Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Ladies who lift page 11

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    For me personally, lifting does not make me lose weight. It makes me lose fat/gain muscle (recomp), but the scale doesn't budge. And when I'm not cutting calories, the fat stays put and I just put on tons of muscle, which actually makes me bigger. So I think you have to figure out your priorities before you start lifting. If your priority is getting stronger, lift, and eat for muscle growth. If your priority is getting leaner, lift, but eat at a slight deficit (mine is only about 200 calories; you have to make sure you're eating enough for recovery), and make peace with the fact that you won't be making very fast strength gains.

At least, this is what I've found to be true for me.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    My new favorite butt exercise is the single leg deadlift with my 45# kettlebell. It's the best isolation I've found so far.
    I'll have to google that one! My current absolute fav is the glute bridge. Love.
    How to get a Firm Booty - Glute Bridge Training Session | myomytv.com | Free Fitness Blog

Kool is offline Senior Member
    Form form form!
    I used to do crappy powercleans over the summer, and I messed up my wrist which messed up my tennis season

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    My new favorite butt exercise is the single leg deadlift with my 45# kettlebell. It's the best isolation I've found so far.
    I started doing straight-legged dead lifts on a platform, hardly any weight but full stretch. I'll have to put a video on youtube. It is insane. I can feel my glutes growing.

goneprimal is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    That's not what I read here. Starting Strength: Article
    Great article, written by an MD/Research Scientist.

For those wanting to lift and lose weight: Muscle tissue is metabolically active. Lifting weights positively affects your hormones, which drive weight loss.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goneprimal View Post
    Great article, written by an MD/Research Scientist.

For those wanting to lift and lose weight: Muscle tissue is metabolically active. Lifting weights positively affects your hormones, which drive weight loss.
    So why do some of us gain or not lose when lifting? Whenever I am sore the scales do not go down.
    I know its due to holding on to fluid while the muscles are trying to repair. This was true for me also while doing crossfit and primal for 5 months. This time the scales never moved at all, but measurements did go down all over. When would the scales have started to move down? I was still over 30 kg over weight at this time.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    One of these days I am going to weigh myself and take another bikini picture. I have a suspicion that I've probably gained 10lbs since my last bikini picture but the distribution of weight on my body is much better and I have some muscle definition now. If I weighed 200lbs instead of 135 and look like I do now I would be pleased as punch because the scale doesn't matter to me at all. What really makes a difference is that my upper arms are less flappy, my stomach is less flabby, my back is less squishy, my legs are firmer, my butt has a better shape and I feel great.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    One of these days I am going to weigh myself and take another bikini picture. I have a suspicion that I've probably gained 10lbs since my last bikini picture but the distribution of weight on my body is much better and I have some muscle definition now. If I weighed 200lbs instead of 135 and look like I do now I would be pleased as punch because the scale doesn't matter to me at all. What really makes a difference is that my upper arms are less flappy, my stomach is less flabby, my back is less squishy, my legs are firmer, my butt has a better shape and I feel great.
    I wish you would! I have the same body shape as you and I look at your photo all the time for inspiration

diene is offline Senior Member
    One suggestion that isn't as cool as Starting Strength (seriously, I bought the 3rd edition b/c everyone on here keeps talking about it, but I haven't been able to force myself to read it) is Rachel Cosgrove's Female Body Breakthrough. I think it's great for beginners. I've pretty much graduated from it, but, seeing as I can't force myself to read Starting Strength (it likely won't help me much anyway--I have trouble translating words and pictures into actual physical movement), I'm going the CrossFit route.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    This time the scales never moved at all, but measurements did go down all over. When would the scales have started to move down?
    that url you posted on the other thread A about whooshes makes a lot of sense. typically in the past, i will lose some weight. then i will sort of plateau, then it will suddenly drop off. usually when i have stopped bothering to weigh myself on the gym scales every time i go. no idea how many weeks in as i cant remember. i also think the whoosh thing works in reverse as i injured my ankle 3 years ago. sat on my ass eating cake and beer and feeling sorry for myself. put on 6kgs in 6 weeks which i then ran off in a week when i was better. and by ran off i mean on a treadmill, 40 mins hill program a day and no starvation.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011