Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm feeling rather stuck. page

ErinF is offline Senior Member

I'm feeling rather stuck.

Primal Fuel
    Yep, I'm stuck and need my fellow PB's to help me out of this rut =/ My weight loss has stalled at 135 which is in the higher range for my height of 5'3. I'd like to get down to 20% BF, but I seem to float around 25% (caliper tested at the gym).

I've been consistently doing Zuzana's Zcut workouts for 3 weeks and I have had zero change to my body fat, I'm measuring and weighing the same; although I've been feeling less winded during the workouts. Just for reference the Zcut workouts are usually 5 min warm-up and then 15-20 mins of bodyrock.tv style workouts. It's all body weight stuff like burpees, tuck jumps, lunges, etc. usually done in # of rounds for time.

I've been eating roughly 1300 calories at 60/20/20 f/p/c. I switched to HFLC 75/15/10 f/p/c for about two weeks and lost 3 lbs, but I gave up because my energy levels dropped even more and I wasn't recovering well from my workouts. I've been eating almost no processed food and have been staying away from sugar.

Any suggestions?

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    How long have you been stuck? How much did you lose prior to this rut? What kind of poundage would you need to lose to get to that bf %?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

I just did strict primal eating, but didn't count calories or macros. I started out at 170 and got down to 135 in 6 months, I've been at 135 for about a year now. I believe at 20% body fat I'd probably be sitting around 120 lbs.

I know most of the people on this forum hate this kind of question and the common response is to re-read the PB, but I'm really needing some help here. I completely understand that not everyone's experience is the same, but I'm hoping there is someone out there that has gone through something similar. Could my macros be way off?

I think I'll post this somewhere else, the nutrition forum may not be the best place.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    So you're looking to budge, what... the last 15 lbs?
    HFLC isn't really good for "the last few lbs" kind of loss.

Lower the fat, more protein, moderate carb.
    Just lots and lots of low and moderate carb veg so that you aren't hungry, and some fruit and maybe high carb veg like potatoes on those work out days for recovery.

And watch those calories. You haven't mentioned those yet.
    The last bit of weight is notorious for needing calorie tracking even of the first lot came off easily without tracking.
    Track what you are eating, lower it a bit, then some more, in maybe 100 cal increments until you start to see the scale move downward.
    Those calculators are vague at best... and can be way off.

Also, are you lifting heavy things?
    Do so.

Nutrition is absolutely the right place for this.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

I like the idea of higher carbs on workout days. I do track my calories and always eat about 1300, should I look at eating more? Protein is always where I have a hard time, I never know what really is a good amount. I have a really hard time eating over 75g on a consistent basis. What would be a good amount of fat to shoot for?

I was doing some heavy lifting and plan to start getting back into after my big out of state move. Right now I'm just focusing in hiit style workouts because its really all I have time for.
    Last edited by ErinF; 02-13-2013 at 06:14 PM.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    1300 Calories?? It seems like you work out a lot... and that is very very few Calories for someone as active as you.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

That may be true, but calories and counting is really all confusing to me. I wasn't sure how to determine my activity level when figuring out calories because my workouts really only last 25 min max 5 days a week. I'm not super active besides that, I just look after my two toddlers during the day.

According to bmi-calculator.net my BMR is 1406.4 and I need about 1900 to 2100 daily calories to maintain my current weight. After going through all of the #'s I can see that I am eating about 700 to 900 calories deficit for weight loss. I wonder if this is where my problem is, I'm not trying to lose a ton of weight, I'm trying to build muscle and lower my body fat %. Would you say a calorie deficit doesn't work for those last few pounds? I've never really figured out the best way to lower body fat % because up until PB I didn't care.
    Last edited by ErinF; 02-13-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I personally lost my last few eating higher carbs and protein, with lower fat, while doing cardio daily. Vanity pounds will be very hard to lose. I kept my calories low at ~1500.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    You may just be at a Plateau that takes some time to nudge through. Stick with the workouts and perhaps add in some longer cardio (shocking I know). For me, plateau busting is always aided by 45%F/35%P/20%C and some longer cardio (60-90mins) a few times a week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast