Thread: Ladies who lift page 8

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    Hook grip!
    Aw hell naw

(j/k...kind of)

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Do any of you ladies have problems with your grip strength as well? When I am deadlifting I could quite comfortably lift around 40kg or sometimes more but I have to stop after 3-4 reps because my grip starts to loosen. I tried one of those grip thingies but this does not work for me. I am now trying to strengthen my grip with a power ball but perhaps you know better ways of improving it?
    i find lunging big weights my grip goes before my legs do. the dumbbells with the diamond cross hatching on the grip are much better so i just push it as far as i can. i do over under on deads but alternate on each set so it is not the same hand over or under each time. other than that, just practise. you can also wear gloves.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    Hook grip!
    Bah. Chalk is safer

i will see if i can borrow any chalk when i am at the gym tomorrow and give it a go.

katiepotato is offline Member
    By "those grip thingies" do you mean Fatgripz or lifting straps?

I use DH's lifting straps for my heavy deadlift, currently at 75kgs - they don't remove the need to stop and re-set my grip after a couple of reps but they definitely help.

Haven't tried Fatgripz (or similar) but would be interested in feedback from anyone who has....

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    Wooppeeee I'm excited I found this thread.

I taught myself how to lift about 3 months ago, so I was in the same boat as some of you new girls! (and still am, I learn stuff all the time!)

I taught myself form off bodybuilding.com and by talking to my brothers and then when I was at the gym one day a trainer came over to me because I was showing a friend how to squat, and he said I had perfect form!! Best compliment I have received in years. So it is possible to teach yourselves! I messed around with no weight on the bar to learn for a few weeks. I still make slight adjustments to form every now and then. I started out high bar squatting and am now trying low bar.

As for grip on deadlifts.. I am constantly adjusting my grip between reps - maybe every 3 reps or so I release and regrip quickly. Tonight I did 95kg/198lb for 6 reps with quite a gap in the middle because one of my calluses ripped off, owie! I don't know what I'm going to do as the bar gets heavier... I hadn't thought that far ahead. Hmm
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

Quote Originally Posted by katiepotato View Post
    By "those grip thingies" do you mean Fatgripz or lifting straps?

I use DH's lifting straps for my heavy deadlift, currently at 75kgs - they don't remove the need to stop and re-set my grip after a couple of reps but they definitely help.

Haven't tried Fatgripz (or similar) but would be interested in feedback from anyone who has....
    I would say that straps and Fatgripz are used for entirely different purposes. Straps help for the overall strength (but not so much with your grip)/increased repetitions whereas the fatbar (Fatgripz) concept could help build your grip, theoretically, but is limiting depending on how big your hands are

Quote Originally Posted by nixxy View Post
    As for grip on deadlifts.. I am constantly adjusting my grip between reps - maybe every 3 reps or so I release and regrip quickly. Tonight I did 95kg/198lb for 6 reps with quite a gap in the middle because one of my calluses ripped off, owie! I don't know what I'm going to do as the bar gets heavier... I hadn't thought that far ahead. Hmm
    Shave and maintain those calluses, gurl!

just reporting back to say i tried chalk and it helps.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    I love chalk LOL, I used to practically drown in the stuff when I was doing CF.

I have been thinking about my own lifting, because I am so backwards from where I was at CF, should I go back and do something like New Rules of Lifting for Woman? Over SS? Since I have so much weight to lose still? I don't really want to go back to machines, but there are a few in the NR plan, but I guess I could substitute them for something with a barbell.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast