelvis was out, after that he was much happier.

PoisonApple is offline Senior Member
    well I saw this video "5 words babies use" and his hunger cries are pretty distinct. Also like I said, after nursing for an hour I offer the bottle and he will drink it down like he's starving As for the chiropractor... I'm a PTA and I've checked his spine and neck alignment, haven't checked his hips or pelvis really but I will today. I wish I would have just listened to my body to begin with instead of everyone else saying he needs to eat every 2 hours, he needs this and that and a schedule and blah blah blah.
    Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

Aw sorry you were given such crap advice.
    That is really strange, about the bottle. But also remember its much easier to get milk out of a bottle for them over the breast, and he could end up preferring it. Just a heads up on that. What happens after an hour on your breast? Does he stop feeding? What about giving him a 5 min break, up right over your should in case of wind (solely breastfed babies don't often get it, but bottle feeding the air can get in there), then put him back on? Its all about supply and demand with breastmilk.

Whats a PTA? Sorry I haven't heard that abbreviation.

And have you had his latch checked? Does it hurt while feeding? Because another issue could be that he isn't getting quite as much from not being attached properly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast