Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies who lift page 6

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    My new favorite butt exercise is the single leg deadlift with my 45# kettlebell. It's the best isolation I've found so far.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    The boys are going to be more worried what you will think of them.

The other day I was squatting in the rack next to this other guy who was also squatting. I had worked out next to him a few days before, too. The previous time he failed a squat and had to bail under the crash bars. He looked so embarrassed. I tried to pretend I didn't see. Then this time he failed again only I couldn't pretend I didn't see because I was sitting facing him. So I joked with him that that was going to be me on my next set, you just watch. Then I said he squats really well, lower than any other guy in they gym, most of them do these wussy half squats. I think I made him feel better. Then when I did fail my squats he helped me unload the bar.
    I find men in gyms so intimidating... they stare. Makes me terrified to go near the weights for fear I'll blush furiously and drop a barbell on someone's foot

So your story's consoling - thanks
    Last edited by YogaBare; 02-15-2013 at 12:06 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Ok YogaBare, I'm going to start lifting too.

I love my gym, but I have been guilty of fooling around with the machines and very light dumbells for too long. I am fascinated with the idea of Barbell lifting but have been too chicken to start it. Worried about what all the boys will think of me.

I plan on downloading "Starting Strength" today and getting started tonight.
    Amazing! Post your progress.

I'm going snowboarding next week but once I get back I think I'll fork out for a PT that can show me the ropes. There's a lot to take in and I don't have hours and hours to study up on it. I've started reading "Starting Strength" though, and it's very accessible.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I find men in gyms so intimidating... they stare. Makes me terrified to go near the weights for fear I'll blush furiously and drop a barbell on someone's foot.

So your story's consoling - thanks
    Just ignore them and put all of your focus/attention on what you are doing. After a couple of times you won't even notice them.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Just ignore them and put all of your focus/attention on what you are doing. After a couple of times you won't even notice them.
    I'm not too worried now - just needed to look at it from the other perspective People generally aren't douches after all. Thanks though

- Ray Peat

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I find men in gyms so intimidating... they stare. Makes me terrified to go near the weights for fear I'll blush furiously and drop a barbell on someone's foot.
    I actually really enjoy being in the weights section. The "morning crew" of guys (and a few women) are all really cool; most older than me, and have introduced themselves over the last few months. We know each other by name... it kind of keeps me accountable to not slack off!

andyTHFC is offline Member
    I think its great that you ladies are wanting to lift heavy. Major props to you! There are some great women bloggers out there who give out a ton of great info about it, so I figure I'd share.

Girls Gone Strong

Molly Galbraith

Nia Shanks

Jen Sinkler

Kelli Davis

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think they guys feel they have free reign to stare at women in the aerobics section or pretty much anywhere but over in the free weights section. Over there, they know you are serious.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

andyTHFC is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think they guys feel they have free reign to stare at women in the aerobics section or pretty much anywhere but over in the free weights section. Over there, they know you are serious.
    Oh, I would still stare at women in the free weights area....in the most non-creepy way, of course

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by andyTHFC View Post
    Oh, I would still stare at women in the free weights area....in the most non-creepy way, of course
    Is that why you had such a good repertoire of female blogs up your sleeve?

Thanks for sharing Andy - some good stuff there! Added to the reading list...

- Ray Peat

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast