Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going Primal while nursing page 2

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Doesn't nursing take nearly an hour each time? That's what my fading memories are telling me...
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Poison apple - congrats on the new born. And please - you are doing an amazing job.............. keep at it, drink lots of water and EAT !!!!!!! I have had 5 premmies, and using a breast pump was the norm. I expressed for over 5 weeks exclusively with our last little one, and then went onto breast feed for a year. ( I did find it helpfull only feeding on one side per feed) If you really want to breastfeed just get that wee poppet onto the breast, and suckle as frequently as he wants. The stresses of a newborn are huge, so you must just go with it. If it means putting a sign on your door saying - "sorry no visitors today" - just do it. Take the phone off the hook and chillax for a few days. Your supply will pick up.
    Keep us posted on your progress
    All the best
    G x
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

PoisonApple is offline Senior Member
    I could do 30 min each side. The only problem with letting him nurse when he wants is that he pretty much wants to suck on something ALL the time. Some days I have no problem being a human pascifier, but other times I just need to get something done around the house.
    Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried wearing him with a sling? Then he can just nurse at will. Also, you don't really need to do anything around the house. You need to be able to pee and poop, preferably alone, otherwise your job is to feed and care for baby. SO can go to hell if necessary. If he will nurse, let him nurse, it won't be that way for long. Baby will figure out quickly how to be more efficient at the breast. If after an hour of nursing, he is still frantic feed him an oz. As long as he is gaining, he is getting enough. If growing comes into question, then rethink things. When I spoke earlier, I went on the assumption you were nursing non-stop to an unsatisfied baby. Sounds like you just need to rest and recover with baby at breast. Be patient, sleep when he is sleeping.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Fed on demand too, the more he feeds the more you will make.
    I know you said you were pumping, but that is never as efficient as a baby, as it cannot 100% replicate their action.
    Fenugreek is a supplement for increasing milk supply.

There should be no need to supplement formula, just keeping putting him on the breast, and stay on each side for say 2-3 feeds, so you know he is getting the hind milk as well. Even if he wants to feed every 5 mins (so it seems) let him Lots of skin on skin, and drink lots of water for you. And make sure you are eating enough good primal food.

Oh why do you think your supply is low?
    Due to how much you are pumping? Truly that is no real indication at all. Some mothers have plenty of milk, and can pump nothing.

If he is getting plenty of wet and dirty nappies and seems happy, then just keep feeding.

Oh and I promise it is normal for them to feed for so long at a time when that tiny. And I know its exhausting. Can you feed laying down? Take your baby to bed, and just lay down skin on skin and feed as much as he wants. You will be resting, and even better if you fall asleep with him.
    The feeds will get shorter. I truly wouldn't bother pumping anymore, just feed, feed, and feed some more. You will not over feed him. And honestly, read the ingredients on a can of formula, there are much better options if you truly do have a low supply but it doesn't seem you do to me honestly. There are recipes out there for homemade formula, without all the nasty stuff in it.

Quote Originally Posted by PoisonApple View Post
    I could do 30 min each side. The only problem with letting him nurse when he wants is that he pretty much wants to suck on something ALL the time. Some days I have no problem being a human pascifier, but other times I just need to get something done around the house.
    Truly I know house work seems important, but its really not. No need to time each side, but you really don't need to swap sides each feed. If he feeds only a short time on one side, he might only get the "lighter" fore milk, which can lead to frothy green poos, the richer hind milk comes after that, so if you stay on each side for even 2 feeds in a row before swapping you can be pretty sure he is getting all.

Sorry for all the posts, I keep thinking of things after I posted LOL

PoisonApple is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Ayla, I just nursed him for an hour and he was fine for about 10 minutes but started making hungry faces and eventually started hungry fussing. The formula is gross, I agree. He's put on about 3 pounds since birth. I'll keep trying.. and I'm SO glad I made this post!! I appreciate the good new ideas that I couldn't think of. <3 <3 <3 I really have to hand it to women who do it all the time, its seriously hard work. I am getting more efficient with putting him in the moby wrap, maybe I'll try it for BF too.
    Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Soon you will be doing it in your sleep

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast