Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VITAMIN D - Adverse reactions. page

Zelli88 is offline Senior Member

VITAMIN D - Adverse reactions.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey all,

Been trying to up my Vitamin D lately and am getting some odd side effects. The second I take it I start having problems breathing, such as an inability to take a deep breath. My angular chelitis flares up and I start feeling a bit different. I take Nature's Answer (drops, 2,000 IU per drop), and about 2-4000 iu's a day. I stopped taking them for a bit and decided to give it a try again, with the same reaction..

I had my levels tested over 3-4 months ago and they came back around 48. I haven't really supplemented since, and this was when I was out in the sun a lot. Maybe it's something to do with the added ingredients?? Thoughts?

-Ryan

Croak is offline Senior Member
    Try a different brand, it may well be something in the liquid carrier. I SERIOUSLY doubt it's the Vitamin D or you'd have the same reaction on a sunny day (where you can self-produce up to 20,000 IU).

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I'd try another brand because 'reactions' as you're experiencing almost always are due to whatever 'filler' is used. I use Carlson's VitD3 capsules because I've heard that they are the 'purest.'

mrsean1999 is offline Junior Member
    Are you allergic to wool, by any chance?

Most vitamin D is synthesized from lanolin, which is what people who are allergic to wool are actually allergic to.

The not breathing thing- that's bad. Don't play around with that. Seriously

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    You are going to need to supplement with Magnesium. My doctor, when recommending supplements to me, said that many folks get bad reactions to vitamin D because their bodies can't use up all of the mg in the dosage. Magnesium helps your body absorb and utilize the vitamin D.

Vitamin D & Magnesium Interaction | LIVESTRONG.COM

I take 1000mg of vitamin D and a 250mg supplement daily.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Croak View Post
    Try a different brand, it may well be something in the liquid carrier. I SERIOUSLY doubt it's the Vitamin D or you'd have the same reaction on a sunny day (where you can self-produce up to 20,000 IU).
    True..On a sunny day, during the summer, if I laid out in the sun I felt great. But, if I did it too long it would make me tired..Sometimes I would get a weird rash on my body and spleen pain..You could definitely be right. I use" Nature's Answer, Vitamin D-3 Drops, 4000 IU, 15 ml - iHerb.com

Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Yes, I'd try another brand because 'reactions' as you're experiencing almost always are due to whatever 'filler' is used. I use Carlson's VitD3 capsules because I've heard that they are the 'purest.'
    That's the brand I use at the moment, here's a link: Nature's Answer, Vitamin D-3 Drops, 4000 IU, 15 ml - iHerb.com

Quote Originally Posted by mrsean1999 View Post
    Are you allergic to wool, by any chance?

I have no idea...Maybe? The Vit D I use says the only other ingredient is EVOO. Unless the D itself is from wool. Never knew lanolin was from wool? Am I interpreting that correct?

Most vitamin D is synthesized from lanolin, which is what people who are allergic to wool are actually allergic to.

The not breathing thing- that's bad. Don't play around with that. Seriously
    So, I have to look for a lanolin free Vit D?? Any recommendations? I use: Nature's Answer, Vitamin D-3 Drops, 4000 IU, 15 ml - iHerb.com
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    You are going to need to supplement with Magnesium. My doctor, when recommending supplements to me, said that many folks get bad reactions to vitamin D because their bodies can't use up all of the mg in the dosage. Magnesium helps your body absorb and utilize the vitamin D.

Vitamin D & Magnesium Interaction | LIVESTRONG.COM

I take 1000mg of vitamin D and a 250mg supplement daily.

So, you're saying Vit D & Mg are synergistic? I guess that could be why I get such odd reactions then..I'm thinking now that it's either the Mg factor or the fact that it's from Lanolin..I don't get this bad of a reaction when in the sun..I'll look into Mg then. You take 1000 IU's of Vit D and 250mg of Mg per day?

Quote Originally Posted by Zelli88 View Post
    So, you're saying Vit D & Mg are synergistic? I guess that could be why I get such odd reactions then..I'm thinking now that it's either the Mg factor or the fact that it's from Lanolin..I don't get this bad of a reaction when in the sun..I'll look into Mg then. You take 1000 IU's of Vit D and 250mg of Mg per day?
    My doctor was the one who told me about D3 and Mg synergy, and I did some online research before spending the money on both supplements, which included the link I provided. And, yes, I take 1000 IU of D3 and 250mg of Mg daily, usually in the evenings because I can easily remember to take it with dinner. This is based on my doctor's recommendation because of my stats (I'm darker-skinned, work in a windowless office, and live very north in the northern hemisphere - all of which basically screw me when it comes to getting Vitamin D the natural sun-soaking way). Your needs may be different.

Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    My doctor was the one who told me about D3 and Mg synergy, and I did some online research before spending the money on both supplements, which included the link I provided. And, yes, I take 1000 IU of D3 and 250mg of Mg daily, usually in the evenings because I can easily remember to take it with dinner. This is based on my doctor's recommendation because of my stats (I'm darker-skinned, work in a windowless office, and live very north in the northern hemisphere - all of which basically screw me when it comes to getting Vitamin D the natural sun-soaking way). Your needs may be different.
    I see. Well, I live in Ohio, barely outside, and I'm lightly skinned. I may retry Vit D, but I think it may be a mixture of the Mg and it being from Lanolin..I do have low testosterone, and I know D and testosterone are related. What improvements have you experienced since using them together?

Quote Originally Posted by Zelli88 View Post
    I see. Well, I live in Ohio, barely outside, and I'm lightly skinned. I may retry Vit D, but I think it may be a mixture of the Mg and it being from Lanolin..I do have low testosterone, and I know D and testosterone are related. What improvements have you experienced since using them together?
    I notice I don't get cramps as often (thanks to the Mg, I guess), which is good for me because I was very prone to getting charley horses in the middle of the night, as well as when I swim. I'm swimming 3 days per week and I used to cramp up in my ribs and calf at least once per week - now, not at all in the past 4 times I've swam laps.

The D3 effects... I'm not sure. I have acne and oily skin... so I don't know if this will affect that at all. I guess I'll find that out in future blood work when I can compare to where I was before the supplements.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast