Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 45+ Ladies - Has it been harder for you to lose on PB? page 3

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Great post Chocotaco. It'll be more fun if Paleobird wd. drop by this thread. I can just imagine thepotential calorie-burning then.

14emom is offline Member
    Yes, good post Chocotaco!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Geez. I cannot express my opinion but every one else can????

Lighten up, people.
    The problem is your statement breaks down into, "Your opinion isn't valid because I said so," And now you're upset when others do the same to you? You can't have it both ways.

Look, I realize post-menopausal women are different than young men. A post-menopausal woman is going to have the toughest time of anyone losing weight, and I give you all in that category all the credit in the world for putting your best foot forward. But as different as I may be from a 45+ year old woman, let's not forget that we are all human beings. We all operate under the same rules, we have the same hormones, we have the same metabolic processes. A 45+ year old woman just has the toughest hormonal profile to crack and the lowest average calorie intake to maintain body weight, so it takes a lot of extra care and attention to "do it right."

But that is no need to get vitriolic about it. I run into the most resistance from people in this age group. And I get why. There is a lot of bitterness because, let's face it, it's comparatively easy for me. I can gain 10 lbs of muscle in 3 months eating ice cream without putting a lot of body fat. I can lose 10 lbs and in 2 months by just by scaling back a bit. I can go out drinking on the weekends and really take that 20% to heart and pretty easily maintain <13% body fat. And that should piss you off because it's just not fair. But it's not a slight against you, and I really want to help. Obviously the rules are different, but you can at least take the generalities. And the generalities are this:

1.) Your hormone profile is difficult to overcome. So optimize it. That is done through heavy lifts and sprints. Don't be afraid, there's nothing hotter than a woman deadlifting and doing squats with REAL WEIGHT, and all those big guys at the gym won't beat up on you. They'll respect the hell out of you for doing it. Nothing is more impressive than a woman outlifting a man, and you'd be surprised what you can lift if you try.

2.) It's tough to maintain a caloric deficit in a diet that doesn't allow a whole lot of leeway. So this is where you want to maximize your satiety per calorie. Protein is most satisfying, so up your levels at the expense of carbohydrate and especially fat. You will be fuller longer on leaner meats than fattier meats. That doesn't mean eat steamed chicken breast. It just means to cut back on oily fried foods and fatty meats like ribeye, ribs and pork shoulder, and maybe moderate with some pork loin, sirloin and flank steak. They still taste great and are fairly lean.

3.) Recognize that while calories-in/calories-out dictate weight loss and gain, you can play some metabolic tricks.

Protein has roughly a 30% TEF - nearly 1/3 of the calories you take in with protein is lost due to how much work your body does to process it. It is more metabolically taxing.

Carbohydrate has roughly a 10% TEF - sugar and starch boost your thyroid and raise your body temperature, so some of the calories are lost due to heat.

Fat's TEF is about 0%. MCT's are around 3%. Pouring fat on is the fastest way to gain body fat. Your goal is to find the minimum amount of fat to consume where you stay full and still enjoy your meals. You really don't need to drink butter in your coffee or put butter on a ribeye steak, seriously. It's just excessive. And God, I love bacon but not everything needs to be wrapped in it.

I would recommend a fat intake of 40% for the older gals. I'm a bit lower at the 30% range, but I'm kinda active, I'm very insulin sensitive and I'm young. Even those with blood sugar issues should do well on a diet of around 40% fat, 40% protein and 20% carbohydrate. Just try and do squashes and lower GI fruits if blood glucose is an issue, and calorie-per-calorie, it'll be a lot easier than trying to lose weight on a diet of 60% fat.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Choco,
    If you want to give advice on weight loss while dealing with hormonal turmoil I suggest you ask your doctor for medication to inhibit your sex hormones and thyroid production for several months to a year. After that year feel free to enlighten others dealing with this issue.

Until then, please stop coming off like you know how those of us that are living this issue should walk this path.
    Excuse me, where did I say that I know what you are living through? Actually my first line was:

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    As you may know, I am not a 45 year old woman. I am a 26 year old male, so I'm probably the last person you'd take seriously, but I'd just like to give a little input:
    Does that sound like a person claiming to know everything, or someone treading lightly and trying to be sensitive to the situation while still providing an honest solution?

Seriously.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Leaflard is offline Senior Member
    I'm a 48 year old woman who lost 90lbs 2.5 years ago on a low fat vegan diet coupled with daily walking. That weight loss brought me to the top end of the "healthy weight" according to the BMI stats. Nearly two years ago I decided that while a vegan diet was surely an ethical diet, it was not a natural diet, and decided to eat more traditionally. That led me to the Paleo template-o-sphere and the Weston A Price Foundation. These days I eat more of a Perfect Health Diet-style diet which includes sprouted rice and, occasionally some sprouted legumes such as lentils. I do not avoid fatty meats, and in fact, seek them out. What I do avoid is adding any extra fats because that is where I get into trouble maintenance-wise. For example, I do not plop a big old hunk of Kerrygold butter on a steak, but I do eat steak.

I had been stalled for a long time at 165-ish lbs and then I decided that it was time to up the ante a bit if I really wanted to ditch the last 20-ish lbs. I had already been CrossFitting twice a week but decided to add in an extra day. Since I decided to commit to that, my trainer decided that we should start a strength training program and so I now do heavy lifting twice a week. Additionally, I decided that I would start swimming at least three days a week. Not only does swimming make me feel amazing, both physically and emotionally, it helps unkink all the muscles that get contorted by CrossFit.

Diet-wise, I don't eat crap. I keep my food pretty simple really. I eat seafood 2x a week, organ meats [liverwurst that contains liver, kidney and heart] twice a week and ruminants the remainder. I consume bone broth daily as well as fermented cod liver oil. I make sure that I eat something fermented most days and nearly every day begins with eggs. These days I seem to be content with two meals. I eat around noon after I exercise, and then again in the late afternoon at around 4-5pm. This is a classic IF schedule but I didn't set it up intentionally, I simply eat when I'm hungry and this is what it's amounted to lately.

For me, calories matter. I'm eating under 1500 calories on most days but I'm satiated because I'm eating highly nutritious, quality foods. Since the first week of January when I began this new routine of increased movement coupled with lower calories, I've shed a solid 10 lbs, perhaps more. The thing is, my clothing now fits differently because I have gained muscle and lost some serious fat.

My goal is fitness. I decided that this year is for me. It's a year where I will make myself matter. I'm 48 years old; it's about damned time.

14emom is offline Member
    Fat's TEF is about 0%. MCT's are around 3%. Pouring fat on is the fastest way to gain body fat. Your goal is to find the minimum amount of fat to consume where you stay full and still enjoy your meals. You really don't need to drink butter in your coffee or put butter on a ribeye steak, seriously. It's just excessive. And God, I love bacon but not everything needs to be wrapped in it.
    ^^^This.
    I really think that's the crux of the matter for me. I have been on a journey to find ultimate fitness, and it has been a lot of trial and error. I LOATHE low fat eating, but, eating butter in my coffee, or having everything wrapped in bacon, is just not for me. And like I said earlier, even lowering my fat to, like you suggested, to 40%, is a heck of a lot more than I was eating before. And I think, that is enough to help me to enjoy my meals.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    .....Obviously the rules are different, but you can at least take the generalities. And the generalities are this:.....
    Thank you, again, for this info. See, you thought it was like beating a dead horse...but some of it does get through

Leaflard, thank you for posting also. Sounds much like what I am doing, so I am feeling pretty good about it all.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

MakeupAddict12 is offline Junior Member
    I want to thank everyone for their insights. I will play with my totals some and see if things change. Keep them coming!!!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Once I got nutrient-replete (including optimizing my D3, which took about 6 months), intermittent fasting has been my best friend. I'm within 5 lbs of my "ideal".

Now I eat two smallish lower carb/high fat meals per day & feel satiated. If I eat too many carbs, I tend to over-eat, so I stay in the range of 50-100 gms/day.

Everyone's hormonal profile is different, so YMMV.

I'm 50, female, regular periods, no medication. Former personal trainer, so I have decent muscle mass which I maintain with weekly resistance training/daily walking.

Here's my blog post on a related topic: Nutrition for a Juicy Menopause | Sondra Rose: Pregnancy Coaching for Conscious Parents

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Some very good posts!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast