Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How did you meet your significant other? page 3

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I spent 7 years alone. Then I decided to go on a Sierra Club hike. It was my 2nd Sierra Club hike and he was the leader. I thought he was really grumpy. I kept going on Sierra Club hikes and realized he seemed really happy all the time, always smiling. We'd talk a lot on the hikes. Eventually we got together after I got a ride home from one of them in his little convertible. I eventually learned the really happy always smiling thing was just prozac.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    I first met my wife while in college. I was dating a crazy German exchange student and we went out that night to a black light party b/c we were so cool. I first saw her and I was done. I danced with her for what seemed like hours (my girlfriend was so pissed but at that point I didn't care). We didn't see each other for a few months after that and life went on.

I went on a quick training assignment (30 days) for the Army and when I got back I told my roommate, "This is my last semester in college. No girlfriends just good times, partying and class". Well we went out and the first bar we went to my future wife was bartending. I had the worst pick-up line ever. I was hammered but had to speak to her (The German had finally went home). I walked up to her and said, "I've been looking for you". Creepy, yes. Weird, even more so but it worked. She looked at me with this odd expression and started laughing. We talked for about 15 minutes afterwards and she fed me free beer all night. We went out the next night and she moved in on our 2nd date (Her parents were in town & her apartment was tiny). We married 8 months later (to the day of our first date) and next month we celebrate 7 years of marriage and have 2 beautiful, healthy primal kids.

Again the pick-up line was ridiculous (That was the only l time I ever used one) but sometimes a little ridiculousness is all you need.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

I got laid off from one job and went back to my old job as a stocker/bag boy at the grocery store where she had started working. We also grew up in a super small town and lived about 3 miles from each other. We went to different high schools but I hung out with a lot of her guy friends in her class. Never met her until I started working with her, we were probably at parties together and stuff but we don't remember each other.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Blind date, college

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    I was hitch hiking from Dunedin to the Auckland - on my own !!!!!! very naughty indeed..................... anyway he picked me up ........................30 years later he possibly regrets that split second decision !!!!!!!! LOL
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    did you have flowers in your hair?
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Mr Perfidy sir - no I didn't have flowers in my hair. Actually he had just dropped his girlfriend of two years at the airport to fly to Canada to live !

I was possibly the rebound pick up !!!!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    We met in my senior year in art school. I had just returned to the private art school we attended after taking a year at a state college for financial reasons and during that year he transferred in. We were in the minority because we were both older (he's 3 yrs younger than me) and we were both from working class backgrounds paying for own education, definitely not the typical student. We met in the painting studios, he caught my attention because he was incredibly funny and intelligent, he's a big guy built like a blacksmith (and indeed he did smith) but yet he did a perfect imitation of Morrissey from the Smiths.

He offered to help me put my painting in the rafters where we stored them and that was it; intelligent, witty and helpful not to mention a very talented artist. We've been together ever since, 24 yrs.

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    This has got to be one of my most favorite threads ever.

We met online through a mutual friend (my ex-girlfriend, in fact), she was friends with him, he had a girlfriend at the time. We were friends for a few years, then one day we both were single. He said, you know, I've always had a crush on you, maybe we should date. And I said ahhh, I don't know, for a dozen and one different reasons (we live 2 hours apart, he is 4 years younger, and how could anyone so gorgeous want someone like me? etc etc). I could not resist though, and next Monday we celebrate our one year anniversary.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    I was a 1st year grad student with a long distance boyfriend and went to the department Halloween party dressed as a T4 bacteriophage (a virus that infects E. coli). He was a couple years ahead of me and I hadn't met him yet. When another student introduced us, his first words were, "Well, I can see I should have come as E. coli". If you've ever seen video of T4 injecting its DNA into E. coli, you'll appreciate what a pervy thing that is to say to a woman you've just met. And yet, somehow, when he said it, it sounded almost charming.

We went out with groups of students over the next several months. I was very clear about having a boyfriend and he seemed perfectly happy to just be friends. Often after a night at a bar or a dance club, just the two of us would end up at Wendy's talking over Frosty's and French fries. (Hmm...a little foreshadowing of the many years of fatness ahead of us.) I had been giving him a hard time about not cooking, so he offered to make me dinner at his place. I went for dinner and never left. We actually don't really celebrate our wedding anniversary. We celebrate the anniversary of that night.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast