Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Ladies who lift page 9

katiepotato is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by unsuperb View Post
    I would say that straps and Fatgripz are used for entirely different purposes. Straps help for the overall strength (but not so much with your grip)/increased repetitions whereas the fatbar (Fatgripz) concept could help build your grip, theoretically, but is limiting depending on how big your hands are
    Interesting, thanks. I've always thought I had fairly large hands for a girl, but it sounds like I might be better off just sticking with the straps - or getting some chalk...

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    My trainer has mentioned getting gloves a couple of time as I'm getting some callouses. He says they'll help with grip too.

I'm not keen though - sounds a bit 'poncy' to me ...my callouses are like badges of honour and I don't really have a problem with grip at the moment although perhaps that will change when my weights get even heavier.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spuggygirl View Post
    my callouses are like badges of honour
    Amen. As much as my mother does not want me to be like a guy.

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by katiepotato View Post
    Interesting, thanks. I've always thought I had fairly large hands for a girl, but it sounds like I might be better off just sticking with the straps - or getting some chalk...
    Well, you could possibly benefit from the Fatgripz then (if you want to work on grip strength). I have larger hands, and was able to lift a fatbar without too much difficulties at the weights that I lift, whereas my SO has tiny hands, and even though she deadlifts 3x her bodyweight, she had a hell of a time gripping it at weights that she wouldn't even consider challenging. Chalk is definitely handy though.

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    Hook grip!
    +1

What a difference. When my grip fails its because I'm not using it. This might be in my head but when my thumb is "trapped" under my hand its as though I use the anterior muscles of my forearm less (and that is what fatigues on me for heavy stuff) because my thumb is just locked in there... does that make any sense?

I've never seen or read anything that suggests to NOT work on developing a good hook grip. Granted if you are small-handed and using a 45lb bar it might be tough. I use the 35lb bar because of my child-sized hands

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    I've never seen or read anything that suggests to NOT work on developing a good hook grip. Granted if you are small-handed and using a 45lb bar it might be tough. I use the 35lb bar because of my child-sized hands
    OH. That might help with me. I use 45lb bars only. And I can only barely reach an octave on the piano.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    My trainer has mentioned getting gloves a couple of time as I'm getting some callouses. He says they'll help with grip too.
    I'm surprised; my Crossfit gym has straight up banned them due to people flying off of pullup bars, kettlebells and barbells flying out of people's hands, etc. My experience with gloves is that the grip plummets. I hate them. I like to feel what I'm holding/lifting and develop my grip naturally.

Hook grip FTW. Best thing I've ever learned. Suddenly endless rounds of unbroken hang cleans are downright possible.

my callouses are like badges of honour
    I feel exactly the same way, only make sure you're sanding them down with a pumice or nail buffer or something, because otherwise the day will come when you'll rip, and there is almost nothing worse than a rip. Makes it impossible to do anything with bar, or even pushups, for days.

What I do is on the heaviest set I do the over/under grip, where one hand is reversed. But all the warm-ups I do the regular grip. That way I kind of build up the strength as I go. So far so good.
    This is perfect. You're either very intuitive, or you had a great teacher. Or both.
    Last edited by heatseeker; 02-21-2013 at 04:25 PM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I have yet to use chalk. I think I would freak out. I can't stand the feeling of chalk and would get the heebie-jeebies if it touched my fingernails.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Does anyone have a suggestion for me to my post on the previous page?

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Does anyone have a suggestion for me to my post on the previous page?
    i dont have any experience with either of those protocols so i cant say. i just go for it and do whatever but i do have a trainer. we mix it up and just go hard the whole time and i get results. maybe go easier to begin with and concentrate on correct form. hire a decent personal trainer if you can afford one. the emphasis is on decent so do your research. work out your goals and find one who appreciates that and has experience there. plus if you have a trainer, you will have motivation not to quit.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast