Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to go? page

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member

What's the best way to go?

Shop Now
    Confession time: I'm a sugar addict. Like, a sugar addict of the worst kind. I'm talking an entire box of cereal, a pack of oreos, and a few candy bars, all gone in a little over an hour. I've never been overweight, because I run almost daily (and my young metabolism probably helps -- 20-year old female).

I've been having some serious trouble staying on the paleo wagon. My cravings get absolutely out of control, even after just 12 hours of clean eating. I rarely manage to get past one full day without giving in... and yes, I'm stuffing myself with fat (Kerrygold butter, avocado, macadamia butter, egg yolks, sausage, heavy cream).

I'm thinking I have three options.
    1) go zero-carb (in order to reduce the insulin spikes as much as possible)
    2.) raise my carbs to around 80 or 90 grams per day (rather than my current 30 or 40... am I in this "zone of misery" I've heard people talk about?)
    3.) a fat fast. When I have nothing but fat, my insulin (seems to) stay steady and my cravings are in control. Add in some carbs (or even protein) and wham -- cravings, shakes, the whole nine yards. On my fat fast I'd probably be doing straight whipped cream, maybe some macadamias for variety.

Any thoughts on my problem, or if any one of these tactics could help me? Thanks so much guys... this community has always been so great when I come with questions.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    You will get mixed advice on here.
    But there are many of us who's sugar cravings went away when going low carb, high fat. How long has it been though?
    But since you have no weight to lose, I can't be sure that is right for you. I guess if you are eating enough it wouldn't cause you to lose more.

You are mentioning insulin, are you diabetic?

Can you post a typical days food?
    Others will ask too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    You will get mixed advice on here.
    But there are many of us who's sugar cravings went away when going low carb, high fat. How long has it been though?
    But since you have no weight to lose, I can't be sure that is right for you. I guess if you are eating enough it wouldn't cause you to lose more.

You are mentioning insulin, are you diabetic?

Can you post a typical days food?
    Others will ask too.
    I'm not diabetic. I only mention insulin because, in all the research I've done about sugar addiction/cravings/blood glucose, insulin has seemed to be central.

Typical day's food:
    Four or five eggs fried in Kerrygold around 11am
    2 or 3 tablespoons of Macadamia butter around 3:00
    Dinner around 6:00 is around 6oz of chicken or sausage with a whole avocado and some greens (kale/spinach)

OK cool, just wanted to clarify

Your food looks fine to me, I gather you are just eating when you are hungry?

How long have you been eating like this? It can take a few weeks or even longer before the cravings go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    OK cool, just wanted to clarify

Your food looks fine to me, I gather you are just eating when you are hungry?

How long have you been eating like this? It can take a few weeks or even longer before the cravings go away.
    Thanks for your input! I really appreciate it.
    I've been "trying" primal/paleo on and off for almost four months now... and by trying, I mean I'll stick to my guns for 48 to 72 hours, and then feel so shaky and aggressive and weepy (not sad, but just shaken-up? I don't know if that makes sense) that I'll give in and eat sugar.
    I'm thinking the fat fast might get me through at least a week or so, so that I can at least stabilize my blood sugar and eliminate the worst of the cravings.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Why do you even have cereals/oreos/candy bars in the house?

Quick, don't think about pink elephants! What's in your mind right now?

If you focus on what you can't do (eating the forbidden foods) you are doomed to failure.

Focus on the good foods you can eat, and given yourself free reign to eat them. Craving a snack? Have some nuts, jerky or slices of cheese. Want something sweet? have a piece of fruit or dark chocolate.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    Thanks for your input! I really appreciate it.
    I've been "trying" primal/paleo on and off for almost four months now... and by trying, I mean I'll stick to my guns for 48 to 72 hours, and then feel so shaky and aggressive and weepy (not sad, but just shaken-up? I don't know if that makes sense) that I'll give in and eat sugar.
    I'm thinking the fat fast might get me through at least a week or so, so that I can at least stabilize my blood sugar and eliminate the worst of the cravings.
    Shaky as in weak?
    If I felt like that, I would probably think I needed more carbs (Yes Zach and Derp I said that )

Oh and yes I agree with that, don't have the shit in the house.
    yes I know its possible to go and buy more, but if its not right there, it won't be tempting you as much.

What about trying some fruit next time you feel that way? And see how you feel.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Why do you even have cereals/oreos/candy bars in the house?

Quick, don't think about pink elephants! What's in your mind right now?

If you focus on what you can't do (eating the forbidden foods) you are doomed to failure.

Focus on the good foods you can eat, and given yourself free reign to eat them. Craving a snack? Have some nuts, jerky or slices of cheese. Want something sweet? have a piece of fruit or dark chocolate.
    I don't actually keep them in the house, haha... I'm a college student, and there's a convenience store literally three steps from my door, and three dining halls just a bit further.

I think I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and maybe that's killing me. So far, I've been steering clear of almost all dairy (except butter... cream, I feel, is even a bit of a stretch), fruit, and most nuts. That seems to be eliminating some of the most inexpensive, filling sources of food -- particularly healthy, easy fats like cheese. Maybe I should add those back in for now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast