Thread: How to cook a turkey breast page

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I'm cooking one every couple of weeks and thought I would share my techniques to encourage others. I have it down!

I buy a big turkey breast from the Sav A Lot for about $1.69/lb, usually runs $14 or so dollars. Defrost it per how you wish, a couple of days in the fridge is always good. Check for any bags of giblets or whatever in there, although if not bagged, just leave them in to cook.

Put on a roasting rack in a roasting pan. Add water to about 1/4"-3/8". Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the breast making sure you don't push it through.

Preheat the over to 450 degrees. That is not a typo. The purpose is two fold; it crispens the skin and kind of gives a jump start to cooking the meat.

Put the turkey in the oven. Turn the heat down to 325 degrees. It will cook in a couple of hours. When it hits 170 degrees, it's done.

I do a couple of things to make this fit my routine. First, I don't cook it until 9PM so the over doesn't add more load to the A/C. Then I just leave the turkey in the oven until the AM. This finishes off any lesser cooked areas and has no down side. Remember, NOTHING is living in that oven. By the AM, it is ready to split in two (the hardest part!) and enjoy.

Save the juice, see my post on making primal gravy, or just use it as is.

Keep all the bones, giblets, and small pieces in a zip lock in the freezer. I also keep the juices there in a jar. After you collect a few carcasses, you have an incredible base for turkey soup.

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    What seasonings are best with a turkey breast?

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    How's the texture of the meat? At 170 I imagine it must be dry....

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I haven't cooked a turkey breast in a while, I should go see if any are on sale. I've tried a few different ways but my favorite was just like you recommended (except I think I turned it down to 350). I just got one of those thermometers that will beep when it reaches a certain temperature and that will make it so easy! =]

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaReina View Post
    How's the texture of the meat? At 170 I imagine it must be dry....
    The USDA recommendation is 165, and I generally trust them with poultry. I aim for 165, so I'm sure I've gone over, and have always had it turn out nice and moist.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.