Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 45+ Ladies - Has it been harder for you to lose on PB? page 11

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    My point was that Chaco keeps creating this strawman of some oil guzzling ideology to rail against when many HFLC folks such as me do eat real foods.
    Really? Have you not seen the hundreds of threads about people eating straight coconut oil, blending entire sticks of butter in their coffee, eating Kerrygold by the slice, using pork rinds as tortilla chip substitutes and spooning bacon grease on food just because?

This is commonplace. You are not going to eat 60+% calories from fat naturally. You have to go out of your way to do it unless you're going so subsist solely on fried eggs. Very few real meats contain 60% calories from fat, and no, bacon is not real meat. It's junk with no nutritional value. Sure, it tastes great, but let's call it what it is. Too many people on this site are on the buttered coffee, bacon, nut butter and dark chocolate diet. Maybe that's why they stall? Again, too much focus on fat content, not enough focus on real food. If we focused on a whole foods message instead of some HFLC hogwash, not only would we all be better nourished but probably a lot thinner, too.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 02-15-2013 at 11:18 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivanthe View Post
    I feel like the forum has become predominantly HFLC, and that going over 50g carbs is a kind of primal blasphemy -- with the exception of the Potato threads.

In my opinion, Choco* is trying to bring it back to simply eating whole foods. There's so much micromanaging and it seems to infect every thread, confusing newcomers -- and let's face it, everyone can stay to stay off the forums for the first few months, but lots are desperate enough to tweak things they shouldn't have to and get an information overload.

*Random, but since i've joined, I've always wondered if that A in Chaco is added to annoy him more, or if it's a subconscious combo of Choco + Taco ... like "brunch".
    Honestly, I don't see that there is a predominance towards HFLC.

While there is a certain subset of people who it works for, and who prefer it, there are also lots of people doing moderate carb, and even higher carb such as PHD which included a pound of starch daily.
    And I would say that the HFLC subgroup is by far the smaller one here on MDA.
    Those topics just don't generate the attention because no one argues against them.
    (except perhaps in the context that people did argue about eating ALL potatoes for weeks at a time)
    It is very well accepted that different levels of fats/proteins/carbs work for different people UNTIL you get to the HFLC issue, then there is this contentious attitude that people who feel better on it are "wrong".

The Choco/Chaco spelling issue...
    I don't ever think it's misspelled on purpose to annoy him.
    I'm pretty sure it is subconscious where they are simply making they first half of the name reflect the second half in spelling because phonetically it SOUNDS the same.
    When you say "Choco Taco" ("choco" as in chocolate taco BTW, it's an ice cream snack thing):
    You say: Cha-ko Ta-ko not: Cho-ko Ta-ko.

Edit: "buttered coffee, bacon, nut butter and dark chocolate" ... FYI- I don't eat any of those foods.
    For people who do those certainly are not the staples, and if they use them in moderation within their caloric allotment... you should probably go pound sand.
    Last edited by cori93437; 02-15-2013 at 11:36 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think it comes from Chaco sandals. They're kinda in the lexicon now.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Well... I'll take the challenge

Eggs come in at 63%

Pork Belly Its not bacon...its belly! 92%

Mmmmm ribeye so 72%

gound beef
    59%, but factor in I buy 75/25 from wellness meats which actually bumps fat to 77%

So without looking them all up we can say most any rib will make the list pork spare ribs, back ribs, beef ribs....basically most bone in hunks of meat. Chicken thighs and bone in pieces with skin attached make the list too.
    Most all the pieces I choose have 60+ from fat. I really do think it beneficial for people to choose the bone in fatty cuts on purpose. These cuts essentially render the constituents of bone broth right into the meat WHILE you slow cook them. And the fat to protein ratio of approximately 2/1 is optimal.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post

Eggs come in at 63%

Mmmmm ribeye so 72%

gound beef
    59%, but factor in I buy 75/25 from wellness meats which actually bumps fat to 77%

So without looking them all up we can say most any rib will make the list pork spare ribs, back ribs, beef ribs....basically most bone in hunks of meat. Chicken thighs and bone in pieces with skin attached make the list too.
    Most all the pieces I choose have 60+ from fat. I really do think it beneficial for people to choose the bone in fatty cuts on purpose. These cuts essentially render the constituents of bone broth right into the meat WHILE you slow cook them. And the fat to protein ratio of approximately 2/1 is optimal.
    This.

I like cultured dairy too... and that can be delicious and up in the 70+% fat range.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    and no, bacon is not real meat. It's junk with no nutritional value. Sure, it tastes great, but let's call it what it is.
    Agreed.

A condiment. ;D

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    ... and even higher carb such as PHD which included a pound of starch daily.
    And I would say that the HFLC subgroup is by far the smaller one here on MDA.
    PHD is actually:
    low to mod. Carbohydrate (20-35%)
    High fat (50-65%)
    Mod Protein (15%)

Except for weight loss. Then he recommends 40% fat.

Perfect Health Diet: Weight Loss Version | Perfect Health Diet

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post

Eggs come in at 63%

Mmmmm ribeye so 72%

gound beef

But the thing is, unless you eat ONLY that, the macros average themselves out. When I break fast, it looks HF, cuz it is eggs and salmon, but then as the day progresses, it evens out to about a 3 way split.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Honestly, I don't see that there is a predominance towards HFLC....and even higher carb such as PHD which included a pound of starch daily.
    I'm going to cherry pick this quote because it sums up the incredible bias towards HFLC.

A pound of starch a day is next to nothing. 1 lb of white potatoes, one of the densest starches available from mother nature, contains 77g of carbohydrate. A larger, active male would be in the ketogenic range consuming 1 lb of starch a day. 1 lb of starch a day puts you into the "sedentary" category of <100g/day carbohydrate consumption. Well under.

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Potatoes, white, flesh and skin, raw [Includes USDA commodity food A215]

After a workout in a sitting, I routinely consume a plantain, 600g of sweet potato and an apple. That may sound like a lot in a sitting, but really it's <200g of carbohydrate.

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Sweet potato, raw, unprepared [Includes USDA commodity food A230, Sweetpotato]
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Plantains, raw
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Apples, raw, with skin [Includes USDA commodity food A343]

Edit: "buttered coffee, bacon, nut butter and dark chocolate" ... FYI- I don't eat any of those foods. .
    I know you don't, but lots of people believe as long as they keep carbs low, they can take spoons to jars of almond butter, coconut oil, chomp chocolate as long as it's 85+% and drink buttered coffee with no repercussions. The HFLC movement promotes the belief that weight gain is "all about insulin" and calories only count if carbs are over a certain threshold. It's frustrating. I will never change my stance from "just eat real food." I live by that quote, and I believe in it deeply. It really is that easy.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure it is subconscious where they are simply making they first half of the name reflect the second half in spelling because phonetically it SOUNDS the same.
    When you say "Choco Taco" ("choco" as in chocolate taco BTW, it's an ice cream snack thing):
    You say: Cha-ko Ta-ko not: Cho-ko Ta-ko.
    Oh I know what they are, haha. "Chaco" just sounds like it's said with a Boston accent I hear it that way when i read it!

It is very well accepted that different levels of fats/proteins/carbs work for different people UNTIL you get to the HFLC issue, then there is this contentious attitude that people who feel better on it are "wrong".
    Totally agree. I think people just get passionate about whatever they're doing, but the problem is they think it's the only right way ... and that's a lot of what I seem to read lately. There are of course, the middle ground people. Traditionally though they're not the ones that stick out when you look back!
    Last edited by Nivanthe; 02-15-2013 at 12:01 PM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivanthe View Post
    Boston accent
    I've never thought of that. Yuck.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast