Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Ladies who lift page 10

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Just googled hook grip. I may have to give this a try as I increase the weight on deadlifts (just getting into these finally with decent form, just up to 125 lbs as of yesterday, though I know I'm capable of more). I was planning on buying gloves, more as a means of callous prevention, as I'd really prefer not to go there, yet it's starting already.

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I have yet to use chalk. I think I would freak out. I can't stand the feeling of chalk and would get the heebie-jeebies if it touched my fingernails.
    It's fluffy, though?

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I totally get the aversion to chalk. It's sort of squeaky and dry. If I get too much of it on my hands and then grip the bar, I get the shudders and have to clap some of it off (which is an obnoxious thing to do, so I generally go real light on the chalk and increase if I need to).

Unless you have naturally sweaty hands, though, you shouldn't really need chalk unless you're doing high reps. The only time I use it is if I've got long sets, or a complex where I'm not allowed to put the bar down. Or lots of pullups. But chalk is otherwise just not really necessary (though it feels badass to chalk up like a gymnast, I know). Also, if you're not taking care to cut and file your callouses, chalk + callouses = a 1-way ticket to Rip Town. Owie.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Does anyone have a suggestion for me to my post on the previous page?
    If you have no problem with mobility, then I would totally suggest lifting weights. Heck, I would even recommend starting even without proper mobility, by first working on it before lifting for real.

john101 is offline Banned
    All of you post your suggestions here. I am totally agree with you all. Actually i decide to start lifting and i want to know some basic steps about lifting and some useful tips. I would like thanks to you that you share your great experiences and views here.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    I love chalk LOL, I used to practically drown in the stuff when I was doing CF.

I have been thinking about my own lifting, because I am so backwards from where I was at CF, should I go back and do something like New Rules of Lifting for Woman? Over SS? Since I have so much weight to lose still? I don't really want to go back to machines, but there are a few in the NR plan, but I guess I could substitute them for something with a barbell.
    Is this the question?

I think you could do either the NRLW or SS. Which ever appeals to you more. I do SS because there are only a few things I need to know how to do. Well, I do SS without the power cleans since I couldn't figure them out.

As far as still needing to lose weight, I don't think lifting weights helps weight loss. But it is a fountain of youth. You are forcing your body to create new cells and hormones including growth hormones. You can't be dying if you are growing, right? Some people can increase strength and lose weight at the same time, though, especially if they are fairly overweight to begin with.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

As far as still needing to lose weight, I don't think lifting weights helps weight loss. But it is a fountain of youth. You are forcing your body to create new cells and hormones including growth hormones. You can't be dying if you are growing, right? Some people can increase strength and lose weight at the same time, though, especially if they are fairly overweight to begin with.
    Erm, no. I don't think growth hormones makes you younger; on the contrary, acceleration of the deterioration of cells and creation of new ones accelerates aging.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    That's not what I read here. Starting Strength: Article
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Is this the question?

I think you could do either the NRLW or SS. Which ever appeals to you more. I do SS because there are only a few things I need to know how to do. Well, I do SS without the power cleans since I couldn't figure them out.

Yeah this is what I am concerned with. I have read mixed opinions on this. And I do notice if I do a heavy lifting session the scales go up about 2 kg and stay that way for about a week.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm pretty sure growth hormone ages you faster.

I think what the article outlines is that if you have crappy health, then you will benefit from any type of exercise due to its ability to help you overcome the health issue. Example: muscle atrophy, with weight lifting as a preventative measure. It definitely improves quality of life, hence extending your life via muscle maintenance, but it does age you faster in general. I think if you are reasonably active, there is no need to do hardcore strength training in order to reach longevity with good health.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast