Thread: Newbie spending weekend on road/in a hotel and at a hockey rink. page

TrackMom is offline Member

Question Newbie spending weekend on road/in a hotel and at a hockey rink.

My goal for this weekend is to just avoid processed sugars and grains. I am not a complete convert yet, but I have been making small changes towards that goal for the last week and a half.

I would love any ideas and/or assistance to help me through the weekend so I can realize my goal. I am prepared to take food with me, but the ability to cook will be unavailable.

Suggestions for easy travelling foods, ordering suggestions, or whatever would be very helpful.

Thanks.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    What kind of places do you usually eat at when you're travelling? Fast food or local joints (like diners)? My go-to at restaurants is some kind of grilled meat with veggies, as it's a common menu item no matter where you go, whether it's Applebee's or a mom & pop diner. If you're going to be going for breakfast, bacon and eggs with coffee is always a good primal choice!

As far as snacks go, just pack some nuts, jerky, and maybe just a gluten-free treat (since you're still easing into this).
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    I think you have an excellent goal. My hockeyboy is grown up, but I am on the road with skatergirl about one long weekend a month during competition season. This is the first season I'm doing it primal (well, primalish).

MissJecka had great suggestions. If you find yourself at a fast food place for a meal, Panera and Chipotle have decent options. Even McD's offers salads with meat. None of that is top quality, but at least it's closer to what you might eat at home.

I always travel with a soft side cooler filled with drinks and DDs favorite cut up fruit and veggies. DD isn't primal so I may pack her a sandwich to avoid the crummy meal options on the road. I also pack her some kind of protein bars. I don't pack Pop-Tarts anymore, lol. If we're lucky, there's a frig in the hotel room. If not, I'm refilling the ice every day. I generally eat just 2 meals a day on these trips and snack only on fruits and veggies. When we're in a restaurant I enjoy the heck out of those meals! Most of the time, I can get something pretty primal.

When you get back, you may be bloated and heavier. In my experience, it's almost always water retention from restaurant food. My weight magically drops back down in 3 or 4 days.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Coolers are lifesavers on the road. Cheeses, veggies, berries, cold cuts, HB eggs, any dairy you like in your coffee. Canned fish travels well, as does jerky and hard salami. Pickles and olives travel well. Those marinated veggies in jars - giardiniera, peppers, pepperoncini, etc.

Have fun.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

SCruz Carter is offline Member
    Most restaurants will help you out if you talk to them. My go to when I am stuck is just go for a burger with side salad. I let my server know I am "gluten intolerant" (sort of true) and they are usually very accommodating and even remove the croutons from the salad. Most will even throw a fried egg on top of the burger for an extra $1 Sure it is not grass fed, but it is a heck of a lot better than the usual stuff! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Coolers are lifesavers on the road. Cheeses, veggies, berries, cold cuts, HB eggs, any dairy you like in your coffee. Canned fish travels well, as does jerky and hard salami. Pickles and olives travel well. Those marinated veggies in jars - giardiniera, peppers, pepperoncini, etc.

Have fun.
    I hadn't thought of salami. Is Keilbossa considered primal? Or at least primal enough?
    Goals:

Lose weight/fat!
    Get fit!
    Regain my health and energy!
    Run a marathon! (again)

These suggestions are great. Thanks for the input. Sometimes it is just so easy to get stumped when it comes to choosing the right foods.
    Goals:

Lose weight/fat!
    Get fit!
    Run a marathon! (again)

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackMom View Post
    Sometimes it is just so easy to get stumped when it comes to choosing the right foods.
    You'll get better at it. Whether you choose right or choose wrong, you'll learn something that will make the next time easier.

Is this a tournament? Good luck! And have a blast!
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Yep. A hockey tournament. Thanks very much.
    Goals:

Lose weight/fat!
    Get fit!
    Run a marathon! (again)

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sausages/salamis are fine if you can check the ingredients. Try to find the kinds that don't have a lot of additives, dyes, soy, wheat, etc. But meat + fat is totally primal.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.