Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 45+ Ladies - Has it been harder for you to lose on PB? page 7

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeupAddict12 View Post
    I have been doing PB for five weeks and have only lost 3-4 lbs. I was surgically placed into menopause in May of last year and have put on 10-15 lbs since then. Just wondering if other ladies seem to struggle even following the PB.

Thanks in Advance.
    Hi MakeupAddict. Congratulations on starting your primal journey. In my experience it becomes easier to follow the PB as you go along, so don't give up.

I am 48, I have been exercising for 12 months and eating primally since June. I had been experiencing premenopausal symptoms such as bloating, insomnia, mood swings and sugar crashes but they have disappeared, my cycle is more regular than ever, my energy is up, weight down, blood pressure normal which it has never been etc etc. All these gains are so worthwhile that I am not really tempted to stray from what works. Besides which I really love primal foods and enjoy them better than the grains, oils and sugary products that so many people regard as treats. To me, all my food is a treat.

All this talk about macros and percentages goes over my head, I simply eat real food and aim to have some protein at every meal, plenty of veges, and "not too many" nuts, fruit, cheese. It has worked well for me.

I had some fat to lose at the beginning, so I definitely limited carbs for a time. But I didn't overdo the fat either and the inches just melted away. I also take a weights class twice a week. I love it because it has made me stronger, better shape, and allows me to eat more (good thing, right?). Now that I am happy with my weight (5'4", 59kg) I am more generous with both fat and carbs.

There could be many reasons you are struggling. Like, having the wrong foods still in the house or having to cook for other nonprimal family members etc. Also simply not having enough good primal options right there when you need them.

For example, You might need to shop more often so that you have fresh veges on hand. Or cook extra at dinner so your primal lunch is ready to grab when you want it. I often find myself looking ahead to my next meal and planning it in my head. THis is a lot of fun when I know the fridge and pantry are well stocked, but not so much when the cupboards are bare.

Good luck.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    in elderly men and women

ugghh I felt pretty good until I read "elderly"

No doubt, primal is the way to eat. I would never think of going back to CW. This is like getting back to the way I was raised before fast food - either fast food while out or fast processed foods at home. (which we mostly ate out, I hardly cooked in 15 years)

And depending on how much your body needs to heal, progress could be slower/faster, but it is healing so yes definitely do not give up on primal.

Since my goal is to maximize fat loss, I just needed to adjust my macros which also makes me feel better. But those might make someone else's conditions worse. And I felt pretty good when I started primal, but after reading threads and going even Higher HFLC, things just got whacked up. I enjoy things like fruit, and I didnt like that period of time when I was afraid to eat it. I would come to Mark's Daily Apple every day, yet I was afraid to eat one.

One of the best pieces of advice that I have read of late, was stay off the boards for the first 6 months.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

julesy is offline Junior Member
    Great thread. So helpful. I'm 46 and I lost my first 25 with portion control (some on my own and some weight watchers) and building regular exercise into my life. Took nine months. Then I moved into a major plateau. I've been stalled for about six months and at the same time switched to paleo under naturalpath's orders to reduce inflammation. I've gotten frustrated because I can't seem to lose a single pound and I still have aches and pains, but realized my frustration was leading to cheating. So, I'm back on full strength and still am not losing. Was considering upping the fat, but I think given this thread it's not a good idea. I think adding heavy lifting would be good for me (right now I do core power yoga and Jcore). Anyone know of a 30 minute lifting video that would be good for a 46 year old woman?

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    ugghh I felt pretty good until I read "elderly"

Since my goal is to maximize fat loss, I just needed to adjust my macros which also makes me feel better. But those might make someone else's conditions worse. And I felt pretty good when I started primal, but after reading threads and going even Higher HFLC, things just got whacked up. I enjoy things like fruit, and I didnt like that period of time when I was afraid to eat it. I would come to Mark's Daily Apple every day, yet I was afraid to eat one.
    Can someone explain Macros and HFLC? I think I may have seen a legend somewhere for translating abbreviations nd terms but can't remember where!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by julesy View Post
    Anyone know of a 30 minute lifting video that would be good for a 46 year old woman?
    Watch these videos.
    Starting Strength: Videos

Get the Starting Strength book and maybe Practical Programming as well. Understand that Starting Strength is for skinny high school guys who want to get on the football team, so make a few adjustments to "the program":

- Increase weights in smaller increments. (5lbs, 2.5 or even 1lb. You'll have to buy your own small weights.)
    - Don't do the gallon of milk a day thing (GOMAD). Instead, just eat more protein.
    - If you struggle to recover, do fewer workouts per week.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Watch these videos.
    Starting Strength: Videos

Get the Starting Strength book and maybe Practical Programming as well. Understand that Starting Strength is for skinny high school guys who want to get on the football team, so make a few adjustments to "the program":

- Increase weights in smaller increments. (5lbs, 2.5 or even 1lb. You'll have to buy your own small weights.)
    - Don't do the gallon of milk a day thing (GOMAD). Instead, just eat more protein.
    - If you struggle to recover, do fewer workouts per week.
    Thanks! Should 5 pund weights be the max for a middle aged female? I guess I should post this in the fitness thread!

canio6 Guest
    Thanks! Should 5 pund weights be the max for a middle aged female? I guess I should post this in the fitness thread!
    I think what sbhikes meant was to increase the weight in small increments like from 30 pounds to 32.5 not to try to jump up from 30 to 45 or some such. There are women here of all ages that throw around mad weight.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Then I moved into a major plateau. I've been stalled for about six months ..... Was considering upping the fat, but I think given this thread it's not a good idea. I
    All I know is that for me, upping the fat did not work. But at the same time, my daily calories were probably too low. If I would have taken a day or two and upped calories/carbs, it probably would have been okay. So it totally zapped my energy. And when I thought I had energy, I didnt have any motivation.

Now I can do a day now and then, some days just work out that way, and I am no worse for wear.

Can someone explain Macros and HFLC? I think I may have seen a legend somewhere for translating abbreviations nd terms but can't remember where!
    Macros are carbs/fat/protein
    HFLC is high fat low carb

65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Anyone know of a 30 minute lifting video that would be good for a 46 year old woman?
    Seriously...starting strength.

The Starting Strength Novice/Beginner Programs - Starting Strength Wiki

Go right into mastering the big motions: deadlifts, squats, benchpresses, power cleans.

The Original Starting Strength Novice Program

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press
    5x3 Power cleans

Workouts A and B alternate on 3 non-consecutive days per week.

Over two weeks, you basically go:
    Monday #1 Routine A
    Thursday #1 Routine B
    Saturday #1 Routine A
    Monday #2 Routine B
    Thursday #2 Routine A
    Saturday #2 Routine B

Repeat. Every 3rd cycle consider taking an entire week off. If you get really, really sore or are getting bad sleep, consider taking a whole week off after 2 cycles.

I recommend using the absolute heaviest weight you can do 5 times with proper form. If you can do it more than 5 times, add another 5 lbs and work up until you can do it 5 times again. That's how it should work every week - you are either trying to add a repetition or 5 lb more. Compete with yourself. Buy a journal and track your progress.

After you get more comfortable with the big lifts, you can branch out and add other things to your routine like chin-ups, lat pulldowns, calf raises and other supplemental complex movements. Just don't let me see you doing things like crunches and anything involving those ridiculous bosu balls!
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think it all boils down to individual body requirements. I lose on higher fat lower carb. I don't know why it works but it does. Down 19+ pounds. I'm happy. I do add extra carbs/lower fat once every week or so. Experimentation to see what works for your individual body seems to be important.

To the original poster staying with Primal has been easy for me. It's actually the easiest I have ever lost weight since I needed to lose any. It's almost too easy in my mind. I feel kind of guilty I haven't suffered some to lose this weight. LOL
    Last edited by Primal123; 02-14-2013 at 08:59 PM. Reason: typos

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast