Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Creative Ideas for Salmon? page

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

Creative Ideas for Salmon?

I have a whole salmon (beheaded and gutted) of ~3 lbs. My usual way to have it is baked, then over buttery rice or buttery spinach. I love it, but would like some other ways to serve it because as a one person household, that salmon is going to last awhile. I freeze anything I'm not going to eat within two days.

Any ideas? I have neither an outdoor grill, nor a microwave.

Thanx in advance.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Salmon cakes? Salmon burgers? Medium-rare salmon steak? Salmon tartare?
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

I usually turn leftovers from baked/broiled into cakes or burgers, as well. Salmon burgers with generous amounts of dill and some caper berries = winner!

There's an awesome recipe for grilled salmon that would still be quite awesome without the wood smoke flavor. Soak the salmon in dark rum for about 15-20 minutes, turning once to ensure all sides are coated. Drain and pat dry. Take 2 cups of brown sugar, 1 cup kosher salt, and 2 T. black pepper and mix well; put about 1/3 of the mixture in a pan or casserole dish large enough to hold the fish, and pat the remainder over top. (Don't worry about the sugar, its role is primarily to help "cure" the fish, and the actual amount eaten is practically nil.) Refrigerate for 2-4 hours. Wash the fish well, pat dry, and 1) grill over a charcoal fire with wood chips 15-20 minutes, or 2) bake at 350F for 15 minutes. The flavor is excellent and the texture is quite different.

You could also try making gravlax and just munching on it all week long - great for snacks, breakfast, lunch, whenever. I think Mark did a post, but the idea is similar. You get a large pan, coat the fish with a salt/sugar/dill combo, and pour a little vodka over top. Weight down with another sheet pan with a cast iron skillet or other heavy item. Twice a day, ladle the rendered juices over the fish and re-weight. Good to eat sans cooking after 3-4 days, just need to clean the curing stuff off it.

MaryIM is offline Member
    We grill our salmon on a cedar plank on our gas grill. I soak the plank for about 2 hours (submerged in water). We have a marinade for the salmon that we've used countless times, even people who aren't crazy about salmon love our version. I marinate the salmon for at least 3 hours:

1/4 cup soy sauce
    1/2 of a fresh lemon lemon (juice)
    2 cloves garlic
    1 TBL grated fresh ginger
    2 TBL brown sugar
    1 TBL frozen OJ
    I practice yoga (am a yogini) and am also a follower of Grok ... so my journal is Grokini Mary

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66249.html

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Soup? Maybe not for the whole thing, but

Makes "4 servings"
    a carrot
    a leek
    some olive oil
    an onion
    bay leaf to your preference
    black peppercorns to your preference
    fish bones (pound or two if you can do it)

For the soup:
    salmon fillet, skinned
    scallops*
    dill
    mussels*
    double cream

Roughly chop the carrot and the leek, put them in a deep pan with the oil and let them cook for 5 minutes over a low to moderate heat. Peel and chop the onion, add it to the carrot and leek and continue cooking for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and sweet. Add the bay leaf, the peppercorns and the fish bones, then pour in enough water to cover the bones, at least a quart and a half and bring to the boil. Remove any froth with a draining spoon, then leave the stock to simmer for no more than 30 minutes. Drain the stock, you will need a bit under a quart, and discard the bones.

Pour stock into a clean pan and bring to a boil before turning down to simmer. Cut the salmon into cubes and lower into the stock, then almost immediately add the scallops, chopped dill and the mussels. The second the mussels have opened, add the cream, season the soup and serve.

I stole that from here but it is fairly similar to something my family used to have from time to time when I was growing up (though I have no idea where my family picked up the habit).

In my experience that sort of thing is great for the first meal, and in some ways maybe better (flavors mingled) or maybe not in a day or so if refrigerated and reheated. I wouldn't make a huge pot of it though.

* I've had with and without, both are good.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Cool! Those all helped. Thank you!

It's funny, I can almost always look at something and find creative ways to prepare it, but I was drawing a blank on the salmon. Thank you all for waking up my brain!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    What about a kedgeree? Steam a portion of salmon. Whilst that's doing, finely chop and onion and fry it in some butter and a bit of curry powder, hard boil an egg and chop it, and grate some cauliflower for "rice" (or just use rice if you eat it, which is more traditional). When it's all done, mix the cooked ingredients together and serve with vegetables of your choice (my children like peas, I like asparagus or greens).

Or make a paste with fresh coriander/cilantro, garlic, ginger, lime juice and olive oil, rub into the salmon and leave for a few hours in the fridge. Fry in butter or coconut and serve with what you like.

Egerland is offline Senior Member
    COLD salmon with home made mayonnaise... and fine white wine

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Add cooked salmon leftovers to an omelet. Of course, best if the salmon is smoked.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    Add cooked salmon leftovers to an omelet. Of course, best if the salmon is smoked.
    Speaking of which, smoked salmon deviled eggs = the bomb.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast