Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies who lift page 5

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    If I can get that off a resistance machine I can only imagine how addictive lifting proper might be...
    It really is.
    Step away from that machine

katiepotato is offline Member
    Light weight, high reps = endurance workout. Agree that Pump is not the way to go for strength building, but it is a good way to pick up some of the moves, and walking into a mixed class (gender and ability) is less scary than the free weights section for a newbie! I am still one of the only girls who uses free weights in my gym, and probably the only one lifting heavy.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Small update: I used the resistance machines today and seriously (I know this makes me a total pleb) - I loved the leg press! It gave me such a rush of testosterone - woah!
    try doing the leg press with one leg.

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    Heavier weight with lower weights - this really helps to build strength and don't be afraid that you will "bulk up". That is very hard for women to do without a LOT of work. Light weights won't build strength, though nothing wrong with endurance work. I have learned this from experience. While I am in shoulder rehab I can't lift higher than a clean, I am STILL gaining strength from lifting heavy. Yayyy for deadlifts, hang cleans, kettlebell swings, front squats and leg presses

Really though, right now you need to focus on learning proper form so you can perform the exercises properly and decrease your chance of injury.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    FYI: I found an online download for a PDF of "Starting Strength", 2nd ed. If anyone needs it you can PM me*

*am I allowed to say that?!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Machines are addictive, that's one reason to avoid them. That's said, better a leg press on a machine than a squat with a bad form.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    If the trainers at the gym suck, see if you can hire one that is not associated with the gym you belong to. Then buy day passes for your sessions to whatever gym that PT uses.

Hey man, we all squat the empty bar. ALWAYS squat the empty bar. That's what Rippetoe says.

Oh, and I thought deadlifts looked simple. No crazy getting yourself into some contorted squat position. Nothing is moving or being balanced at the beginning. You're not going to fall over. Just pick it up. I had no idea it took so many muscles to pick something up.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Ok YogaBare, I'm going to start lifting too.

I love my gym, but I have been guilty of fooling around with the machines and very light dumbells for too long. I am fascinated with the idea of Barbell lifting but have been too chicken to start it. Worried about what all the boys will think of me.

I plan on downloading "Starting Strength" today and getting started tonight.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    The boys are going to be more worried what you will think of them.

The other day I was squatting in the rack next to this other guy who was also squatting. I had worked out next to him a few days before, too. The previous time he failed a squat and had to bail under the crash bars. He looked so embarrassed. I tried to pretend I didn't see. Then this time he failed again only I couldn't pretend I didn't see because I was sitting facing him. So I joked with him that that was going to be me on my next set, you just watch. Then I said he squats really well, lower than any other guy in they gym, most of them do these wussy half squats. I think I made him feel better. Then when I did fail my squats he helped me unload the bar.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

kml
    kml is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I started lifting recently too and I would strongly advise to start with a PT, and even stick with it for a few sessions. I was squatting 70kg yesterday, my new PB, and it really helped that my PT was there to act as my spotter. Not only for that but he also pointed out that I should correct the positioning of my arms as I otherwise would have bent forward. Also I am more comfortable in stacking up more weights as I would probably not dare to lift that much without a spotter.
    As many other girls here mentioned before there are rarely other girls around that lift nevermind the heavy weights. I would love to find a girl that I could train with so that we could assist eachother.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast