Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 45+ Ladies - Has it been harder for you to lose on PB? page 2

MakeupAddict12 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I appreciate anyone's help because we all want more knowledge regarding our efforts. Keep the suggestions and opinions coming!

MakeupAddict12 is offline Junior Member
    I thought I would provide further info. I lost 46 lbs in 2000 doing WW and it took me 2 years to lose that. I am a slow loser. I kept that weight off easily until I turned 44 and crept up 5 to 7 lbs. I could not lose it! Then at 47 last year had full hysterectomy. Have struggled from then to get hormones right. I think I found that balance and now added 5-7 more lbs.

I have my calories set for 1450. The breakdown is 55% fat, 30 protein and 15 carbs. Should I rearrange?

I am doing well, not hungry most days and resisting the others easily! Husband is doing this with me so that makes it easier amd he loved the plan.

Again any help is appreciated!

Bunnyfoot is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Okay, Chocotaco, until you have lived it personally you have no place telling a 40+ woman dealing with hormonal issues ANYTHING.

I wouldn't even think of telling a 26 year old male ANYTHING. I am not one.
    That is rude. Someone is genuinely offering help and you throw this vomit in here? No wonder I only lurk and never ask questions. People of all ages and sexes may have wonderful information, I am guessing you don't have a male OB because they don't have vaginas?

14emom is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeupAddict12 View Post
    I thought I would provide further info. I lost 46 lbs in 2000 doing WW and it took me 2 years to lose that. I am a slow loser. I kept that weight off easily until I turned 44 and crept up 5 to 7 lbs. I could not lose it! Then at 47 last year had full hysterectomy. Have struggled from then to get hormones right. I think I found that balance and now added 5-7 more lbs.

I have my calories set for 1450. The breakdown is 55% fat, 30 protein and 15 carbs. Should I rearrange?

I am doing well, not hungry most days and resisting the others easily! Husband is doing this with me so that makes it easier amd he loved the plan.

I wonder if I should lower my fat a bit too? My husband has been suggesting it, it still would be high compared to most diets though. I am not quite 45 yet (43 yrs old) but once I hit 38, my ability to lose weight almost came to complete halt. Lifting weights, and now eating primal, seems like the only things that work. This is a good thread.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyfoot View Post
    That is rude. Someone is genuinely offering help and you throw this vomit in here?
    You know, Choco has been saying the same thing in the year that I have been here, but I always dismissed it because everybody gives it such sh*t. Like watching your fat and eating a few more carbs, and watching the calories if you have a weight issue, isn't primal enough. Like if we don't have fat dripping off our chins, we aren't doing it right or something.

So I figured, what would a young buck know, so I dismissed it. However, had I listened to it last year, I would probably be at my goal now. Ugggh.
    Last edited by gopintos; 02-13-2013 at 01:26 PM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Hi Guys, I was 32 when I had my hysti, and found it incredibly hard to keep the weight off since then. ( I had been running for years - 60+ kms per week) I am now 49, and do a reduced version of exersize. 6 months ago I started eating this way and I have been fiddling around with my macros. I have starting watching my calorific intake, and have worked out the ratios for me, and am starting to lose again. I am down about 8 kg, so long and slow - but what the hell - enjoyment is the key !
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

paleodutch is online now Senior Member
    i am 49 and lost 20 kilograms in my first 6 months of primal. i still ate some fruit, nuts, chocolate but think the mayor contributing factor is not eating cowmilk products because i discovered i react badly to it, no more refined sugar or grains. Only recently, after the weight loss i have started some bodyweight training and am gaining strength now

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeupAddict12 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 14emom View Post
    I wonder if I should lower my fat a bit too? My husband has been suggesting it, it still would be high compared to most diets though.

All I can share is my experience.

I started by cutting out most of the bad stuff, like sugars, processed, no soda, no fast food, and we didnt do breads really.

Then I started CW of dieting. 50c/30f/20p I was losing 8-10lbs per month. Calories varied almost every day between 1400-1800 I did eat a wheat bread type product once a day, because I thought I was suppose to. I also started eating legumes because I thought I was suppose to, and Peanut Butter. And still losing weight.

So 20lbs dropped changing habits. (over a few months)
    30lbs dropped eating 50c/30f/20p (over about 2-3 months)
    20lbs dropped eating primal - 11 months.

Then primal, I increased the fat to 50%. I was pretty happy. I was no longer hungry all the time. No longer woke up wanting to chew my arm off.

But weight loss slowed to like 4-5lbs per month. But I was still okay with that. But then................. I started reading more and more,and ppl were having good success with even higher fat. Even lower carbs. And cut back the protein also even.

50-60% - around 3lbs. But others were losing, so maybe I wasn't high enough!
    So 60-70% fat was about 2lbs per month weight loss.
    70% - 80% is about 1 - zero lbs lost per month. But not gaining either though.
    80%, maybe even 75%, I start to gain.

Too many calories? FAT chance. I was FULL on sometimes 800, but usually 1000 - 1200
    Too few calories? Perhaps.
    Too few for too long, without a carb refeed? That might have made the difference, but I must have have skipped class that day, cuz I missed that part.

I still do HF/LC days if I feel I need to get the bloat off, like after Christmas. But for now, I am pretty happy with my 3-way split. I try to zig-zag my calories, but usually just end up eating about 1300-1400 every day. That is until this week. I increased my exercise and my appetite has increased also, but I am still keeping calories under 1800 w/about an hour of activity per day.

I also snack on a daily doze of my own words. I fix a sweet potato or something, and DH is like... I thought you were watching carbs? Or the other day he wanted something, that he just had earlier, and I was like, No you shouldn't have that much fat, eat something else. And he was like.. But Fat doesnt make you Fat. So I have been having to do some back pedaling. We have been married 20 years and now he decides to pay attention to me.

So I am the last person to give advice, but I think I have found my groove again. Thank gawd
    Last edited by gopintos; 02-13-2013 at 01:41 PM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I can only share my own experience--but it may be helpful insofar as it generally coincides with ChocoTaco's advice.

After a lifetime of morbid obesity, I lost almost 200 lbs (c.340 to 143) when I was post-menopausal and also hypothyroid--two things that significantly slow metabolism. I happen to be extremely carb sensitive, so I have to keep my carbs low (and that may not be true for others), but I also had to keep my calories much lower than most would advise to simply lose a pound a week (at most). I've been maintaining for almost 2 years, and I don't eat much more than when I got to goal.

I read the original Atkins in 1972, so I never associated low carb with high fat--simply with 'normal' fat. In the beginning of my weight loss, I had some gastric problems that forced me to eat low fat for several years, and when I was able to add, it was to a very moderate level. In maintenance, I've read all the 'hoopla' about the importance and value of fat, but anytime I've added fat (keeping my calories low), I begin to gain. I've read recently that 'older women' do better with less fat, so I no longer feel like a low-carb 'outsider' because I limit fat.

At age 71, the only Rx I take our my thyroid hormones, and my regular blood tests show that all my lab values are sensational.

Choco is absolutely correct about how we tend to eat with our 'eyes.' I've found that my body is satisfied with much less food that my 'eyes' would like to feed it:-)

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Choco,
    If you want to give advice on weight loss while dealing with hormonal turmoil I suggest you ask your doctor for medication to inhibit your sex hormones and thyroid production for several months to a year. After that year feel free to enlighten others dealing with this issue.

Until then, please stop coming off like you know how those of us that are living this issue should walk this path.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast