Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 45+ Ladies - Has it been harder for you to lose on PB?

Hybrid View

45+ Ladies - Has it been harder for you to lose on PB?

I have been doing PB for five weeks and have only lost 3-4 lbs. I was surgically placed into menopause in May of last year and have put on 10-15 lbs since then. Just wondering if other ladies seem to struggle even following the PB.

Thanks in Advance.

I am only 40, so feel free to ignore. However, I definitely feel it can be harder for us as women to meet our goals, not to mention keep on track. I think you have to just make the decision to do it. Sitting on the fence weighing options is not productive for changing a lifestyle. Make a plan, own it and do it. If you have an off day, week or month...jump back to the plan. It took me 2 weeks to right myself after the holidays, and now I have to deal with Valentines. I have already decided to maintain this weekend and get back to Primal on Sunday. It isn't a race, no biggest loser $ to win. If 50/50 is all you can do some weeks, that's okay...better than nothing.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Thank you ladies. And JennGlob, I would never ignore your comments. I know ladies under 45 are in menopause/surgical menopause and in general its harder for women in general.

I have been doing well so far I think. I am down to one Splenda in my coffee, trying to use Stevia mostly. Still need to give up my one vice...Diet Coke....but I am only having one in the morning. Will get off it soon. From where I was, which was a carb junkie, I am doing well. I just see all these people that dropped 10-15 so easily...I guess I was hoping to be one of those too.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeupAddict12 View Post
    Thank you ladies. And JennGlob, I would never ignore your comments. I know ladies under 45 are in menopause/surgical menopause and in general its harder for women in general.

I have been doing well so far I think. I am down to one Splenda in my coffee, trying to use Stevia mostly. Still need to give up my one vice...Diet Coke....but I am only having one in the morning. Will get off it soon. From where I was, which was a carb junkie, I am doing well. I just see all these people that dropped 10-15 so easily...I guess I was hoping to be one of those too.
    It took me from April until October to lose 10 lbs. It has taken me from October until now to regularly stay at 130, now those last 5-10...we will have to see and hope . My big problems are red wine and apple fritters. They seem so easy to ditch, but I have children and very little patience.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

I didn't notice any weight loss for the first 5 weeks or so, although I went by feel not by the scale. I didn't find this way of eating to be difficult to follow at all, though. I'm not in menopause but I had a hysterectomy (without the oophrectomy) when I was 39. I know that I will never look like a hot young bikini babe or a cross-fit babe but I'm pretty satisfied with my more athletic and strong physique and the ability to eat for realz and not gain weight.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

As you may know, I am not a 45 year old woman. I am a 26 year old male, so I'm probably the last person you'd take seriously, but I'd just like to give a little input:

1.) Weight loss is entirely caloric. While certain lifestyles will support a healthier metabolism than others (starvation diets low in nutrients WILL lower your metabolic rate, making it impossible to sustain low enough calories to lose weight), you always have to burn more fuel than you take in.

2.) The reason why it's so damn difficult for post-menopausal women to lose weight is because the metabolic rate drops significantly. It's not your fault. It's a product of portion size. We eat with our EYES, not with our stomach. Applebees, Olive Garden and Red Lobster have given us a preconceived notion of what a plate should look like, so we often just eat based on habitual portion sizes instead of actually listening to hunger. Remember, eating 150 calories extra a day for a 6 foot tall young man is a drop in the bucket, but for a 40-something woman whose total daily caloric burn is 1400...it's over a 10% surplus! Each bite counts twice as more for a woman than a young man, so that's why it's so much harder.

The advice I'd give:

1.) Drink plenty of water. Often, hunger is confused for thirst so you'll want to eat just to eat the moisture out of foods. If you stay well-hydrated, you're less likely to confuse this.

2.) Lift. Heavy. Post-menopausal women have the least desirable hormone profile for staying lean. Sprinting, deadlifting and squats with heavy weights will optimize your hormone profile and make you least likely to store fat when you overeat. It'll trend more towards lean mass.

NO EXCUSES!

3.) Cut your fat intake, up your protein intake. The more fat you take in, the more you have to burn to lose weight. You can't lose body fat without burning through dietary first, so trade in that ribeye for a sirloin, and use your slow cooker more instead of your frying pan.

4.) Don't necessarily live under the carbohydrate curve. This is all calorie-driven. If you fill up faster eating potatoes than fatty steak, maybe you'll eat less calories by incorporating more starch. Or maybe it'll make things worse. Experiment with all foods. I notice many post-menopausal women around here eat 50-60% calories from fat. I'd drop that to 30-40%, raise protein to 30-40% and consume 20-30% carbohydrate.

Take it for what it's worth.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ChacoTaco369
    Thank you very mcuh. My God, that's a beautiful picture. She'll be one of my role models. Maybe I'll print it and put it on my bedroom wall.

Choco,
    If you want to give advice on weight loss while dealing with hormonal turmoil I suggest you ask your doctor for medication to inhibit your sex hormones and thyroid production for several months to a year. After that year feel free to enlighten others dealing with this issue.

Until then, please stop coming off like you know how those of us that are living this issue should walk this path.

Great post Chocotaco. It'll be more fun if Paleobird wd. drop by this thread. I can just imagine thepotential calorie-burning then.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry H View Post
    Great post Chocotaco. It'll be more fun if Paleobird wd. drop by this thread. I can just imagine thepotential calorie-burning then.
    I actually totally agree with Chaco about calories. I just find it hilarious that he acts like he invented calorie counting when he fought me tooth and nail about it on my calorie counting thread back in the day. But I'm glad he figured it out.

Also no argument that dropping the excess fat can help keep the calories down. It worked for me. (Also on the calorie counting threads).

I think lifting weights is wonderful exercise and that senior lifting lady is awesome.

But, of course, I'm with cori that the carb/fat levels are an individual thing and that HFLC does serve a medicinal purpose to someone trying to get their hunger signaling mechanism sorted out and functioning right.

And Louisa, way to be a douche, girl. I post on the EMF thread. I have lost all 65lbs that I needed to and climb mountains. Does that make me enough of a "do'er" for you?