Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stevia page 2

chetnvok is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    You could use xylitol, cup for cup instead of sugar if you need it for volume in the recipe. i think so,thanks

newlife77 is offline Member
    Hiya, I've used Xylitol in baking before but have just bought some Coconut Palm Sugar from Goodness Direct (in the UK). I bought it cos its apparently low GI (35?) and has a similar caramel taste as dark brown sugar - also caramelises like sugar when cooked so better for biscuits apparently.

I'm only just starting Primal again after a really hard time in life where I fell off the wagon. I haven't the strength to go cold turkey so am going gradual. I would hope longer term I feel less need for sweet 'primal' treats but for now they're helping with a gentle transgression!

H x
    An English girl who's been on lots of different diets, weight gone up and down but always been a naturalist at heart and have always wondered why "Conventional Wisdom" diets don't allow you to eat red meat and nuts - that are purely natural things?! So feel I've found my niche in the PB/Paleo Lifestyle and really want to make this my way of life for good!!!

Browndog1986 is offline Junior Member
    Hey thanks everyone for the replies some time next week al buy some stevia and try it out. When buying the book i dint realise there would be putting another form of sugar in otherwise i prob wouldn't have bought it but now i have it i may as well give a go.

xntrik is offline Member
    On the rare occasions that I make an almond flour crust pumpkin pie, I use a tablespoon of pure maple syrup and then kick up the sweetness with a little purified stevia extract (the white powder with no bulking agents to make it spoonable). I find that stevia alone just doesn't taste right, but used with a small amount of real sugar, it's fine.

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    The xylitol from corn may be more irritating to the gut than the xylitol from the birch tree. Also, try to use less Xylitol than the 1:1 sugar ratio.

It may also be a good idea to blend the Xylitol crystals into a more finer powder.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Each to their own, I know Mark uses an artificial sweetener sometimes as well,
    Stevia seems to be fine, haven't found a negative report on it,
    but for me, I have a philosophical issue, we didn't evolve to eat it, our body get's the taste and prepares for Sugar, then nothing, zippo, just some tangy dust, I don't really like the taste anyway.

If you need the sugar, use it or Honey, Maple syrup etc., I don't see the problem, it's all in your intake, just make sure you burn it off.

If for some reason you can't eat those quantities of sugar, then I reckon you shouldn't go there anyway.

Rig D is offline Senior Member
    Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    Don't think stevia is a good replacement in baking, primarily due to bulk, or rather the lack of bulk with stevia. I'm not a baker, so don't have a good alternative to offer. But I do like stevia and use it for sweetening things all the time when they need to be sweetened - but only after cooking, when they are ready to consume.

Find your 100% pure stevia at the health foods store. Small jar, big price. On the other hand, you use very little so cost per serving is ok. Most come with a "scoop" that is a serving size, it is ridiculously small. I made the mistake early of adding a normal spoon of stevia in a cup of coffee, I couldn't drink it, it was so sweet it was bitter! We use stevia for most sweetening projects, that little bottle still has a lot in it and we've had it a long time.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    but for me, I have a philosophical issue, we didn't evolve to eat it, our body get's the taste and prepares for Sugar, then nothing, zippo, just some tangy dust, I don't really like the taste anyway.

If you need the sugar, use it or Honey, Maple syrup etc.,
    Sure we did, its a plant thats been used for thousands of years, admittedly what you usually buy now has been processed.. but its not artificial.... You can even grow your own if you want. (assuming you dont have black thumbs like mwah....)

How to Take Stevia Cuttings
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12